35 Gallon fish tank + JBL Cristalprofi e701 - Stocking ideas | Page 2

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MightyCucumber, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    Yea I've heard that generally happens more frequently in smaller tanks myself.

2. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

MightyCucumberValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    Like I said, I think it'll really depend on what the LFS has, or which fish are cheaper. :) I like them all, so I really can't decide until I see them swimming in front of me at the store. :p

Here are the pics by the way:

kOWby9M.jpg
    skEOZi9.jpg
    sKZWxgc.jpg
    iAGHsLF.jpg
    S453Dk4.jpg
    lQsd8Ov.jpg
    KJBswk6.jpg

And finally, the deadzone where I want to put 1-2 big bushy plants that will occupy this space (suggestions?):

kO1E2tA.jpg

3. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That's a great looking tank.

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    You should shop around in your area and compare prices and stock. Stay away from impulse buys!

5. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you! :p

I really want the Valis to grow tall though, they seem to put lots of runners (as you can see!) and none to little vertical growth... :( I started only with 4 main plants and these are all offspring ahah.

Any known reasons for this to happen? I remember that some years ago when I first set the tank up I had preciselly the opposite with a giant Val that kept on growing vertically and sent no runners, lol...

EDIT: In my area there's only 1 reputable seller, the rest aren't really that trusted and I'll only buy fish from there if I really, REALLY can't find them elsewhere. So impulse buys hopefully won't be a problem. ;P

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
  7. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    Gorgeous tank! Have you considered getting a piece of driftwood for that empty corner, maybe a tall piece that comes up and across the back a little?

The more twisted the wood the better IMO.

8. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    @Dom90: I used Sera Florena in the water column for some time, but I really didn't see much difference. Also tried root tabs for the Swords, and actually they got greener and bushier. That was a long time though... I think I used Sera root tabs. Any fertilizer brand you'd recommend to get those Vals to their potential? :)

@KarenLM: Hadn't really thought about that, but it's definitely an option! Then I'd even be able to attach some Java ferns/moss to it in the end. But finding the perfect driftwood for that spot will be both hard and expensive I think. xD

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
  10. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    Cool, my LFS has these I think (at least I've seen Seachem products in the shelves).

Tomorow I'll go there and will bring the fertilzer, test kits and some plants. Light bulbs also need a change (they've never been changed in this 3 year run, which is kinda stupid of me because I honestly did little research on that :-X).

Gonna buy T5 bulbs, I'm only not sure wheter I'll buy 6500k or another... what are the differences between these by the way? I've heard that T5 are superior to T8, but what is the "K" thing? (sorry for the ignorance here)

11. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    I found all my driftwood except one piece on the shore. I just boiled it for a while, then put it in a bucket with water to cover the wood, weighed it down with a rock until it was water logged. I washed it with hot water a few more times then in the tank.

12. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    You need to have the light spectrum around the 6500k range for plants... The best investment for the long run is LED, you'll have a ton on your electric bill.

13. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    I live near the sea (sorta, just 5 km) and I rarely see driftwood on the shore, though. :p Must have to do with the sea currents. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled though, especially since I'm on vacation and will spend plent of time at the beach.

The guy at the LFS had LED lights too, but I don't think I saw any size that would fit with the current setup I have... :/ I'll check out tomorow though, and hopefully I'll be lucky.

14. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    What are your tank dimensions?

15. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    The problem is not the tank, it's the light unit dimensions - the light unit is a Juwel Multilux T5 High-Lite. I really want to avoid a new light unit, they were pretty expensive when I last went to the store when I was getting ready for the tank overhaul. :S

The tank's a Juwel Rio 125, stripped away from it's original filter (which was a pain in the butt to remove, since it was silicone glued to the glass).

Length - 32 inches (81 cm)
    Heigth - 20 inches (50 cm)
    Depth - 14 inches (36 cm)

16. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    Small update: found the Amonia and pH test and tested the tank water:

Amonia - 0 mg/L
    Tank pH - 8
    Tap pH - 6,5

I'm surprised the Amonia reads 0 with just a week of functioning. Then again, the substrate, rocks, driftwood and plants are "recycled" from the tank's previous run, so maybe there was a bacteria population large enough to keep the cycle going without much inbalance? Still, can't say much without the nitrate/nitrite tests I'll get tomorow, as well as further readings down the next couple of weeks.

I'm a bit concerned about the pH, though - will it be a problem for the fish I plan on keeping, seeing how high it is? If so, how do I lower it?

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    I wouldn't worry about the high pH, most tank-bred fish these days are able to adapt to most pH ranges. It's easier for soft water fish to acclimate to hard water than the other way around.

18. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    I'm especially worried about the Rummy-noses... everywhere I've read it says they're a bit sensitive when first introduced, and seeing how their pH range is 7,5 maximum having 8 here is making me a bit nervous.

I just don't understand how the tap water can come at 6,5 and when put into the tank it gets to 8... :;sh Maybe it's the rocks I have there?...

I haven't done any WC since last week when I first set the tank up - should I do a 20% one to try to lower the pH (and then re-test after a few days) or leave the tank be for now?

19. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    What substrate are you using? If you have crushed coral, limestone, aragonite-based substrate all of these can increase your pH.

20. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    Nope, nothing like that. Just Black Diamond Sand and 2 rocks that you can see in the pics. They don't seem like limestone to me, but how can I test that?...

I even have the driftwood, which supposedly should lower the pH, lol. Maybe it's just the tank settling in, I've read that in the early stages of cycling the pH can fluctuate a bit.

What do you think? :)