350g Pond Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by AJE, Apr 19, 2019.

1. AJEFishlore VIPMember

I have a 350g pond it’s stocked with: 4 common plecos, 2 mollies, 1 Rosie barb, 3 goldfish and 4 swordtails, I plan on adding a pair of red eared sliders once it’s more established. Since I live in Guatemala it’s running between 70 and 80*. What would you add? The best would be something that is easy to breed and maybe even protective of the young, just to give the fry more of a chance. So what would you add?

2. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Honestly, I think it's well stocked already. Expect the goldfish to breed and make more goldfish. Not sure the turtles are a good idea. Sounds like asking for trouble. They will take a bite out of your fish, given the opportunity. Instead, I'd focus my attention and energy on stocking pond plants, like water lilies, water hyancinth, and emergent plants.

3. AJEFishlore VIPMember

The goldfish will breed? I know the turtles will eat some of the fish, that’s why I’m looking for things that’ll breed. There are also lots of hiding places

4. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Yes, they breed like rabbits!!!! I had 4 in my pond in the beginning of last summer, yesterday I counted 20 or so.... Not quite sure what I am going to do with them now!!

5. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Get a turtle lol

6. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Haha ok good idea!!

7. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

8. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Yes! I was actually planning on adding them to my 57, then adding them in here if they breed

9. AJEFishlore VIPMember

How about crayfish? Would they be able to hurt the turtles? How much would they breed?

10. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

I'm so jealous that you have a pond for your plecos. I really want one for mine.

11. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Why don’t you make one?

12. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

I live in an apartment on the central east coast of the US. I couldn't keep one outside or inside. I am hoping to one day! Right now my common pleco is in a 90 gallon at my parents house since i don't even have room for that here.

13. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Do you have a couch?

14. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Yes, but i can't say my roommate (or my landlord) would be pleased if i replaced it with water.

15. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Oh, you saw where I was going with that?!