35 Gallon Stocking Ideas: Centerpiece Fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sidboy1234, Jun 11, 2019.

1. sidboy1234

sidboy1234New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi, I recently got a free 35 gallon tank that I'm thinking of planting sparsely and using sand substrate. I'm thinking of getting a bunch of fancy guppies, since I heard they're hardy, and one centerpiece fish.

I want something that's 4+ inches, like a cichlid, but doesn't attack the smaller fish. Any ideas?
    (Someone suggested a blood parrot, but the idea of that hybrid doesn't seem right to me)

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,211
    How about a keyhole cichlid? I believe they would do well with adult guppies.

3. OP
    OP
    sidboy1234

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Also i'd love something witha little more color, but isn't too hard to take care of.

4. Crispii

Ratings:
    +1,211
    What about gouramis? Are you interested in them?

5. OP
    OP
    sidboy1234

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    that seems like a good idea, but i dont think id be able to find them anywhere
    sure! are there any bigger ones that are easy to take care of

6. Crispii

Ratings:
    +1,211
  7. Noroomforshoe

NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +138
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The most colorfull gourami is a dwarf gourami. it has the attitude of a larger gourami. It is a good size for your tank,
    You could get a gold, a 3 spot or opeline gourami, slightly bigger, not any more aggressive. still the right size
    Pearl gourami are some of the most beautifull fish available. and much more peaceful then other gourami, and slightly larger then the three i just listed. I would be concerned that guppies would stress it out, and mayeven nip its fins and barbles.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. Robes

RobesValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would second a pearl gourami, when i upgrade my 29 (currently guppy community) to a 55 i have sitting on my porch i plan on getting a pearl gourami for it.

9. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You could do both a gourami and a cichlid, they occupy different regions of the tank and every time I have done a community I like having at least one of those two species of fish in there.

I'd suggest looking at a thick-lipped gourami or banded gourami for the top and a rainbow cichlid for the bottom, both species are peaceful.

10. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,046
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have a male pearl gourami in a 55 with guppies, Sepaes, otto cats , Plecos and a bunch of ramshorns. Super personality and definitely knows when the lights come on its feeding time :) and think it would make an amazing centerpiece for your tank