36 gallon bowfront stocking help

NotAPufferfish

So the 40 gallon breeder I was going to get was bought before I can grab it but I did see a nice sale on a 36 gal bowfront tank which was a tempting offer which I went for. I am stuck between making a biotope of sorts or creating a tank that is dedicated to breeding one of the CARES species (but I don't know which one to choose). Any thoughts? I am leaning towards breeding a CARES species personally but I still like the idea of a biotope.

oodelally

What are CARES species?

I am leaning toward a biotope as well for a 37 gallon. My current stocking plan of Lambchop Rasboras, Siamese Algae Eater, and Pearl Gourami are all from Thailand. The only thing I don’t like about the idea is I wouldn’t be able to get corydoras if I wanted to and I really like them.

I think if you can find a good mix from a region go with a biotope. Then again I’m not sure what falls under CARES species.

Upvote 0

NotAPufferfish

What are CARES species?

I am leaning toward a biotope as well for a 37 gallon. My current stocking plan of Lambchop Rasboras, Siamese Algae Eater, and Pearl Gourami are all from Thailand. The only thing I don’t like about the idea is I wouldn’t be able to get corydoras if I wanted to and I really like them.

I think if you can find a good mix from a region go with a biotope. Then again I’m not sure what falls under CARES species.

CARES species are fish that are endangered in the hobby and the goal of the organization is to have more hobbyists to keep and breed these fish. I'm leaning to that because I think it will be an interesting project.

Upvote 0

oodelally

Do you know so species in particular? What would you do with the babies you breed?

Upvote 0

oodelally

You’re lucky you have that option, none of my local fish stores buy fish from customers.

Upvote 0

NotAPufferfish

You’re lucky you have that option, none of my local fish stores buy fish from customers.

You could theoretically order fish from breeders online or have your local fish stores order them for you? But that's besides the point.

I was thinking butterfly goodieds but can anyone second this or give another option for a CARES fish?

Upvote 0

NotAPufferfish

I decided just to do a biotope. Any interesting ideas?

Upvote 0

NotAPufferfish

Asian biotope.
Where in Asia specifically and any good ideas for stocking?

Upvote 0

FinalFins

Where in Asia specifically and any good ideas for stocking?
I can't give an exact area you could do, but I suggest checking out this link for inspiration.

Upvote 0

NotAPufferfish

I can't give an exact area you could do, but I suggest checking out this link for inspiration.

While my tab seems to be somewhat hard, I think a peat moss filtration and some Almond leaves should do the trick to do a biotope (Unless there is a hardwater biotope I am unaware of). I've thought of two ideas for stocking for this aquarium.

Sumatran biotope
1-2 Pearl gourami
8-12 Harlequin rasboras
7 Khuli loaches

Colombian biotope
1-2 Apistogramma cacatuoides
12 Cardinal Tetras
6 oto cats
1 clown pleco

Which one of these would work? Or should I just make it into a puffer tank and get a larger puffer for my namesake?

Upvote 0

FinalFins

While my tab seems to be somewhat hard, I think a peat moss filtration and some Almond leaves should do the trick to do a biotope (Unless there is a hardwater biotope I am unaware of). I've thought of two ideas for stocking for this aquarium.

Sumatran biotope
1-2 Pearl gourami
8-12 Harlequin rasboras
7 Khuli loaches

Colombian biotope
1-2 Apistogramma cacatuoides
12 Cardinal Tetras
6 oto cats
1 clown pleco

Which one of these would work? Or should I just make it into a puffer tank and get a larger puffer for my namesake?
the African rift lakes are some hard water biotopes you can do.

I'm on board the puffer train, but I would do option 1. with 3 gouramis.

Upvote 0

NotAPufferfish

the African rift lakes are some hard water biotopes you can do.

I'm on board the puffer train, but I would do option 1. with 3 gouramis.

Out of curiosity which fish would work in a rift lake biotope with my size tank?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
connorjs1004
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies
Views