350 Gallon Goldfish Pond

1. kittykat0725 Member Member

Hey - I have a 350 gallon outdoor goldfish pond, it is very natural and haha kind off wild. It doesn't have a filter, but I weekly clean out algae and add beneficial stuff to the water. The goldfish in that pond have always been extremely happy, each year they lay eggs and the eggs hatch and at one point we had 16 goldfish when we only bought 4! It doesn't have any covering, but there are at least 7 caves and tunnels that the goldfish hid in. We have had this pond for at least 8 years and have never had any problems. Until now ----- Recently I have noticed mosquitoes larvae is floating on top of the pond. We have never had this problem before and went to the pet store and they told me to get mosquito fish, so I got four to eat the larvae, will this work?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Four won't be able to lower the numbers of mosquitos very much, but if you have a mix of sexes they're quite prolific breeders so you may end up with a lot of mosquito fish & very few larvae before too long.
    You being in California I doubt your winters would be cold enough to keep the number of mosquito fish down.

3. fishingdeep Member Member

What goldfish do you have ? Mine is always hungry.

4. kittykat0725 Member Member

Um, lots of different ones. They hardly ever eat if we feed them though because the pond has algae and stuff that they eat

5. kittykat0725 Member Member