33g tank. Neons and one Angel

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am just out of luck with my 33g. All my rummynose tetras are gone to what looks like columnaris. I wanted to have an angel and a school of rummynose but I am not buying any more rummys. They are just not healthy from the start. Currently I have 8 harlequins, 4 cories and a black molly (max size 2", 2 years old)
I heard that angels might eat the neons but I don't know what to add. I want something that prefers the lower region of the tank and an angel. I thought maybe adding 6 neons and after a week a young angel (3 inch long) or maybe a young angel and 2 gbr (though I am not sure I am experienced enough to keep these). I can't find any cardinals here. I can only find white/black skirts, serpae, rummynose (i am afraid to get any more of them). Do you think that the neons and angel will work?

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you think there was a disease present in your tank I wouldn't add anything for the time being. I would give it at least a month with no fish exhibiting symptoms before any new fish. Also, a good cleaning of the substrate is in order imo.

As far as the neons go, as the angel grows he will probably eat them, I would think out of those fish, the black skirts or the serpaes have the best chance of not being eaten because of their large laterally compressed body would not make them a perfect size mouthful like the neons.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I added 7 neons in my tank and I will buy a 4 month old angel next week. If the angel becomes aggressive I will move them to my 10gallon tank. are 3-4 month old angels way more sensitive than older ones? they are very small

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Imo they're a generally sensitive fish whether adult or juvie, but juvies of alot species seem a little more delicate imo. I would assume you're probably going to end up getting nickel or quarter sized angel at that age (body size excluding fins) but there are variables to the growth rate like diet and tank size.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom