34 Litre tank - Fishless Cycling - Times

1. jeebo Member Member

Hi Guys,

So I am about to start a fishless cycle, but I need to know realistically how long it will take for a 34 litre tank, and if I can speed the process up.

After the failure of the last tank and the loss of the molly's - I dont want to rush into anything, that said, I dont really want kids getting upset everyday for a month that they still dont have the fish.

so for a 34 litre tank, adding nitrifying bacteria, and using an ammonia solution (around 10%) - realistically, how long would a full cycle take, and what would be the lowest it could realistically be?

Also if I keep adding the nitrifying bacteria, along with my used noodles, filter media and the gravel / ornaments - how much should I be adding of liquid ammonia? so far I have read 1ml should suffice, until the levels stabilise, and then I can add maybe 1/5 ml?

EDIT:

Just to add, I have the preexisting media from a former tank, gravel, filter noodles, filter cartridge and wool, along with a couple of ornaments which were sat in the water.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you use a product like Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start Plus, it can take 2 weeks or less.

What are you planning on stocking the tank with?

3. jeebo Member Member

I have got a few different products but these are the main ones I am using in par with boosting:

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aquacare-value-pack-large

I am running the ammonia direct, and checked tonight, Nitrites are roughly 4, and nitrates are around 120 (hopefully thats the right way around!)

As for stocking, I am looking at 2-4 guppies and maybe a couple of OTO catfish. we might have some tetra's in there but its unlikely as I dont want to overstock!

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Otos are too active for this tank, but 2-3 male guppies should be fine. I don't know anything about those products, but it sounds like it's working if you have nitrites and nitrates.