350 marineland penguin filter for a 29 gallon tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Aloof, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Aloof

AloofValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    4 years
    So I'm attempting to upgrade to a 29 gallon was was wondering if anyone knew if this filter will work with the hoods from the kits at petsmart (all I have access to other than Wal-mart. Blech)
    I'm looking at the TopFin Hooded Aquarium, but if it fits the whole kit, I'll switch. If not...Is there a safe way to make it fit? I read somewhere that you have to cut holes but I want a hood, and no huge holes because that seems counter productive.
    Also, is this okay for a 29 gallon? I can't really get bigger due to humidity issues (unless you guys have ideas on that too, I'm all ears...or..uh...eyes?) Or is there a better filter out there that takes up less space but works as well? (Doubt it, but I'm dunno).
    Does it have the little cover at the end? My aqueon does and I like it.

2. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Experience:
    1 year
    I just got a Fluval 70 for my 50 gallon tank. It is rated for tanks 40-70 gallons and I must say, it is small, compact, but provides excellent filtration of 300 gph.

I also have a Penguin 350 in there and it is massive. I had to cut out the biggest section on the hood for it to fit, then had to modify the center support piece a little in order for the filter to fit on the tank.

I think both are a little too big for your 29 gallon.

The Fluval 50 would be a good choice, IMO.

3. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +292
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think the Marineland Penguin 350 is a bit large and overkill for your 29 gallon tank. I like both the Marineland and Aquaclear filters. If you wanted to stay with the Marineland brand then a Penguin 200 would be plenty, filtering almost 7 times your tank capacity an hour. Here is a link...

For the Aquaclear brand, the AC 70 would be ideal and filtering almost 10 times your tank capacity in one hour. Here is a link....

Both filters would provide plenty of filtration and not be as huge as the Penguin 350 you originally mentioned. They should be able to fit most hoods without any crazy modification.

4. OP
    OP
    Aloof

AloofValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    4 years
    Well, the 350 was suggested by I think two other people, but that was when they believed I needed more filtration due to the advice of a website...I don't fully believe aqadvisor, but it is kinda helpful. I'll look into those when I get home. Out and about for a bit.

Oh, roughly how acurate would you say it is? I know not to believe everything I read and such, but wouldn't a planted aquarium also help in terms of some filtration? (I'm new to the planting scene...and actually looking at EVERYTHING in terms of how they work, how much is needed for this, what works with what and so on).

5. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Experience:
    1 year
    I wish I could the FAQ section on Aqadvisor because I saw in there that they use 65% of the manufacturers rating on gph filtration. Its a good baseline to use but using a forum to get a consensus of other peoples opinions would probably be more accurate.