33 Gallon Long Blackwater Build

wrs2

I hate my current 33 long, so I am going to make it into a Blackwater aquarium, which was what I had originally wanted to do with it, but I didn't.
The tank now has black sand, and Seriyu stone. It will all be taken out and used in a different aquarium.

I got sand at Home Depot, which thankfully does Curbside contactless pick up!

I will only be using grass like plants (Val and Crypt spiralis) Java Fern and this one huge crypt I have. My main issue is I don't know what type of fish to stock it with. I have a few South American fish in there which may be fine in the Black Water set up, others not. Has anyone done a mixed Blackwater set up with SA and Asian fish? I may have to keep my German Rams in this tank, but generally I like Asian fish better.

Anyways, tomorrow I will be washing the sand. I also need to order wood as I gave most of my good pieces to my cousin haha.

Fahn

There are several species of betta, some of which can be kept in groups without issue. I personally love Betta macrostoma. Along with bettas are several species of gourami, including the beautiful licorice gouramis. There are also the microrasboras of SE Asia, and shrimp do really well in blackwater tanks as well (most being native to Taiwan and other parts of SE Asia).

wrs2

I did an Anabantoidei black water in a 20 long, which I loved. So I was thinking of female bettas... But I also want a Pearl Gourami. I have never seen those gourami and bettas mentioned above in store, and I am too broke to pay for shipping of fish haha.

Fahn

wrs2 said:
I did an Anabantoidei black water in a 20 long, which I loved. So I was thinking of female bettas... But I also want a Pearl Gourami. I have never seen those gourami and bettas mentioned above in store, and I am too broke to pay for shipping of fish haha.
I know it's SA, but I used to care for a 55g blackwater with 30 neon tetras in it. The amber water really made their blues and reds pop. The same tank also had a pair of veil angels and about 20 emerald corydoras, and a bristlenose pleco (that I never, ever saw lol).

wrs2

Oh I definitely should do Corydoras.
I hate Neon tetras, but I love Cardinal tetras. I had 9 of them, but my tank got ich last month and 5 died because for some reason I could not get it under control (never had this issue before) so I think they would look nice.

I will probably go for a mixed BlackWater in the end! I usually hate mixing fish though.

wrs2

Changed out the sand!!

92743706_563333517912176_1501489569902624768_n.jpg

MacZ

You have SA fish in it, I'd stick to them. The difference between most blackwater biotopes in SA and SEA is the waterflow. You find far more blackwater in South East Asia to be quite stagnant, while most in South America only have a semi stagnant phase in the dry season.

Also if you go real blackwater (low pH, low hardness, low conductivity) your stocking density is lower than usual and many plants won't do well, while you can't fertilize except via root tabs. CO2 I have never seen working in real blackwater setups.

I keep cardinals (also lost 4 out of 8) and Corydoras habrosus in my tank. Works out fine. And yes, cardinals look awesome in blackwater!

wrs2

The SA fish are not all black water fish though, so I have a different tank they will be going to. They are mollies and guppies. I also have ember tetras, only 4, who I have a tank for as well, leaving me with.... 2 GBR, 3 Female Bettas and 6 Cardinal Tetras.

I had a planted blackwater tank for Asian fish, which was the plan for this when I got it, to upgrade the tank. But I never did it. I stupidly took that tank down, it was sad. Really all I wanted to do was remake it in this one haha.

MacZ

wrs2 said:
The SA fish are not all black water fish though, so I have a different tank they will be going to. They are mollies and guppies. I also have ember tetras, only 4, who I have a tank for as well, leaving me with.... 2 GBR, 3 Female Bettas and 6 Cardinal Tetras.

I had a planted blackwater tank for Asian fish, which was the plan for this when I got it, to upgrade the tank. But I never did it. I stupidly took that tank down, it was sad. Really all I wanted to do was remake it in this one haha.
I'd count guppies and mollies as Central American. And yes, all but blackwater. Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do with livebearers. Wouldn't have gotten them in the first place. But that's a matter of taste.

GBR are also not really blackwater fish, though they like it acidic and low hardness.

I'd go with the tetras and GBR and do another tank for the bettas.

wrs2

I don't want to do tetras and GBRs in this tank any longer, so I am not going to. I have other tanks they can go to.
I really want to get a pearl gourami and possibly base the tank stocking off that. Of course it won't be a long while before that can happen.

Though I have also been toying with the idea of doing a river set up, as I have a tank with Danios so I can base the tank off of them.

I go through phases with tanks where I like them as planted, then I hate them and want them black-water, then I hate the black-water and want planted again lol.

wrs2

87FA663F-A1CE-457F-9071-E2419A021DDA.jpeg
I did some of the hard scape. I stupidly didn’t move any of the fish out though. Not 100% I like this so I may redo it.

Top Bottom