36 Gallon Bowfront... Ehiem 2215 Or 2217?

BadBeans

I am setting up a 36 gallon bowfront. I want to purchase a canister filter and seeking Fishlore advice on which one. Should I get the Eheim Classic 2215 or 2217? The flow rate per hour for the 2215 is 172 GPH and the 2217 is 264 GPH. So the 2215 is close to the 5x rate and the 2217 is like 7.5x flow rate.

I just don't know how much filtration I am going to need or want in the future. So your advice and direction would be most helpful. Thanks!

Geoff

If it were me, I'd err on the side of overfiltration rather than under. The usual recommendation is 5-6x tank volume for canisters, so the 2217 seems a better pick to me. Better to have more than you need rather than not enough when it comes to filtration, in my opinion.

BadBeans

Do you think a 2217 would cause too much current in the tank for fish/plants?

Thanks for the reply btw! I appreciate it.

Geoff

Honestly, I'm not familiar with Eheims, but I can't imagine being a little higher in gph will cause any issues. I have a Fluval 406 in my 36g bowfront, and that canister is rated at 383 gph. But the flow is adjustable.

Edit: I'd wait to see what those who've used Eheims have to say though.

Geoff

Honestly, I'm not familiar with Eheims, but I can't imagine being a little higher in gph will cause any issues. I have a Fluval 406 in my 36g bowfront, and that canister is rated at 383 gph. But the flow is adjustable.

BadBeans

Thanks for your help! I've decided to buy a Eheim Classic 2217. From my web searching I've found It has a higher listed GPH but when media is added drops a bit. The classic Eheim's have no pass through, which is good. Additionally, most people report it is quiet as a mouse (as long as you don't mess up the impeller with sand or something).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
1971roadrunner
Replies
Views
Teleost
Replies
Views