40 Gallon Tank 36 gallon, 36 inch long, stocking ideas including a Pearl Gourami.

OuiBonjour

I was going to sell my two 36 gallons in order to buy a 75 and do a Male Peacocks Show Tank, but let's say the budget is not there yet, so I want to do something with my 36.

I really would like to have a pearl gourami as a centerpiece. I'm pretty open to any other suggestions. My girlfriend loves big guys, so maybe a bunch of medium size fish could do, but I read so many fish descriptions in the past few months that my thoughts are all scrambled up now lol

Would some small versions of Geophagus or similar looking fish do ? I don't mean Rams, but there might be a similar looking fish in between both, size wise.

Well in fact, I'll let you guys talk : I'm open to all suggestions, even if it includes only small schooling fish.

Thanks !

Oh, no Khulis and no Black/White-Skirts/Glo-Tetras please. Already have them, would like to do something else!

BigManAquatics

Tiger barbs do grow to a medium size. Might notnbe great with a gourami with those long trailers...but i never had problems keeping gouramis and tiger barbs together. Just gotta make sure you have 8-10 or so.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I'd start with three pearl gouramis (1M, 2F) instead of one.

Edit: . . . or maybe, if it's at least moderately planted, 8 or so, and stop with that. That fills the requirement of larger fish, and they like being in groups anyway. I have 9 in my 40 gallon breeder.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

I'd start with three pearl gouramis (1M, 2F) instead of one.

Edit: . . . or maybe, if it's at least moderately planted, 8 or so, and stop with that. That fills the requirement of larger fish, and they like being in groups anyway. I have 9 in my 40 gallon breeder.

Oh didn't know this could be done. What would be the perfect M/F ratio if I'd go with 8, 2 male 6 females ? Also could a school of smaller fishes could be added ?

Let's Say I go with 4 mâles 4 females ?

Also, is There agression between them ?

Iike my tanks heavily plantes and with lots of hidings spots :)

What about your suggestion of a trop, what would you add with them ? I don't mind if they're smaller, having three (or 8) is already good news since I only thought I could get one!

Sorry for Strange typos and capital letters, got a new autocorrext and it's acting Up like it only understands french.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Oh didn't know this could be done. What would be the perfect M/F ratio if I'd go with 8, 2 male 6 females ? Also could a school of smaller fishes could be added ?

Let's Say I go with 4 mâles 4 females ?

Also, is There agression between them ?

Iike my tanks heavily plantes and with lots of hidings spots :)

What about your suggestion of a trop, what would you add with them ? I don't mind if they're smaller, having three (or 8) is already good news since I only thought I could get one!

Sorry for Strange typos and capital letters, got a new autocorrext and it's acting Up like it only understands french.
  • 2 males with 6 females would be fine.
  • There may be some aggression, but since you said you like heavily planted tanks there will be hiding places so any aggression should be minor.
  • I have serpae tetras and pristella tetras with mine. Any similar tetra or rasbora should work.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Thanks I will look into them :) I saw in some sites that a Dwarf Gourami could be a good tankmate. I always thought we shouldn't mix gouramis/bettas and other Labyrinth Fish for the most part. Is it true they could be happy with a Dwarf Gourami with no issue ?

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Is it true they could be happy with a Dwarf Gourami with no issue ?
I personally would not trust a dwarf gourami with them. I've found dwarf gouramis can be pretty feisty sometimes. Pearl gouramis are less aggressive.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

It would be cool to do a pearl gourami with some Keyhole cichlids.. their ideal params have a good overlap and the keyholes are peaceful but you will have to watch for aggression when and if they breed. The keyholes won't eat fish over a few mm in length according to Seriouslyfish which is the best online source for fish info in my opinion. So feel free to up that combo with a dither fish of your choice. If you want something low-key then harlequins would work nicely but you should be free to pick one as long as it falls within temp range. Keeping that tank at 78 with a pH of 6.5-7 would be ideal

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Thank you for the suggestion! If I'd like to avoid agression, could I just get one male Keyhole Cichlid with a some Pearl Gouramis and some schoolers ?

Also, what do you think about Rainbow Cichlids with Pearl Gourami ? Would that work too ? What about other medium size SA cichlids, would some have overlapping parameters and temperament ? I'm thinking a single Firemouth, single Convict or nano, some medium size geophagus or thorischtys, maybe Nannacara anomala )

As for schoolers, would there be some kind of pencilfish work ? Or a smaller form of Red Line Torpedo Barb or something ?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emilymg
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views