3 years
I got the tank and it leaked so a new one is coming next week

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello lil,

Sorry to hear that your new tank leaked. I'm glad you're able to get a replacement!

Keep us posted.

Ken

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
its coming either monday to wendsday are the expected times for it to arive
it has a huge hang over light, with a protien skimmer, water resevoirs, and 2 pumps(10 gallon sump)

and fish, suggestions:

a pair of ocellaris clownfish
a royall gramma
a firefish
a sixline wrasse
and a jawfish(I have the right substrate 6 in.)

is that to much for a 34 gallon reef

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, IMO that is too many fish for a 34 gallon. If you want a pair of clowns, I'd suggest cutting the list down to the clown pair, firefish, and jawfish. If you decide to keep only one clown, you could add the gramma, firefish, and jawfish. Sixlines can be pretty aggressive and I think one might bully some of the other fish on your list.

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
could I take the sixline wrasse off and keep the rest

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Honestly, I wouldn't stock that heavily, but that's JMO. The jawfish is really fascinating, and since you have a deep enough substrate to keep one, I think you should keep it on your list for sure. Does your tank have a lid? I've lost several jawfish to jumping. Even when they settle in to the tank, they still are prone to jumping.

If it were my tank, I'd go with an ocellaris clown pair, firefish, and jawfish (pearly jawfish is one of the cheaper species and pretty readily available). Again, that's JMO.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you could. I don't really look on how big they grow, but what kind of filtration you have. Generally, IMO the stronger filtration you have the more fish since you would be able to handle the bio load, but as Hapura said, it varies from person to person. Everyone has their opinions on things.

Just look at my tank, they're seriously overstocked, but they should be fine, but don't take that as an example. I spend serious amounts of $$$ on filtration and still thinking about a 300 or above gallons upgrade ;D

I would add slowly and see if you and your tank could handle it. I would though skip the wrasse.

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a lid and I am skipping the wrasse
with a 10 gallon sump
that has a protien skimmer, a some filter pads, a power head and a water topper (freshwater to keep salinity from getting so high) it has 20 pounds of live rock adding to that and 6 in deep of live sand

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of skimmer?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You just started this tank I would not recommend putting any thing in your tank!! Soon as you set up let it cycle for 3 nonths or so. Are you doing live rock? Are you going to have fish only or reef? Don't buy fish yet till you are totally ready meaning water parimetrers etc.!!!I need more info please. Don't try till you have completed the nitrogen cycle!!!!

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have the live rock read the top post and I'm cycling it with the pair of clowns

its going to be a reef tank

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
why with the clown???

the clown will most likely die due to the ammonia spike and lack of bacteria. The cycle with damsel is because it's cheap. The damsel will die so there wll be nitrate and ammonia present to make cycle faster.

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
clowns are damsels too

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have 60 pounds of live sand for my jawfish and 20 pounds of live rock that I'm adding to to make caves for my firefish and royal gramma. I expect to get a rose anemone for the clowns after 4-6 months, yes I have enough lighting (huge metal halide lights).

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lil0618 said:
clowns are damsels too
"damsels" are cheaper than clowns. Clowns cost about $20 a piece compared to damsels. Damsels usually range from 5-10 bucks.

so when cycling with fish, its expected that the fish will die. It makes more sense to pay cheaper for something that will give you the same thing in the end (nitrates, ammonia from the dead fish) (in other words, you might need to get another set after the cycle is complete - if there is an ammonia spike)

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is no reason to cycle with live animals. A raw shrimp is less entertaining than fish, but much more humane IMO.

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
harpua2002 said:
There is no reason to cycle with live animals. A raw shrimp is less entertaining than fish, but much more humane IMO.
the invertebrates on,live rock are live animals

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, and you can't avoid harming them through the process of cycling. There is nothing you can do to avoid that. Cycling with fish, however, CAN be avoided.

Just trying to help. Rushing into things will lead only to frustration. I'm kind of questioning the advice you are getting from your lfs if they are telling you to cycle with fish.

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
okay

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea I agree with everyone you are moving way ahead of yourself clowns are not like damsels even with damsels curing rock will die off due to high ammonia then high nitrites you are not going the right way my friend!!! The LFS is telling you wrong info!!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads