350g Pond Stocking

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 350g pond it’s stocked with: 4 common plecos, 2 mollies, 1 Rosie barb, 3 goldfish and 4 swordtails, I plan on adding a pair of red eared sliders once it’s more established. Since I live in Guatemala it’s running between 70 and 80*. What would you add? The best would be something that is easy to breed and maybe even protective of the young, just to give the fry more of a chance. So what would you add?

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AJE said:
I have a 350g pond it’s stocked with: 4 common plecos, 2 mollies, 1 Rosie barb, 3 goldfish and 4 swordtails, I plan on adding a pair of red eared sliders once it’s more established. Since I live in Guatemala it’s running between 70 and 80*. What would you add? The best would be something that is easy to breed and maybe even protective of the young, just to give the fry more of a chance. So what would you add?
Honestly, I think it's well stocked already. Expect the goldfish to breed and make more goldfish. Not sure the turtles are a good idea. Sounds like asking for trouble. They will take a bite out of your fish, given the opportunity. Instead, I'd focus my attention and energy on stocking pond plants, like water lilies, water hyancinth, and emergent plants.

OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
scarface said:
Honestly, I think it's well stocked already. Expect the goldfish to breed and make more goldfish. Not sure the turtles are a good idea. Sounds like asking for trouble. They will take a bite out of your fish, given the opportunity. Instead, I'd focus my attention and energy on stocking pond plants, like water lilies, water hyancinth, and emergent plants.
The goldfish will breed? I know the turtles will eat some of the fish, that’s why I’m looking for things that’ll breed. There are also lots of hiding places

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AJE said:
The goldfish will breed? I know the turtles will eat some of the fish, that’s why I’m looking for things that’ll breed. There are also lots of hiding places
Yes, they breed like rabbits!!!! I had 4 in my pond in the beginning of last summer, yesterday I counted 20 or so.... Not quite sure what I am going to do with them now!!

OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Smalltownfishfriend said:
Yes, they breed like rabbits!!!! I had 4 in my pond in the beginning of last summer, yesterday I counted 20 or so.... Not quite sure what I am going to do with them now!!
Get a turtle lol

OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PheonixKingZ said:
Rosy reds? I don’t know......
Yes! I was actually planning on adding them to my 57, then adding them in here if they breed

OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How about crayfish? Would they be able to hurt the turtles? How much would they breed?

Jellibeen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AJE said:
I'm so jealous that you have a pond for your plecos. I really want one for mine.

OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jellibeen said:
I'm so jealous that you have a pond for your plecos. I really want one for mine.
Why don’t you make one?

Jellibeen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AJE said:
Why don’t you make one?
I live in an apartment on the central east coast of the US. I couldn't keep one outside or inside. I am hoping to one day! Right now my common pleco is in a 90 gallon at my parents house since I don't even have room for that here.

OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jellibeen said:
I live in an apartment on the central east coast of the US. I couldn't keep one outside or inside. I am hoping to one day! Right now my common pleco is in a 90 gallon at my parents house since I don't even have room for that here.
Do you have a couch?

OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jellibeen said:
Yes, but I can't say my roommate (or my landlord) would be pleased if I replaced it with water.
Oh, you saw where I was going with that?!

New Threads