35 Gallon fish tank + JBL Cristalprofi e701 - Stocking ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MightyCucumber, Jul 24, 2015.

1. MightyCucumber

MightyCucumber Valued Member Member

Hi all! :) I've decided to turn my old 35 Gallon Goldfish tank into a freshwater tropical tank, and I need some help with this whole new world of Tropical fish keeping. ;)

The tank has been sitting in my living room for about a week now - I changed the pre-set filter that came with the tank to a JBL Cristalprofi e701, and completely cleaned both aquarium and substrate (goldfish produce an incredble ammount of waste, so it was absolutely needed as the substrate had collected a thick layer of muck underneath :eek:). I've yet to test the water to see how the cycle is going though as I only have the ammonia test kit right now, but will post the levels as soon as I buy the rest of the tests (which will be tomorow).

The substrate is only Black Diamond Sand, and as far as plant life goes, I have 2 huge Anubias (3 years of growing latched onto a driftwood really makes wonders) several Valisnerias with multiple runners and 4 Amazon Swords (which have seen better days honestly). The Valisnerias aren't doing that good either, because while they keep putting out runners they don't seem to grow in height as I'd want them to. But oh well, I'll ask for that in another thread. :(

Now as for fish, I actually have 3 SAEs that were in the goldfish tank already. They are sturdy little buggers, I have to tell you! I do know they get quite large, so I might need to re-home... Here is the stocking plan by the way:

3 Angelfish
    10-12 Rummy-Nose Tetras
    5 Panda Cories
    3 SAEs (?)

Questions!:

1) Does it seem overstocked? I really have no idea, I just know stocking limits for goldfish, ahah.

2) I need a big, bushy type of plant that needs to cover a dead-spot in the corner of the aquarium, behind the drifwood, where debris tends to collect. That way I'll efficiently use that dead-spot to provide nutrients for its growth (in theory?).

3) How often do I need to vaccum the substrate? I've heard medium to highly planted tanks could go un-vaccumed as the plants would break up and use the debris that sink to the bottom, but I'd like to hear your opinion on this. :)

I guess that's it for now. I'll post pics as soon as I get home. Thanks in advance! :;rocker

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

3 Angelfish will not work in a 35 gallon, in fact 1 may not even work. Also, the 3 SAEs will not work, they will grow up to be 6". What are your tank dimensions?

3. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

3 angelfish are a lot for a 35 gallon. Like Dom90 said, 1 would be pushing it. It's not overstocked but the angels would need to go.

Every tank needs to be vacuumed. Plants help but they are not the sole solution.

4. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

I figured angelfish were a no, but I had to ask anyways. :D

Length - 32 inches (81 cm)
    Heigth - 20 inches (50 cm)
    Depth - 14 inches (36 cm)

With Angelfish out of the question, what other center piece fish would fit in this tank by the way?

5. Dom90

Try a kribensis (fish in my avatar) or German Blue Ram or Dwarf Gourami, Honey Gourami, I think a pearl gourami would work also.

6. tyguy7760

There are a ton you could do. You could do a pair of German Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams, Kribs, maybe some apisto's, a whole assortment of gouramis (dwarf, pearl (maybe just one of those though), thicklipped, honey, banded)

7. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

Pearl Gourami is a nice candidate. :) I'd like 3 center piece fish that would hang together somewhat, hence the Angelfish idea...

Why wouldn't Angelfish do well though? Is it because they get big or does it have to do with agresiveness and territorial displays?

Also, if I don't go with the Pearl Gourami, would a school of Tiger Barbs be suitable as well? I really like them, especially since I can get a good mix of them at my LFS (they have all 3 colour varieties there). Also, what school size should I go for?

Sorry for all the brainstorming, just trying to figure what's best here, without harming any fish. ;)

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, hope you enjoy the forum :)

9. tyguy7760

3 Angelfish get too big for a 35 gallon and they need a lot of swimming space. They would start getting aggressive when they get a certain size.

Tiger barbs are notoriously aggressive unless you get a large school of them. The larger the better. I would be afraid your tetra's wouldn't last too long because I don't think your tank is big enough to get a school large enough to appropriately spread out the aggression. You could try it but I would keep a really close eye on them before you do it. You will need at least 6 but probably will need much more than that to keep the aggression to a minimum.

And don't worry about the questions. This is the place to ask them and no one minds sharing their knowledge.

10. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

I was afraid of that as well. I did some research previously, and found that info too. :/

What about cherry barbs? (you've probably already noticed it, but I like red/orange fish, ahah)

(ALSO, thank you Coradee! ;))

11. Dom90

In a tank size such as yours, you'd be limited to 1 centerpiece fish, 2 would be risky. The whole territorial issues and such, in a small space. Angelfish get to 6" long and tall and wouldn't have that much swimming space in a 35 gallon.

12. tyguy7760

Cherry barbs are the opposite of the Tigers. Very peaceful. I have 5 in my tank and i have had them since the beginning. Very hardy and very agreeable. I have seen some on the internet say they are a little nippy but they will pale in comparison to the tigers.

I have them in a tank with 2 sunset gourami and guppies. If they were nippers they would go after these fish and I have had no nipping.

They won't school quite as close as tiger's but they will clump up together at feeding time.

If you can't tell i'm a big fan of cherry barbs.

I would think he could have 2 centerpiece if he got certain types of gourami. The rams would be risky as they will get aggressive during spawning. But I have 2 sunset thicklip gourami and they are not aggressive towards each other or anything else. Honey gourami are even smaller so you could definitely have 2 of them. Dwarf (more aggressive) and Pearl (get bigger) would be risky though.

Also keep in mind that gourami are like betta's. Don't do two males. And with certain types of gourami, the females are almost impossible to find.

And all fish have different personalities. It is quite possible you could get a gourami that wants to kill everything in it's path or one that is chill and laid back enough that it won't bother anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  13. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

The idea behind the tank, is to go with a large group of tight-schooling fish (Rummy-noses), a medium/small school of medium fish (Rosy Barbs/ Cherry Barbs / other suggestions?...), a small cleaning crew (the 5 Pandas) and 1-2 center piece fish.

The Rummy-noses are so deeply rooted in my mind that I find it hard to think of any other fish for their place, they really are super pretty. :O The red nose and the checkered tail are really mezmerizing, and I've actually seen them school at my LFS and I don't think I'ver ever seen such a tight schooling behavior.

As for the other school of fish, I'm inclined to Rosy or Cherry barbs... the "redder" the better, ahah. Are there any other fish that come to mind here? (small enough not to overstock the tank - 5-8 fish for the school to look pretty, and obviously, they'd need to be red/orange ahah)

Now as for the center piece, a pair of Pearl Gourami would look really terrific... but given what you guys mentioned already, the idea is starting to fade away a bit. Just one would feel a little too lonely (even though I know it probably wouldn't mind at all)

14. tyguy7760

Rummynose tetras are pretty awesome looking but typically they are only suggested for tanks that have been established for some time. If you are intent on including them I would wait until the end of your stocking to put them in. Give the tank as much establishing time as possible before including them.

Like I said, cherry barbs are great. You could also do harlequin rasboras, ember tetras, or von rio tetras. The rasboras aren't the reddest fish but they school nicely and are small and light on the bioload. Cardinal tetras may also be a possibility for you.

Gourami are really fine being by themselves. They don't depend on each other so 1 pearl would be fine. You could try 2. It may work fine. I have 2 sunset thicklipped gourami that get along fine in a similar sized tank. Just whatever you do don't put 2 males together. Either male and female or 2 females. I have 2 females and there is no aggression. Did you look at the rams. There are several different color variations and they are perfectly happy being by themselves as well. You may even be able to get by with having a ram and a gourami in there as the gourami will be at the top and the ram at the bottom. However, I'm about to rehome my bolivian ram because she is showing aggression to my 2 female gourami. I will be trying a blue ram next to see if i have a different outcome.

Also, I always like to tell people, these are just suggestions from our personal experience. That's not to say this is the only way to do it. I'm far from an expert. You may very well have success with 3 gouramis in your tank. But generally...that's probably not a good idea.

15. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

Yes, that's basically what I'm planning to do with the Rummy-Noses. I don't want to take any chances with them, so I need to be really patient. ;)

The "middle" fish choice is giving me an headache though, ahahah. :D There are so many choices, and all the fish you mentioned are so pretty! I think in the end it'll depend on what the LFS has available.

If I do find a Pearl Gourami pair, I'd like to try it out and see how it goes. :)

So, stocking plans considering all this info:

1-2 Pearl Gourami
    5-8 Cherry Barb/ Rosy Barb/ Ember Tetra
    10-12 Rummy-nose Tetra
    5 Panda Cories

How does it seem?

By the way, which fish should I introduce first?

16. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I would up the number of corys to at least 6 & change the species, pandas prefer cooler temperatures.
    If you like the colour of the pandas look for Oiapoquensis aka flag tail cory as they're very similarly marked, failing that sterbai, adolfoi, bronze or duplicareus are other options that can handle higher temps.

17. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I have a 36g bowfront and in it I have:

1 x Pearl gourami
    6 x Sterbai corydoras
    12 x Cherry barb

I would not get 2 pearls, just one. And add another cory to make it 6. Also, you may want to double check your temperature requirements for those fish. Check out the profiles on SeriouslyFish.

I would introduce the cherry barbs first. Are you doing a fishless cycle, or fish-in? Cherry barbs are the hardiest of those you have listed and would do better in a fish-in cycle.

I would add the rummies last, and not until your tank has been good and established.

18. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

You could also consider Serpae Tetras instead of the Cherry Barbs. They are a rosy colour and school quite nicely in my tank. They have a slightly lower bio load than the barbs.

19. Dom90

I've heard serpaes are semi-aggressive and they get real nippy, not sure if the OP wants that.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

20. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Perhaps that can happen. Mine are fine in my 55gal with a total of 35 fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice