35 gal. Hexagon Tank Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by timon4, Mar 28, 2010.

1. timon4

timon4 New Member Member

Hello, I found a really good deal on a 35 gallon hexagon tank with stand and I was wondering if this would be an appropriate tank for a couple clown fish, anenome, and LR?

2. nemo addict

nemo addict Well Known Member Member

you could house clowns in there dependant on which type of clowns you want to keep ,, And a nem shouldnt be put in a new tank they require a more mature tank to live

3. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

I hear that anemones need a mature tank to survive, but I am not sure why. Can you explain why that is?

4. nemo addict

with a new tank you have a lot of swings and nems dont like this as they are slow to react to changing water conditions , you will also get differant algae cycles which will also make your tank swing ,, this is why most people say at least 3 months but i would reccomend 6 months as by 6 months you should be well out of the algae stages , tanks tend to crash around 4-5 months if not being kept properly and anyone with 3 months experince is not going to be able to keep a nem sucessfully ,

5. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't say anyone;),
    I got mine with probably about 2-3 months experience. Everything went well...except when it stayed in the corner of the glass and I thought that was ugly so I tired to move it. Its sort of discustingly slimy, lol.

but I would not reccomend it for anyone who just started though. I was lucky it was fine with all the GHA and algae problems and water swings.

6. locoyo386

What do you mean, swings? What do you mean by "changing water conditions? How are they brought upon a newly cycled tank?

How do algea outbreaks bring tank swings? What tank swings are you refering to?

What lagea stages are you refering to? I thought that algea grow was due to high nitrates and phosphate. I understand that if you have high nitrates you will have peroblems keeping an anemone, but if you don't have nitrate issues form the begginig, how is that not stable enough for an anemone?

With this last statement I can conclude that it is hard to keep an anemone from the begining, when a tank fisrt cycles, due to maintance issues and not tank issues. If that's not correct than I still do not understand how a well maintained tank can't host an anemone from the begining.

7. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

I think swings meaning the cycle. At start of cycle there is little bacteria and the bacteria will build up as the cycle continues. So I would assume in a mature tank, there's more bacteria as oppose to a new tank thats bacteria is just starting to come out. So the more bacteria that will "eat" the ammonia, nitrates, etc. the more stable the tank will be because ammonia spikes, nitrates, etc. will be unlikely if maintained properly.

I think he meant the other way around;)

8. nemo addict

I am not getting in to another petty what is this and why this and can you show me proof postings as you always do,,,
    If you just dont understand what i mean by tank swings then here it is ,, (may just be a english phrase) swings in parameters within the tank , from ph (ph swing) to phosphates .
    with a new tank it all takes time to settle down as you allready know, from the cycling of the tank and i have seen other posts you have replied to and you know all about the algae cycles within a new tank diatoms,cyno,hair,
    Your last comment : anemones are very sensitive and slow reacting, so putting in a new tank and raising the bio load pretty quick can have adverse affects on the nem , this is why a mature tank is reccomended as being mature it can cope with a bigger bio load being put on it , this is also why you are advised when starting a new tank only to put a few fish in at a time , but when matured you can put more in at one time ,, nems also close up and expell waste and this can also affect a new tank that cant cope with it

9. locoyo386

I do not mean to put you on the spot, but I heard that recommendation from almost everyone. When I give advise I can explain what I mean. I thought sine you gave that advice you should be able to explain it. As mentioned before, initially you do not want to add a lot of fish at once due to the bacterial colony. If you started the cycling tank with enough ammonia to equal the waste of 3 fish, than guess what; once the tanks cycles you will be able to add 3 fish. When people say that anemones need a mature tank, I do not know why that is. In all my tanks there has not been a level change other than nitrates (this might affect the oxygen level in the tank), after it cycles. I think that is because of routine maintenance. Also most algae are not due to level changes or swings, they are based on the level of nitrates and phosphates. I do know that the anemone might be sensitive to nitrates. Also diatoms are during the cycling of the tank, and are there as long as the silicate from the sand is consumed. Not sure how sensitive the anemones are, but if they are very sensitive, than even in mature tanks the levels can change enough that they might affect the anemone. I think being able to keep an anemone really depends on maintenance practices rather than how old the tank is. If someone is able to maintain their tank well, than they should be able to keep an anemone. I never kept an anemone so I really do no t know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice