36 gallon bowfront stocking

  • Thread starter Crimson_687
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
So I recently transferred fish from a 10 gallon to a 36 gallon bowfront when my 10g burst. I’m using my 10g filter to aide the cycle. I’m looking to get more fish. My family wants to get some larger fish, but since I already have fish in there I can’t get anything too aggressive. My current stock is

5x neon tetra
1x male betta fish
1x Nerite snail
3x amano shrimp
2x harlequin rasbora (they are the last of an old school that died off after a few years. I’ve considered getting more, but since they’re old I’d rather not. It’s been the two of them for a long time and I feel like younger rasbora will bully them. I also can’t seem to find any healthy ones anymore. At multiple LFSs they looked sickly and pale).

OFC I won’t add fish for at least 2 weeks. I haven’t tried my 10g yet, but I think I’ll be able to use it as a QT with some silicone. I don’t wanna use it long term tho bc I get paranoid
 
  • #2

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,200
I would start by upping the tetra school to ten or more. After that, I would add some bronze or albino corys.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
Do you think ram cichlids would work? My betta is very docile, I just don’t want a fish that will bully my betta
 
  • #4

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,200
I wouldn't think so. Dwarf cichlids and rams can get territorial and might not be a good idea.
 
  • #5

bradleygt89

New Member
Member
Messages
16
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
I prefer the look of blue/German rams.. I’ve never kept rams before. Are they more aggressive than your bolivan rams?

Also I love your tank!!
 
  • #7

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,727
If you go with a German Blue Ram, I wouldn't buy one from a big box pet store. Only from a breeder with quality strains.

If your really interested in them, and your anle to maintain your tank's cycle and perform decent sized weekly WC's, then pick up a 1m/2f 3-pack from CoralBandit. He is the forum's Ram breeding guru.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
Islandvic said:
If you go with a German Blue Ram, I wouldn't buy one from a big box pet store. Only from a breeder with quality strains.

If your really interested in them, and your anle to maintain your tank's cycle and perform decent sized weekly WC's, then pick up a 1m/2f 3-pack from CoralBandit. He is the forum's Ram breeding guru.
Makes sense, big box stores keep their tanks too overcrowded to allow proper fish behavior. Unfortunately the non-chain fish stores we have nearby still get there fish from mass providers, so not really much different from chain stores. The providers are different tho, the local chain store gets their fish from Sunpet (Atlanta) and the LFS get theirs from Florida (idk exact source). I’ll do more research on rams before a final decision tho. For now just throwing ideas out there.

Was also considering a small school of rainbowfish?
 
  • #9

bradleygt89

New Member
Member
Messages
16
Crimson_687 said:
I prefer the look of blue/German rams.. I’ve never kept rams before. Are they more aggressive than your bolivan rams?

Also I love your tank!!
I've not kept GBR's, and I really like them too, love the colors. However, they need a bit warmer water (80-84 F) than what my other community fish prefer (76 F). Some also say that GBRs are more sensitive to water changes and have to really watch your tank's nitrogen cycle. I had some bad luck when I first started this whole aquarium thing, so I am a bit shy of any fish not listed as 'hardy'.

Thanks for the compliment :) It took a while, but very happy with the tank now. Love how tall the bowfronts are, really gives the community a chance to have their own area.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
bradleygt89 said:
I've not kept GBR's, and I really like them too, love the colors. However, they need a bit warmer water (80-84 F) than what my other community fish prefer (76 F). Some also say that GBRs are more sensitive to water changes and have to really watch your tank's nitrogen cycle. I had some bad luck when I first started this whole aquarium thing, so I am a bit shy of any fish not listed as 'hardy'.

Thanks for the compliment :) It took a while, but very happy with the tank now. Love how tall the bowfronts are, really gives the community a chance to have their own area.
Yeah I realized the temp issue while researching.. I could make it work but it’s a bit toasty for my neon tetra. It’s better to keep all my fish comfortable than get 2 fish just bcs I like them.
 
  • #11

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,200
Crimson_687 said:
Yeah I realized the temp issue while researching.. I could make it work but it’s a bit toasty for my neon tetra. It’s better to keep all my fish comfortable than get 2 fish just bcs I like them.
Bolivian rams may be the way to go then. They have a temperature range of 77-82 degrees. I would probably keep them around 78.
I'm not sure how they will mix with the betta though.
 
  • #12

bradleygt89

New Member
Member
Messages
16
AquaticQueen said:
Bolivian rams may be the way to go then. They have a temperature range of 77-82 degrees. I would probably keep them around 78.
I'm not sure how they will mix with the betta though.
My Bolivian Rams pretty much stay on the bottom area, only coming up when I feed flakes. And even when the Honey Gouramis and Cherry barbs swim by them, the rams don't bother them other than the very occasional play nip. Don't bettas stay more on the top too?
 
  • #13

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,200
bradleygt89 said:
My Bolivian Rams pretty much stay on the bottom area, only coming up when I feed flakes. And even when the Honey Gouramis and Cherry barbs swim by them, the rams don't bother them other than the very occasional play nip. Don't bettas stay more on the top too?
My betta goes everywhere in the tank, but it all depends on the individual betta.
The bolivians and the betta should work as long as your betta isn't super aggressive.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
my betta hangs out wherever there are plants and driftwood. He likes exploring and investigating, so he's usually hanging on the bottom, but I've had him for over 2 years now and he's still active as ever. Pretty much swims all over. I'm planning to get a large piece of driftwood to fill the tank and some taller plants to break up the tank, so the fish don't feel threatened by each other. He's really active, but also very mellow and not a strong swimmer so I'm more worried about fish bullying him than him bullying fish.

I used to keep a Dwarf Gourami and I like the idea of having 2-3 honey gourami. From what I've read they're more mellow than rams and their temp range is good for neons. However, my water is quite hard and HG prefer softer water. Is it possible to 'adjust' fish to harder water? I know it sounds weird, but I often see soft-water fish at the LFS in hard-water tanks. They say that fish can 'adjust' to harder water... it sounded crazy, but this store genuinely cares about their fish and all their fish were healthy and showing normal behavior. I've never seen sick fish there and they are one of the few that don't overstock. They don't breed most of their fish tho, idk their provider, but the store does breed gouramis last time I went in.
 
  • #15

bradleygt89

New Member
Member
Messages
16
I live in Southwest Florida, and even though I'm on city water, it is very, very hard. I do filter it via the refrigerator water filter, but still tests very high on hardness. I think as long as all your other parameters are good, they adapt fine, as mine seem to do.
 
  • #16

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,200
Crimson_687 said:
my betta hangs out wherever there are plants and driftwood. He likes exploring and investigating, so he's usually hanging on the bottom, but I've had him for over 2 years now and he's still active as ever. Pretty much swims all over. I'm planning to get a large piece of driftwood to fill the tank and some taller plants to break up the tank, so the fish don't feel threatened by each other. He's really active, but also very mellow and not a strong swimmer so I'm more worried about fish bullying him than him bullying fish.

I used to keep a Dwarf Gourami and I like the idea of having 2-3 honey gourami. From what I've read they're more mellow than rams and their temp range is good for neons. However, my water is quite hard and HG prefer softer water. Is it possible to 'adjust' fish to harder water? I know it sounds weird, but I often see soft-water fish at the LFS in hard-water tanks. They say that fish can 'adjust' to harder water... it sounded crazy, but this store genuinely cares about their fish and all their fish were healthy and showing normal behavior. I've never seen sick fish there and they are one of the few that don't overstock. They don't breed most of their fish tho, idk their provider, but the store does breed gouramis last time I went in.
Most fish can adapt to GH outside of their recommended range, while others, like certain African cichlids (which need hard water) will not survive in soft water.
I wouldn't do DGs and bettas together, seeing as they come from the same family and they may not adapt to each other.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
AquaticQueen said:
Most fish can adapt to GH outside of their recommended range, while others, like certain African cichlids (which need hard water) will not survive in soft water.
I wouldn't do DGs and bettas together, seeing as they come from the same family and they may not adapt to each other.
Should have been more specific, I meant honey gourami.
 
  • #18

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,200
Crimson_687 said:
Should have been more specific, I meant honey gourami.
Well, honey gourami are much more mellow, but they are still in the same family and I wouldn't risk it unless you have a back up tank for the betta to go in in case it doesn't work.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
AquaticQueen said:
Well, honey gourami are much more mellow, but they are still in the same family and I wouldn't risk it unless you have a back up tank for the betta to go in in case it doesn't work.
I siliconed the 10g and haven’t tried to fill it yet since the silicone needed time to cure. If the 10g is, for some reason, not an option, I still have the 3 gallon tank he used to live in. If it doesn’t work out I can move the betta, though he’s really happy in the 36. I also know a few places where I can rehome the Honey gourami if they do end up super aggressive, but I won’t unless I have to.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
I tried to fill the 10g and it was still leaking. It looks to be a crack in the glass, not the silicone itself. Also, the silicone we used peeled right off, even after curing it for more than the instructed amount of time. Lesson learned to use aquarium sealant, not just a squeeze bottle of silicone. I'll try to pick up some aquarium sealant and try again, though I feel like it may be more worthwhile to wait for PetCo $ per gallon sale.
 
  • #21

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,200
Crimson_687 said:
I tried to fill the 10g and it was still leaking. It looks to be a crack in the glass, not the silicone itself. Also, the silicone we used peeled right off, even after curing it for more than the instructed amount of time. Lesson learned to use aquarium sealant, not just a squeeze bottle of silicone. I'll try to pick up some aquarium sealant and try again, though I feel like it may be more worthwhile to wait for PetCo $ per gallon sale.
I would wait until the roller per gallon sale rolls around. Buying a new tank would probably just be cheaper than aquarium sealant.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #22

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
So I did some research on Honey gourami and I have a few questions:

I found some sources that said males can be kept together, but on most Fishlore and planted tank forum threads it was recommended to only keep one male. Is it possible to keep males together? If not, I saw a few recommend powder blue females over male honey gouramis. Would that be a better option? Also read about pearl gourami.. are they actually as docile as some claim?
 
  • #23

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,200
Crimson_687 said:
So I did some research on Honey gourami and I have a few questions:

I found some sources that said males can be kept together, but on most Fishlore and planted tank forum threads it was recommended to only keep one male. Is it possible to keep males together? If not, I saw a few recommend powder blue females over male honey gouramis. Would that be a better option? Also read about pearl gourami.. are they actually as docile as some claim?
I would only keep a single male. They are mellow fish, but they can still fight.
Powder blue gourami are female dwarf gourami and are much more peaceful than males. I have seen them put together, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Pearl gourami are capable of fighting and even killing each other, and they can nip tankmates. They can act this way regardless of gender.
I would stick to the honeys. Even female dwarf gourami may not work with a betta, being in the same family and they could fight.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #24

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
So I lucked out yesterday and found 3 honey gourami at LFS. They were in perfect condition (good appetite too). Waiting to see how it goes, but so far neither betta nor gourami have shown aggression to the other. They ate right next to each other and didn’t seem to care. My only worry is the gouramis themselves fighting, but as of now they get along well and act as if they were schooling fish. They follow each other around the tank. I’ve seen some minor dominance displays among the gourami, but no nipping.

I was planning to finish off my tank with a school of cardinal tetras. I know AqAdvisor isn’t accurate, but I thought I would use it for an estimate.. well 15 cardinal tetras with my current stocking seems like a lot. I was thinking maybe 8 cardinals?
 
  • #25

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,200
15 cardinals sounds like a lot and something you would do for an all species tank.
6-8 would be a good number.
Glad things are going well with the betta and gourami.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #26

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
AquaticQueen said:
15 cardinals sounds like a lot and something you would do for an all species tank.
6-8 would be a good number.
Glad things are going well with the betta and gourami.
Agreed. I was pretty shocked when 15 cardinals showed 97% stocking on AqAdvisor. That’s double what should be an acceptable number with the current stock
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #27

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
So my family really loves the honey gouramis and are wanting more in the tank... my thinking is no, but I wanted opinions on if it was possible.

Also wanted an age estimate on the ones I got and if/if not they are hybrids. They seem small, but their coloration is pretty developed so not sure how close to adulthood they are.
 

Attachments

  • #28

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,200
Honey gourami only get like 2 inches max so maybe they are juveniles?
I probably wouldn't add anymore with original stocking.
Beautiful gouramis by the way.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #29

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,661
AquaticQueen said:
Honey gourami only get like 2 inches max so maybe they are juveniles?
I probably wouldn't add anymore with original stocking.
Beautiful gouramis by the way.
I’ll stick with getting the 8 cardinals then.
 
Top Bottom