34 Litre tank - Fishless Cycling - Times

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jeebo, Jun 6, 2016.

1. jeeboValued MemberMember

Hi Guys,

So I am about to start a fishless cycle, but I need to know realistically how long it will take for a 34 litre tank, and if I can speed the process up.

After the failure of the last tank and the loss of the molly's - I dont want to rush into anything, that said, I dont really want kids getting upset everyday for a month that they still dont have the fish.

so for a 34 litre tank, adding nitrifying bacteria, and using an ammonia solution (around 10%) - realistically, how long would a full cycle take, and what would be the lowest it could realistically be?

Also if I keep adding the nitrifying bacteria, along with my used noodles, filter media and the gravel / ornaments - how much should I be adding of liquid ammonia? so far I have read 1ml should suffice, until the levels stabilise, and then I can add maybe 1/5 ml?

EDIT:

Just to add, I have the preexisting media from a former tank, gravel, filter noodles, filter cartridge and wool, along with a couple of ornaments which were sat in the water.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

If you use a product like Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start Plus, it can take 2 weeks or less.

What are you planning on stocking the tank with?

3. OP
    OP
    j

jeeboValued MemberMember

I have got a few different products but these are the main ones I am using in par with boosting:

I am running the ammonia direct, and checked tonight, Nitrites are roughly 4, and nitrates are around 120 (hopefully thats the right way around!)

As for stocking, I am looking at 2-4 guppies and maybe a couple of OTO catfish. we might have some tetra's in there but its unlikely as I dont want to overstock!

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Otos are too active for this tank, but 2-3 male guppies should be fine. I don't know anything about those products, but it sounds like it's working if you have nitrites and nitrates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice