36 gallon bowfront planted tank stocking

angsess78

Hi, I am setting up a 36 gallon bowfront an am looking for stocking ideas. I am set up midsized smooth gravel, a large piece of driftwood, a few river stones, and a reasonable covering of plants. I am working on cycling now but am having real analysis paralysis trying to come up with a stocking list. I want variety and color. I like the idea of an electric blue ram (or maybe electric blue acara?), and a few honey gourami just to give an example. Anyone have a good stocking idea?

Turnips

With a 36 you have a lot of options :) I love the idea of German blue rams because they have a very striking appearance and are fun to watch! You could always pick a schooling fish like neon tetras to compliment the plants. Danios are also really fun to look at because they are always moving around. Really any small schooling fish could be neat, you could do a school of like 7 and then a few centerpieces like the rams or gouramis. It’s all up to what you want though - I personally love some dwarf cichlids and a schooling fish in that size :) I’ve seen some people do just different schooling fish which also looks awesome.

strobukm

Keep in mind that the electric blue ram needs to be kept at pretty high temperatures (at least 82 F), so you'd be limited to other high temperature fish if you go that route. Do you know what your water parameters are? pH, GH, KH? That could help determine which fish are suitable for your tank. If you'd like to stick with rams, you could always consider Bolivian Rams. They're not as colorful as blue rams, but they're much more tolerant of a variety of water conditions and temperatures.

angsess78

I haven't checked hardness yet as I don't have that test kit, but we generally have pretty hard water. pH is testing about 7.4. I have read a bit about electric blue rams and I am seeing temp ranges of 78-84 or 86 most places. Pretty much everything I have read puts it at a lower temperature than a German Blue. I am guessing that is incorrect? I was thinking keeping the tank around 80 would work.

I am not set on any particular kind of fish. I am really hoping for a good bit of color from something with a decent size. I am open to suggestions.

strobukm

The electric blue ram is just a color variation of the german blue ram, both are Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, so the same temperature requirements apply. 7.4 isn't too high for pH, but knowing hardness would be helpful. Assuming your hardness isn't super high how about
2 x Electric Blue Rams
8-10 x Cardinal Tetras
6 x Sterbai Corydoras
4 x honey gourami (I'm not 100% sure if these will work at the higher temperature as I don't have personal experience with them - I'll let others chime in)

You could also do bronze or albino corydoras aeneus if you can't find the Sterbai or if you don't like the price as Sterbais tend to be pricy.

angsess78

The electric blue ram is just a color variation of the german blue ram, both are Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, so the same temperature requirements apply. 7.4 isn't too high for pH, but knowing hardness would be helpful. Assuming your hardness isn't super high how about
2 x Electric Blue Rams
8-10 x Cardinal Tetras
6 x Sterbai Corydoras
4 x honey gourami (I'm not 100% sure if these will work at the higher temperature as I don't have personal experience with them - I'll let others chime in)

You could also do bronze or albino corydoras aeneus if you can't find the Sterbai or if you don't like the price as Sterbais tend to be pricy.
That looks like a good list. I will do some more research on the honeys and see if that will work. Thanks for the input!

Another thought:
I have also considered trying kribensuis or apisto but read they are more aggressive.
Can I get away with a single or pair of either of these with honey gourami or are they to aggressive?
Also, could I do a single electric blue acara with some honeys, corys, and schooling fish?

I have also considered doing something built around dwarf gourami. I ma wondering if I can do more than one of those or combine them with honeys?

angsess78

Ok, got my hardness kit, here is the way my water is testing:
Ph 7.5
Ammonia 1ppm
nitrite 0.25 ppm
nitrate 10ppm
KH 140ppm
GH 40ppm

The reading other than hardness were the same 24 hours ago. I have done nothing to the tank other than treat with prime. I am assuming the ammonia is coming from chloramine. I have no idea where the nitrite is from.

angsess78

Adding a photo of the setup:
tank.jpg
Hopefully this helps with ideas. I am really open to anything that would be suitable and give me a centerpiece type fish and some background guys,
Can I do
3 pearl gourami (1m 2F)
6 corys ( maybe salt and pepper?)
10 or so schooling fish
If so, does anyone have a suggestion on a suitable schooling fish? I am planning to add a black background to the tank as soon as it gets here, so something that would look good against that would be ideal.

angsess78

I am reading conflicting information, and wanted to get some opinions on putting a single angelfish in a tank this size with bottom dewellers and a schooling fish. I see some of the opinion that you need at least 55 gallons, and some people arguing that 29 gallons is fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
Replies
Views
bettasplendid