35g - restocking 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by trailblazer295, Jan 5, 2013.

1. trailblazer295Well Known MemberMember

Hello

It seems everything is coming full circle started with my tank starting out as a community tank (angels, ram, tetras and a pleco), then a pair of kribs now currently a pair of cons which I'm attempting to get rid of. I am the only person who can keep them and not have them successfully raise fry. Anyway's I'm debating between tearing the tank down after the cons are gone or going back to a colourful community tank. I have eco complete black sand, dark wallpaper. The room isn't very bright, the decor will be driftwood, java fern and some hornwort. If I go down this road I want to have khuli loaches for the bottom, I've always liked the sea snake like swimming of them. It has always looked really cool but I had plecos and amano shrimp before so the bottom was full. If possible I will go with albino khulis. What other colourful community fish would be okay in a 35g? The tank is well filtered and mature.

Centerpiece 1 gold or trio of pearls
    Schooling: cardinals
    Bottom: Khuli loaches

With a cycled tank running Eheim 2213, AC70, AC30
    Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

I've read that khulis do pretty good in a group of at least 4. of course with your tank you could probably do 6 :)
    I think the powder blue would be gorgeous with the black sand.
    neons would look nice, I like harliquin rasporas, they might contrast well too. you could do 6-8 of each :D that would look pretty neat

3. OP
    OP
    t

trailblazer295Well Known MemberMember

Update: Cons are gone. Now time to make a decision. Tear down or redo as a community tank.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

There are not albino kuhlis, but there is a silvery species, in addition to the black and the striped ones. They are currently available on aquabid, though I don't remember the species name off the top of my head.

5. OP
    OP
    t

I thought I saw some a year ago but could be mistaken.

6. OP
    OP
    t

I've added the stock list I am considering. I'm still cleaning things up so no fish are going in today. Would these stock levels be okay in my tank? I'm not sure on stocking/school size numbers for the cardinals and khulis. I know they both like to be in groups but how many my tank can handle is still an unknown.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  7. OP
    OP
    t

I'm tossing around the idea of going with tiger barbs instead. Now I've read they don't play well with others so it would most likely be a species only tank. How many would be okay in my 35g? I've read/seen some people keeping them with khulis, is this okay? If so what would be an acceptable stock size?

8. Jaysee

What are the dimensions of the tank?

I briefly tried keeping tiger barbs and kuhli loaches together - I never saw the loaches. I ended up with a crayfish.

9. OP
    OP
    t

36"l 12"d 18"h

10. Jaysee

I would get 15 tiger barbs, and a crayfish.

11. OP
    OP
    t

Any specific type? or ones to avoid?

12. Jaysee

For crayfish - I would avoid the dwarf ones as they won't stand a chance. I would also not get a marmorkreb, since they clone themselves. The main species available in the trade are P. alleni and P. clarkii - the difference between them is negligible.

13. JDcichlidlover

The blue ones at Petco usually stand up for themselves pretty well. and they get to be pretty big too :) too bad they're $20 :mad:

14. ivonko

ivonkoValued MemberMember

you could consider getting a "marmokreb" as well, they sell a dime a dozen on aquabid all the time, but expect a lot of baby crays and please dont release them into the wild as they are extremely invasive.

ive also had the orange dwarf cray and honestly in my opinion it really isnt a crayfish, its a shrimp lol, my amano shrimp are the same size that crayfish was.

another cray i had was one i got from the LFS for 20 cents, it came in with there gold fish, if you arent looking into something super flashy this sort would easily work, it was an awesome cray, super active all the time, but like most crayfish it will eat all your live plants and any fish sleeping close to the ground, moving too slow, sick, or aggressive towards the cray

i lost
    1x red tailed shark
    4-6x white cloud minnow
    3x neon tetra

these losses only occured when the cray reached about 4" in length and i ended up returning the cray :( i want another one now

15. OP
    OP
    t

Hmmm I've heard the story of the cray pulling the disappearing act from a few people now. I think I will look for another tank mate instead, one that won't eat others.

16. Jaysee

It won't eat your tiger barbs.

17. JDcichlidlover

i second jaysee :) tiger barbs are too quick and nippy. we have fry cons in with the lobsters right now and none of them disappear. the lobsters are the ones hiding lol

18. OP
    OP
    t

I leaning more towards khulis as they are more appealing. I don't have a high interest in crayfish.

19. Jaysee

In my experience kuhlis are not a good choice with tiger barbs, but maybe yours will be different.

20. OP
    OP
    t

I've read both ways good and bad. Hard to determine any certainty, probably not any. I haven't stocked anything so I'll think it over.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice