35 gallon hex stocking ideas??

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
1,577
Location
Canada, MB
Experience
1 year
Shrimp pretty much rules out any dwarf cichlid because they will eat them, so I would suggest 4-5 honey gourami, 8-12 neon or cardinal tetras (or 15 of some schooling nano fish), and some sort of temp compatible cory, or kuhli loaches. 10 for each group if you do one of those.

A group of rainbow shiners would be really pretty. They are cooler water fish, but they should be fine with shrimp.

A group of 14 neon rainbow fish would be nice too.

I am just throwing out ideas.......
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
J

Jallen42

Active Member
Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
16
AquaticQueen said:
Shrimp pretty much rules out any dwarf cichlid because they will eat them, so I would suggest 4-5 honey gourami, 8-12 neon or cardinal tetras (or 15 of some schooling nano fish), and some sort of temp compatible cory, or kuhli loaches. 10 for each group if you do one of those.

A group of rainbow shiners would be really pretty. They are cooler water fish, but they should be fine with shrimp.

A group of 14 neon rainbow fish would be nice too.

I am just throwing out ideas.......
That’s a nice idea I kinda like Gouramis as the “centerpiece” I’m expecting a lot of the ideas I find like this! My personal idea was a large group of sparkling Gouramis of just a trio of honeys with two schooling groups maybe ember tetra and chili rasboras with hasbrosus Corys on the bottom!!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
J

Jallen42

Active Member
Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
16
Jerome O'Neil said:
I had one of those for a long time. I kept a pair of black lace angels in it. It was a beautiful setup.
Large angelfish are great looking fish!! I personally think the wood in the middle takes a lot of the swimming room for them with the size tank! I like the idea!!!
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
1,577
Location
Canada, MB
Experience
1 year
Yeah a pair of angelfish is a possibility too. Beautiful fish. Some may say a 35 hex isn't big enough, but I think it's fine.
If you wanted to do angels you could do this:
2 angels (1 male, 1 female)
A school of higher bodied fish so the angels can't eat them as they mature, black neon, black phantom, lemon and x-ray, are all compatible.
Then for the bottom of the tank, you could do emerald green or sterbai corys maybe 8. Kuhli loaches are awesome if you have sand.
 

KSo

Active Member
Member
Messages
275
Reaction score
380
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
5 years
I have a pearl gourami pair - absolutely beautiful! But the male has gotten a little aggressive thinking he’s going to spawn, the female isn’t there yet lol
If you’re planning shrimp, be sure they won’t turn into snacks! Rams and barbs think they’re tasty!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
J

Jallen42

Active Member
Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
16
KSo said:
I have a pearl gourami pair - absolutely beautiful! But the male has gotten a little aggressive thinking he’s going to spawn, the female isn’t there yet lol
If you’re planning shrimp, be sure they won’t turn into snacks! Rams and barbs think they’re tasty!
I thought of getting pearl Gouramis for it! I may try to see if the LFS has some females in stock!
Yeah I’m definitely staying away from some fish that want to eat my shrimp constantly I have 40 but there is always a chance I get a terror of a fish!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
J

Jallen42

Active Member
Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
16
AquaticQueen said:
Yeah a pair of angelfish is a possibility too. Beautiful fish. Some may say a 35 hex isn't big enough, but I think it's fine.
If you wanted to do angels you could do this:
2 angels (1 male, 1 female)
A school of higher bodied fish so the angels can't eat them as they mature, black neon, black phantom, lemon and x-ray, are all compatible.
Then for the bottom of the tank, you could do emerald green or sterbai corys maybe 8. Kuhli loaches are awesome if you have sand.
Hmm interesting maybe if the LFS keeps a healthy stock of juveniles for a few weeks I’ll get them after I introduce the other fish!!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
J

Jallen42

Active Member
Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
16
Idea:
A trio of honey Gouramis (1m 2F)
8 ember tetras
12 chili rasboras
12 pygmy/Habrosus corys

Based on a stocking calc there’s room for atleast a small shoal I was thinking probably 3 or possibly a pair of a bottom dwelling fish?(Ik not to follow them religiously just theoretical) what other fish would be creative orwork well in a tank? Peacock gudgeon? Dwarf coral platys? A BN pleco? anybody have some neat ideas to top off the tank?
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
1,577
Location
Canada, MB
Experience
1 year
Jallen42 said:
Idea:
A trio of honey Gouramis (1m 2F)
8 ember tetras
12 chili rasboras
12 pygmy/Habrosus corys

Based on a stocking calc there’s room for atleast a small shoal I was thinking probably 3 or possibly a pair of a bottom dwelling fish?(Ik not to follow them religiously just theoretical) what other fish would be creative orwork well in a tank? Peacock gudgeon? Dwarf coral platys? A BN pleco? anybody have some neat ideas to top off the tank?
Peacock gudgeons are beautiful fish, so I would totally recommend a pair those. They do get a little aggressive during breeding, but nothing major. A BN pleco would work too.

I might let up on the schools a little bit because despite all the fish are pretty small, it may be a little crowded.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
J

Jallen42

Active Member
Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
16
AquaticQueen said:
Peacock gudgeons are beautiful fish, so I would totally recommend a pair those. They do get a little aggressive during breeding, but nothing major. A BN pleco would work too.

I might let up on the schools a little bit because despite all the fish are pretty small, it may be a little crowded.
Do you think instead of chili rasbora I could just add like 5? Ember tetras to increase the school a bit and would the gudgeons kill anything while they are breeding? Or just the usual chase them off.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
J

Jallen42

Active Member
Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
16
Jallen42 said:
Do you think instead of chili rasbora I could just add like 5? Ember tetras to increase the school a bit and would the gudgeons kill anything while they are breeding? Or just the usual chase them off.
And I have tons of pest snails I just let be in there say I chose to raise the eggs that were bred by any fish would they be a threat?
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
1,577
Location
Canada, MB
Experience
1 year
Jallen42 said:
Do you think instead of chili rasbora I could just add like 5? Ember tetras to increase the school a bit and would the gudgeons kill anything while they are breeding? Or just the usual chase them off.
5 gudgeons? Sure. I don't see why a group wouldn't work. They are pretty peaceful by nature. I would do 2 males and 3 females.
Peacocks will chase the fish off if they come too close to their eggs or babies. I have never heard of them killing other fish during breeding.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
J

Jallen42

Active Member
Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
16
AquaticQueen said:
5 gudgeons? Sure. I don't see why a group wouldn't work. They are pretty peaceful by nature. I would do 2 males and 3 females.
Peacocks will chase the fish off if they come too close to their eggs or babies. I have never heard of them killing other fish during breeding.
I was talking about 5 more ember tetras, my bad:), I think I’d only want two or three (1m 2F) I don’t want them to “overrun” the tank but I want a fish that stays low that would be “centerpiece like”
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
212
Guests online
3,413
Total visitors
3,625

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom