35G, added dwarf cichlids, aggression within each species

1. Gowalkitoff Initiate Member

I'm assuming I should be shook for the choices I made today.

35g, 36" long. Planted, lots of caves, young blue gourami and young bn pleco.

Today I added two Bolivian rams (unsure of sex but they look identical), two kribensis (male and female), and one young red tail shark.

Everyone's fine except the rams and kribs.

Rams are nipping back and forth, a bit one sided. Kribs male is chasing and nipping female.

What is happening. What am I ring back to the store tomorrow to exchange for more of a other?

I love the kribs :(

2. Gowalkitoff Initiate Member

Rams and kribs bothering themselves buy not each other

I have a 35g 36" long with a blue gourami, bn pleco.

Today I added a red tail shark, two rams (not sure, two males?), and two kribensis (m and f).

Krib male is picking on female. Rams picking on each other. Everyone else seems fine.

I'm new to cichlids. What's going on? Bottom level too full? Who am I bringing back to the store.

3. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

To be honest, I don't believe that the Rams and Kribs are compatible, temperament or in water parameters. I also know that the Red Tail Shark may be considered not right for this tank as well, they get pretty big.
    I'm sure others with more experience with stocking will come in. Anders247, TexasDomer.

To cut down on the aggression with the Kribs, adding another female should help, also break up the line of sights, and make sure everybody has there own territory they can establish, also have plenty of hiding places. But I really suggest rehoming either the Kribs or the Rams, and only keeping the one you like most.

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree. An RTS needs a 55g min and it's not recommended to have different dwarf cichlid species in a tank smaller than a 55g. I would pick one species and either keep one or get one that has paired off. You could post photos for us to identify the genders.

5. Gowalkitoff Initiate Member

OK thanks. I love the kribensis. How do I balance them? Is it safe to assume I get another female kribensis, and return the shark and two rams? One moment I will upload pics

6. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

One male two females. Plenty of hiding spots. Once they pair off, you will have to do something with the other female. If that is not an option, you can go for all male/female.

7. Gowalkitoff Initiate Member

The kribensis and rams are not fighting. The ram is picking on the ram. And the male krib is picking on the female. That's why I'm confused. I figured if there was an issue they'd brawl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really all male is safe?

If they pair would they terrorize the other female or is it a protecting their fry thing?

The rams look identical I can't tell them apart.

If I do all female kribensis will their color stay? Fish store guy claimed they'll lose it all

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know about the rams. As for the kribs, the one on top is defnitely a female and I think the bottom one is a male. If they are not getting along, I'd swap out the male for a different male but do NOT get another female. One will always be dominant and will harass and bully the other to no end. Trust me, I tried. It didn't work out.

9. Gowalkitoff Initiate Member

Oh my, ok.

So, no to all females (no males)? Or no to another female (2:1)?

Is all males safe?

10. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I would just do a M/F pair or keep one. You'll have issues with the other combinations.

11. Gowalkitoff Initiate Member

OK. So I'll return the rams, shark, and male krib, swap out for a different male krib. That leaves me with some store credit. Could I add a top/middle dweller (gourami seems to go wherever it wants)? Gouramis get big so I shouldn't add another (of the same kind) for my size right?

12. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

No, I wouldn't add anything else at the top. I'd say you're even pushing it with the blue gourami by itself in that tank size so don't anything else at the top.

You could add a schooling fish (6+ of one species)?

Just as a side - I'd watch for some aggression with the krib(s) and the gourami. IME, neither really stay in the region they're "supposed" to be in so I'd watch them closely.

13. Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

If you are going to keep kribs in a community tank do not have a mated pair. Kribs can kill or maim everything in the tank once they mate. I had a pair kill 6 full grown albino corys and several other fish in the tank and maim the others they did not kill. In one night. All this after living peacefully in the tank for months.

Mated kribs are well established killers if they are a mated pair. There are several members that have experienced the same thing.

Just so you know.

14. Gowalkitoff Initiate Member

Alrighty, so back to square one? Gourami, kribs, bn pleco bad idea.

Gourami, bn pleco, one krib, one ram bad idea.

No idea why the rams don't like each other.

The store is a quarter gouramis so I doubt they'd take mine if I asked but I could try. They have e them on sale I think too

15. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If you have two male rams, that might be why but again, I don't know how to sex them so hopefully someone can tell you.

You could just try it with the one female krib and then return all the others you got today.

16. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

I agree with the others, a mated pair of Kribs may kill the others.
    But I'm glad others were here to correct me on the all males.

17. Gowalkitoff Initiate Member

OK I can do that.

What about keeping the male instead of the female?

Would it then be safe to add something else that can solo (I don't see how I have the room for anything schooling unless they stay really small, because the gourami will get quite big)?

18. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I guess it doesn't matter which krib you keep. I always thought females were more colorful with their round pink bellies.

What about 8 rummy nose tetras? They're more of a mid-bottom dweller.

19. Gowalkitoff Initiate Member

I didn't see those at the store when I as there. Also 2-3" seems a bit big? Before all this,id had scissortail Rasbora's and I quicky rehomed them because they had no room they were too big (3" and super schoolers).

I did see a ton of different barbs when I as there, some kinda didn't seem to care to a school so much, some seemed glued to each other. Are certain barbs okay, the get pretty big eh? I saw "dwarf cardinal tetra", would they get eaten?

20. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I think barbs tend to get bigger, yes.

Hmm. Never heard of dwarf cardinal tetras. They weren't neons? You could try the regular sized cardinal tetras? They're slightly bigger than neons but don't get too big if you're worried about space.