36 Gallon Bowfront Stocking

  • Thread starter bradm92
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

bradm92

New Member
Member
Messages
13
Hello,
I just joined this forum and am needing some ideas to stock my 36 Gallon Bowfront Aquarium (30.7” L x 15.7” W x 22.2” H).
I would definitely like to get an angelfish and would like some ideas for compatible friends.
I would also like to get some bottoms dwellers that will be ok with my gravel (see image).
I haven’t put too much into the tank yet just a few items.
Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • #2

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,219
IMO, 36 gallons may be a little small for angels, but if you really want to do them, how about this? Angels shouldn't be kept by themselves.
2 paired up angelfish.
10 lemon, x ray, or blind cave tetras.
6-8 bronze or albino corys?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

bradm92

New Member
Member
Messages
13
AquaticQueen said:
IMO, 36 gallons may be a little small for angels, but if you really want to do them, how about this? Angels shouldn't be kept by themselves.
2 paired up angelfish.
10 lemon, x ray, or blind cave tetras.
6-8 bronze or albino corys?
Wow those xrays are awesome! Is that the same as glass fish? Kind of dig the blind cave ones too!
 
  • #4

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,335
30 inches is a bit small for angels. IMO would not do it. A mated pair needs space to themselves and shouldn't be housed in community tanks that small. Angels also are social fish and really should not be housed alone and should have a group of at least 5 or so and you need a 4 foot tank for that.

I would suggest something like bolivian rams or honey gouramis. Both great fish and good alternatives to angels.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

bradm92

New Member
Member
Messages
13
FinalFins said:
30 inches is a bit small for angels. IMO would not do it. A mated pair needs space to themselves and shouldn't be housed in community tanks that small. Angels also are social fish and really should not be housed alone and should have a group of at least 5 or so and you need a 4 foot tank for that.

I would suggest something like bolivian rams or honey gouramis. Both great fish and good alternatives to angels.
Thanks for the honest tip! I really like those Bolivian rams.
 
  • #6

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,219
bradm92 said:
Thanks for the honest tip! I really like those Bolivian rams.
Here's another stocking idea.
2 German blue rams (1 male, 1 female)
8-10 cardinal tetras
6-8 sterbai or emerald green corys
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

bradm92

New Member
Member
Messages
13
What about 2 german blue rams. 6-8 sterbai and then I really like the blind cave tetra and X-ray tetra so maybe 10 of one of those? Would that be a good mix?
 
  • #8

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,219
bradm92 said:
What about 2 german blue rams. 6-8 sterbai and then I really like the blind cave tetra and X-ray tetra so maybe 10 of one of those? Would that be a good mix?
The water for the GBRs needs would be too warm for the blind cave tetras, but I think the x ray would be fine if you kept the water at 81 degrees F.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

bradm92

New Member
Member
Messages
13
Gotcha. I have a tetra ht40 Heater. It automatically keeps the temp between 76-80. Guess I should’ve put that in there lol
 
  • #10

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,335
You would be better with bolivian rams. They can take lower temps than GBR and 76-80 is fine for them, although they would prefer 76-78.
 
  • #11

CDA

New Member
Member
Messages
47
I am about 10 months in on my 36 gallon bowfront. My stocking is as follows:
5 black skirt tetras
1 silver angelfish (appears to be a female)
2 swordtails M/F
3 platys
4 albino corys
So far so good everyone gets along fine. I am fully stocked now with lots of plants and decor. I added the juvenile angelfish last, about 4 months ago. She makes for a nice showfish usually out in front. Very happy and satisfied with the outcome. I find a 79 degree tank works well for these species of fish. Best of luck with your stocking decisions. Enjoy!!!IMG_1827.JPGIMG_1829.JPGIMG_1834.JPG
 
Top Bottom