35 Litre Betta Tankmates? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by RCALEY32, Feb 14, 2019.

1. RCALEY32 New Member Member

Hi all, i'm sure this is a common question however different places tell me different things. So I have a 35 litre planted tank with a happy and healthy betta fish. I am looking to control food waste and algea in the tank. Would I be able to put anything with him (depending on his temper) I will have a backup tank if he doesnt like his new friends. I was thinking otocinclus or maybe cory's but I'm also aware this tank may be too small, however I dont really want shrimp!

Thanks in advance!

2. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Hi!
    What are the dimensions of the tank?
    If you get one with a good temperament, you may be able to keep some fish with it, though IMO ottos and cories are too big for a tank that size

3. RCALEY32 New Member Member

Its about 19.5 inchs long. 10.5 deep, and I'm not sure about height (cant check for sure until tomorrow) but about 12 inchs I would guess.

4. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of fish are you able to get near you? Your best bet would rather be celestial pearl danios aka Galaxy rasboras (don't keep the tank above 80, 78 is good) or microrasboras like chili rasboras and strawberry rasboras

5. F1avor Valued Member Member

So that's about 10 gallons. Anyways can you send a picture of the tank?

Based on my personal experience cories and otocinclus are good tank mates for bettas. I have otocinclus and bettas in a 75 gallon now. Other people I follow on YouTube have cories in their betta tank. The only issue is that cories and otosotocin are supposed to be schooling fishes. So you would probably need 6 of each to make them happy. However if you get one or two of each they should still be fine. Not like they would dry from being lonely.

6. Jack B. Valued Member Member

7. imba Well Known Member Member

A snail or shrimps would be best for a 10 gallon. Keeping a decent group of Otos and cories in 10g would be a squeeze

8. RCALEY32 New Member Member

So this is my tank, its slightly smaller than 10 gallons, so the majority are saying shrimp, what do you guys think is the best to use? Thanks all for the replies!

Attached Files:

9. RCALEY32 New Member Member

So this is my tank, its slightly smaller than 10 gallons, so the majority are saying shrimp, what do you guys think is the best to use? Thanks all for the replies!

10. Jack B. Valued Member Member

Yeah just shrimp, you could get some cool cherry shrimp. I have a single zebra snail in my 5g, ide get two for a tank your size.

11. Donovan Jones Valued Member Member

If you go with cherries I'd start them separately to build a colony in case the betta is a homicidal maniac

12. Jack B. Valued Member Member

Yeah, I went with ghosts to start primarily cause there cheap, my Betta enjoyed the small ones as a snack. The larger ones did fine he ignored them completely.

13. RCALEY32 New Member Member

I'm leaning towards ghosts, are they good as clean up crew?

14. Jack B. Valued Member Member

Yeah they’re just as good as others IMO

15. yinoma2001 Valued Member Member

Excellent. Low bio load, and if big enough, most bettas won't terrorize them. They are night feeders so when the Betta goes to bed they get to work.

16. Jimothy K Valued Member Member

I'd Say Some Leopard danios or some Zebra danios, about ten or so total, and mixing them makes for a good looking mix. I personally like the long finned varieties of both fish.

17. RCALEY32 New Member Member

Brilliant I've got my answer, thanks for the replies everyone, you've all been very helpful!

18. Jimothy K Valued Member Member

What are you going with?

19. RCALEY32 New Member Member

I think I'm going to give some large Ghost shrimps a go, If that doesnt go well I'll just have to be extra good at cleaning him out!

20. Jack B. Valued Member Member

Hope it goes well for ya!