36 Gallon Bowfront - Bio Filtration?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by LEPS43211, Apr 26, 2017.

1. LEPS43211New MemberMember

Hello Fishlore Users,

I am looking for some suggestions. I currently have 36 gallon bowfont freshwater tank. I have a Fluval aquaclear 70 and its awesome (Upgraded form stock aqueon quiet flow 30), I love the fluval and it does a great job of keeping the water clear and the circulation going. The opposite side of the tank has small dead spots and can sometimes accumulate quite a bit of bio waste. I was thinking of either putting back my aqueon 30 as a second HOB filter or possibly getting a small sponge filter and place it in the corner.

Community Tank:
    36 gallon bowfront
    Aquaclear 70
    Air Stone
    Carib sea Moonlight Sand

Fish Stock:
    2 Angel Fish
    4 Glo- Tetras
    2 Electric Rams
    1 Gold fish

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

2. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I think either of those options would work. A second HOB would probably provide more filtration than a sponge filter.

You have some stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them.:)

3. LEPS43211New MemberMember

I feel like a second HOB would be overkill when it comes to circulation, I am wondering if the fish would tire out. The Aquaclear is rated around 300 gph and the the aqueon about 200.

And sure, any suggestions on live stock are appreciated. Fairly new to the the aquarium world.

Thanks

4. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

If the flow is too strong there are ways of helping the fish.
    You can
    Make a filter baffle
    Attach a spay bar to spread out the flow
    Stuff the filter with filter media to slow the flow

The angelfish and rams need 78f+ while the glo tetras need water below 75f and the goldfish needs water below 72f.
    What type of goldfish?

5. LEPS43211New MemberMember

I have an aqueon water heater at default 78F .

The goldfish is
    The Common Goldfish
    Carassius Auratus

Had to google him, This all started because I won a Goldfish at the county fair for my wife about a year ago and my buddy said the gold fish would die in a week, "Challenge accepted"!

6. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Common goldfish can grow to over 30cm and need 150 gallons minimum. He would also appreciate another single tail goldfish for company as they are social fish.
    If you have a pond they are very rewarding fish! I'm currently raising common goldfish fry. Goldfish can become very tame and some of mine eat from my hand and swim through hoops!

If you are willing to rehome some fish you can give us an idea of what sort of fish you like and we can come up with a suitable stocking plan for your tank :)

7. LEPS43211New MemberMember

Thank you for the information and suggestions. I will keep them in mind.

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice