Experience
3 years
Is your tank still cycling?

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gona check with the nitrite test tomorow. But so far the Amonia read 0, which is good, and definitely a sign things are going the right way I guess (fingers crossed).

The nitrite wil probably be higher than zero tomorow though, since I'm just 1 week into the new setup (rinsed the old substrate several times) and new filter... but hey, there can be surprises. The chunk of driftwood is pretty big and I've got plenty of plants to break stuff down. Neither the rocks or the driftwood have been cleaned, or out of the old aquarium water during the change process, so I think I got to keep some good bacteria in those rugged surfaces: but rest assured, I won't add any fish other than the existing SAE for at least two weeks from now, when I'm sure all the levels are up to standards.

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry for the doublepost, but here's a little update on the tank:

4xyrUEW.jpg

146AIwH.jpg

LVOYiUG.jpg

Bought a Trident Java Fern, and - big mistake this next one - a bunch of Rotala Macrandra cuttings. I described my setup to LFS guy, but should have made it more clear that I was on a low tech plan (no plans on adding CO2, no proper substrate, etc...), in which the Rotala will most likely not thrive... :/ Oh well, noobie mistakes I guess, but I'm a bit bummed.

Also bought Seachem Flourish liquid fertilizer, dosed once already (by the way, how often should I dose a 35 gallon with this?)

Anyways, bought two new light bulbs as well. Put the Nature in the back, and the High-Lite in the front (but I really have no idea if this is the best option?...).

MSbCFn1.jpg

The plants were introduced Saturday, and then I let the tank settle for a couple of days to finally do some new readings, now with the Nitrite test at hand (the local LFS didn't have a Nitrate test yet, I'll do that reading soonish though if I drop by another pet store near me). Here they are:

Amonia (Sera Amonia test kit) - 0 ppm
Nitrites (JBL Nitrite test kit) - 0,025 ppm (gonna cautiously consider this, but it could also be <0,01 ppm, since test kit wants you to have an eagle eye and figure out these look-alike colous ???)
pH (Prodac pH test kit) - 7,5

Here's what I was talking about with the colours: xD

5snf1Ng.jpg

One last question, given the current readings, should I do a 10-15% water change? I haven't done any since the cycle started (about a week and a half ago), should I do a weekly one until the cycle stabilizes? (and afterwards as well of course )

KarenLM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You may want to consider a liquid CO2 product - that's what I use for my plants - you dose it daily. Liquid ferts are given once a week - be sure to read the label for the correct dosage.

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You may want to consider a liquid CO2 product - that's what I use for my plants - you dose it daily. Liquid ferts are given once a week - be sure to read the label for the correct dosage.
Hmmm, the "daily" part of the CO2 dosage is the only thing keeping me from going that route... I'm in vacation right now, but througout the year I only come home in the weekend because of college.

Also, pardon me for the ignorance, but why use Flourish and Excel in unison? Do they complement each other or is there another reason? (I'll also buy root tabs soon, any brand you'd consider good?)

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Flourish is liquid ferts (Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphate among other things), Excel is liquid carbon, CO2. It's two different things.

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh!... yeah, I really should have expanded the image, lol. So if I dose Excel, I don't need a CO2 system?... And about the daily dose of CO2, I could always ask my parents, I had forgot about that, I'm still considering it.

And about the water changes? Should I do them during the cycle or not?

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Excel is a substitute for a co2 system but I've heard its really not as good, could be wrong though.

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll consider it, given how much would a CO2 system cost. I really have no idea since I never planned on buying one...

Now about those water changes? Should I do one this week? - especially since I'll be away from home next week.

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update on the tank!:

Currently added a few more plants to the setup since my last post, and this week I finally bought some new inhabitants - a small school of 5 Cherry Barbs.

Any experience with the male/female ratios? My plan is to bump the population by 8 by the end of this week (to give the filter time to adjust to new the bioload). Currently I have 3 males and 2 females, and I think I saw some spawning behaviour the day after I bought them (male chasing the female, and them swimming side by side and turning upside down against a leaf).

Now however, I'm seeing some aggressiveness between the males, who most likely are establishing territories and a pecking order in the school. Question is, will this last or result in injuries? I'm pretty confident they have enough hidding places in the tank, but I never though they'd be agressive between the members of their own species (everyone always told me they were pretty peaceful for barbs, lol!).

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I keep all male cherry barbs and the aggression is minimal. You could consider rehoming the females to do all males. If not, I believe I have seen it suggested 1 to 1 for cherry barbs.

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll buy 3 more and make it a 1:1 male/female ratio.

In the meantime, I bought 6 Panda Cories - how's your experience with keeping these fish? Currently my substrate is black diamond sand, is that too sensitive for their barbels?

Another thing, I've noticed that if I stir my substrate a bit there's a fair ammount of debris within it. There are no visible debris in the water column though, just within the substrate itself - should I be worried that my filter isn't sucking that up like it should?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I've never kept panda cories myself. The only cories I have kept are albino aeneus. However, i know many on here love panda cories. Coradee may have better info on them. I know many people that use black diamond sand with cories on this forum so I'm sure that is fine.

Did you wash your substrate before putting it in the tank? Any substrate really needs a thorough washing. If you see debris you can always suck it up with an aquarium vac.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've not used the black diamond but many people have & I've not heard anything bad about corys on it.
Pandas, over here at least, seem to be more sensitive than most corys & some people have had problems keeping them, hopefully yours will do well, they are a cool temperature cory so keep them at no more than 24C, under is better
You may find the pandas go darker as they're on a black substrate so they won't look quite as bright, pics when they've settled are always good

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
tyguy7760: I thoroughly washed the substrate for over a hour when I first got the tank up and running (over a month and a half ago), by putting it all in a tub, agitating and rinsing it with a hose. The largest debris that were still there at the time were remainings of Nerite snail eggs, but they were minimal. I hear from people that this mulm is good for the flora, but I don't know to what extent enough is enough if you know what I mean. Plus, it's easy to clean the empty area in front of the tank, but most of the debris gathers in the central area between the Valisnerias (below):

174184d1438090170-35-gallon-fish-tank-jbl-cristalprofi-e701-stocking-ideas-4xyruew.jpg

@Coradee: I keep my tank temp at 25C. Currently 5 of them are actively running around the tank, but one of them is laying motionless in the bottom, not as active. I'm a bit worried about this fella, but I switched off the lights to hopefuly reduce stress. I acclimated them for about a hour before I introduced them, fingers crossed!

Last edited:

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the lazy cory. I just posted a thread with this concern myself in the cory section. They are just naturally a lazy fish unless it's feeding time or the mood strikes them. Or at least mine are

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do hope that's what's going on with him. I'm worried because the others are really active and inquisitive and this guy's just sitting there. His breathing was also a bit fast IMO, when I left home, hope I don't arrive just to find him dead.

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
UPDATE: I'l pretty sure that one particular Cory will die. Came home and turned on the lights and it's comapanions swam just fine, but he swam erratically in circles. That's disappointing, and unfortunately not unheard of with this particular species...

I'm afraid it may have a contagious problem, should I euthanize him to avoid possible contamination?

MightyCucumber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
UPDATE 2: Sadly the said Cory had already passed away this morning when I woke up... Yesterday at evening I came home to see it swim around erratically, so I quickly scooped him and put him in a floating bag with water, in case he ended up dead and contaminating the others with a possible disease. It's always sad to lose a fish, but unfortunately this seems to happen with Panda Cories way too often...

On a brighter note though, the remaining 5 seem quite active, and I've seen them eating some sinking pellets (or a least giving them a taste). Still, fingers crossed, since the number of reports of these fish suddenly dying without any explanation is worrying...

Also, at first I was worried about not being able to keep my Rotalas going strong, but thankfully they are showing visible growth!

About 3 weeks ago when I first planted them:

mHEB8Of.jpg

Taken today:

qnPYEiL.jpg

Close-up on the little sprouts:

pqDpWdQ.jpg

Gonna replant the one that's further to the right probably, it's not showing much growth compared to the others, probably because the Anubias seem to keep overshadowing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 34 63.0%

Top Bottom