35g overhaul Question

Discussion in 'Tiger Barb' started by trailblazer295, Jan 8, 2013.

1. trailblazer295Well Known MemberMember

I recently decided to get rid of the cons in my 35g tank. I have been doing a lot of reading of various options. Haven't really narrowed it down yet. I started out wanting Khuli loaches as I've enjoyed their swimming style for years. Is a 35g suitable for tiger barbs? If so how many? Any other tank mates? Right now the only inhabitants are MTS. The tank is well filtered, I'm running an Eheim 2213, AC70 and AC30.

This is how the tank sits now.

35g overhaul.jpg

2. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Hope this helps with your question...

The Tiger barb is a shoaling fish and you should not purchase this species unless you have room to keep at least five specimens together, preferably more. If you keep a smaller number of freshwater Tiger barbs they can become aggressive and their fin-nipping tendencies are often enhanced.

The Tiger barb is a somewhat aggressive species and the shoal will form a pecking order. Sometimes, this pecking order is extended to include other fish as well. If you keep your Tiger barbs in a large enough shoal, they can however usually be kept together with more docile species without turning into bullies. Injured fish should ideally be quarantined since the Tiger barbs are known to attack wounded fish. Fish with exceptionally long and flowing fins are not recommended as companions for Tiger barbs.

When kept in a shoal, the Tiger barb is a very active species that will spend most of its time in the water's mid-level. The average life span in a well kept aquarium is 6 years.

3. OP
    OP
    t

trailblazer295Well Known MemberMember

I've read many times that they don't play well with others, if I went with tigers it would be just them. I've read/seen people keeping Khulis with them but that doesn't mean it is proper. Until I can get a better confirmation to that I won't get them. In a species only 35g tank, how many am I okay with?

4. AnthonyC4C

The general rule is to have 1 inch of fish per gallon of water in your tank or aquarium, so keep in mind each specific fishes growth potential.

5. AnthonyC4C

P.S. Honestly there is no right answer... even here

6. OP
    OP
    t

trailblazer295Well Known MemberMember

Very true but at least if I can get a general idea in terms of an average it gives me something to work with. When you look at a fish profile for a schooling fish that says at least 6 in a tank size ____ it doesn't help for specific sizes or what the capacity is. Filtration is not mine just swim space.

7. AnthonyC4C

LoL... I really wish I could give you an average But for instance 10 tiger barbs in your 35 is just fine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice