33 gal tank breeding discussion

Benjikopittke

Any tips on 33 gal tank
Breeding bristlenose and guppy

BigManAquatics

Welcome to Fishlore!

KeeperOFnano

Hello

If you're breeding Guppies I highly suggest setting up a couple tubs. There's no tank that's big enough! Lol especially when breeding livebearers.

Seperate setups would be key, one for the Plecos and a bunch of tubs for the Poeciliidae.

This will help in sorting and line breeding the Poeciliidae...as for the Plecos, big terracotta cones seem to work very well.

Neppley

I love bristlenose plecos! Hope you stick with breeding them! They can be a great fish to breed for profit when you start breeding too many lol!

Rose of Sharon

Welcome to Fishlore!! Hope you love it here! :)

Benjikopittke

Hello

If you're breeding Guppies I highly suggest setting up a couple tubs. There's no tank that's big enough! Lol especially when breeding livebearers.

Seperate setups would be key, one for the Plecos and a bunch of tubs for the Poeciliidae.

This will help in sorting and line breeding the Poeciliidae...as for the Plecos, big terracotta cones seem to work very well.
Can I just leave the guppy’s in the tank I have Java moss I do two water changes a week and cleaning gravel and with bristlenose I’m going to get some longfin to breed

Do I have to move the fish to tanks if I’m going to sell them I’m already doing two water changes a week and gravel vacuum

Sunrise

So your selling your fish? (Just want to clarify)

Benjikopittke

Yea I’m selling them

I was wondering if it’s ok I have about 4 guppy’s and 2 adult bristlenose getting 2 juvenile long fin bristlenose catfish but is 33 gal tank big enough I do two water changes a week and vacuum and when baby’s arrive I’ll probably do more water changes any suggestions on what to do or if tanks big enough

I’m already breeding bristlenose and guppy’s is ther any tips or other fish I can breed in 33 gal long

ChrissFishes01

If you have enough plant cover you could breed some shrimp in there. Cherry shrimp are the most popular, but they come in all sorts of colors. Easy enough to throw in a group of 12, and with good water quality and enough food you'll have hundreds in months.

Another option would be mystery snails. You'd probably have to remove the egg clutches from the water line and hatch the babies in a separate tank, but it's not an extremely difficult process. You could do these along with the shrimp.

devsi

Don't you have to be really careful with mystery snail eggs as they are harmful to humans?

ChrissFishes01

Don't you have to be really careful with mystery snail eggs as they are harmful to humans?
I've never heard this. I think some species of Apple snail eggs are toxic, but I've handled mystery snail eggs with no issues.

devsi

I've never heard this. I think some species of Apple snail eggs are toxic, but I've handled mystery snail eggs with no issues.

Fair enough :)

Blacksheep1

Apple snail Eggs are coated in a slime-like substance and carry a harmful parasite called rat lungworm. The bright pink egg cases contain a powerful neurotoxin so don't touch them. Not heard anything about my mysteries though.

Are these all the same tank ? If so I vote shrimp too ,with cover as the top and bottom are quite full already. Shrimp are a low bioload and small. It may take a while to get a good colony going with guppy’s though.

Benjikopittke

If you have enough plant cover you could breed some shrimp in there. Cherry shrimp are the most popular, but they come in all sorts of colors. Easy enough to throw in a group of 12, and with good water quality and enough food you'll have hundreds in months.

Another option would be mystery snails. You'd probably have to remove the egg clutches from the water line and hatch the babies in a separate tank, but it's not an extremely difficult process. You could do these along with the shrimp.
Thank probably mite chick some cherry shrimp I have been thinking about breeding them
Apple snail Eggs are coated in a slime-like substance and carry a harmful parasite called rat lungworm. The bright pink egg cases contain a powerful neurotoxin so don't touch them. Not heard anything about my mysteries though.

Are these all the same tank ? If so I vote shrimp too ,with cover as the top and bottom are quite full already. Shrimp are a low bioload and small. It may take a while to get a good colony going with guppy’s though.
Thanks I’ll get some cherry shrimp any thoughts on the water changes I normally do 2 a week with gravel vacuum getting some longfin have two adult bristlenose is 33 gal enough to breed this much

Yeah I’ll look at some cheep cherry shrimp thanks for your help

devsi

Not heard anything about my mysteries though.

Aren't mystery snails a type of apple snail? Perhaps that's where my confusion stems from, I've read the "Eggs are coated in a slime-like substance and carry a harmful parasite called rat lungworm..." thing before, and assumed it applied to Mystery Snails as they are a type of Apple....

Thanks I’ll get some cherry shrimp any thoughts on the water changes I normally do 2 a week with gravel vacuum getting some longfin have two adult bristlenose is 33 gal enough to breed this much

I wouldn't have thought you need more than two water changes a week, but your water parameters (especially Nitrate) should be your guide for that, not what some internet stranger thinks.

I never gravel vac my substrate.

FishDin

Are trying to breed to sell or just for your own fun?

Blacksheep1

Most people with just cherry shrimp do a 10-20% change , carefully temp matched , a week. I say most because some do more , some do less, but they don’t like massive swings in changes. Feed some blanched green veggies like spinach , courgette , broccoli , your plecos will be happy with that too, probs once or twice a week as you’ll be feeding fish too.

the bare bottom could provide an issue from what I can see. No cover for the babies to hide from the fish.
Cholla wood is a good option but that’s your choice . Baby plecos will probably use it but the risk of one getting stuck is something for you to weigh up. Plants like sessiliflora (fine bushy leaves ) provide cover and I can’t see why you can’t plant them in a pot , unless that’s a personal choice.

A pH of around 7- 7.6 , gh around 5-8 and kh of around 4-6 ish is usually what’s recommended, helps with healthy moults. These do have wiggle round obviously I’m just giving you a recommended basic so you have an idea.
If you have a smaller tank you could get them breeding in there and add a couple of your culls to see how they do , then you’re not buying expensive live food incase they don’t survive.

Neppley

If you want more options on bn pleco breeding resources I published an article on it! You can find it under articles. As for Guppies there are plenty of resources on them here in fish lore!

Benjikopittke

Ok thanks you
Ok thanks you
If you want more options on bn pleco breeding resources I published an article on it! You can find it under articles. As for Guppies there are plenty of resources on them here in fish lore!Ok thank you
Are trying to breed to sell or just for your own fun?
Probably for fun and some money

Just wondering do I need a extra tank I have to adult bristlenose and I’m getting two long fin. I have four guppy’s i kinda wanna just keep all the fry in the tank I do 2 water changes a week and vacuum with it any tips thanks.

Flyfisha

Hey Benjikopittke
You may not like my reply but you did ask.

You can breed a few guppies in a 33 gallon and you can even raise a few BN pleco fry. You will however have to cull hard and often as both species will quickly overpopulate the tank and two more 33 gallon tanks.

It would be best to just raise one species at a time.
It would be necessary to have a maximum of two adult BN .
An immature female BN will have over one hundred eggs . An adult can have over two hundred eggs. You will have to cull that down to a few dozen. You will have to separate the pair or get more and more fry every 3 weeks. They will die if you don’t cull the numbers down nothing is more certain. Potentially you could lose all the fish ? Even water changes every day will not be enough. 33 gallons is just not big enough to save every fry/ egg/ juvenile.

The last time I had a spawn of BN I was working with 6 twenty gallon tanks of fry plus the adults in separate tanks. It’s 6 months of work to get them to 2 inches. Only half that time if you can sell them at a smaller size? By two inches the males are fighting over food and pushing the females off the food. Having multiple tanks means you can separate the smaller (female) juveniles.

BN sell well in my town but are still only worth around a dollar a centimetre. You need to make sure you have a shop that will take them before you start.
In my town the chain stores sell BN for $15 each for tiny little things. It does not mean I can get more than 2 or 3 dollars store credit if I am lucky.

In my town guppies are worthless.

I don’t want to stop you I am saying you need to plan ahead on how you are going to get rid of the offspring.

Coradee

Several threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic.

Redshark1

I have found Bristlenoses to be quite territorial in behaviour so I'd be inclined to avoid putting new ones in there or they may be bullied and chased which will be stressful and can lead to death.

Benjikopittke

Hey Benjikopittke
You may not like my reply but you did ask.

You can breed a few guppies in a 33 gallon and you can even raise a few BN pleco fry. You will however have to cull hard and often as both species will quickly overpopulate the tank and two more 33 gallon tanks.

It would be best to just raise one species at a time.
It would be necessary to have a maximum of two adult BN .
An immature female BN will have over one hundred eggs . An adult can have over two hundred eggs. You will have to cull that down to a few dozen. You will have to separate the pair or get more and more fry every 3 weeks. They will die if you don’t cull the numbers down nothing is more certain. Potentially you could lose all the fish ? Even water changes every day will not be enough. 33 gallons is just not big enough to save every fry/ egg/ juvenile.

The last time I had a spawn of BN I was working with 6 twenty gallon tanks of fry plus the adults in separate tanks. It’s 6 months of work to get them to 2 inches. Only half that time if you can sell them at a smaller size? By two inches the males are fighting over food and pushing the females off the food. Having multiple tanks means you can separate the smaller (female) juveniles.

BN sell well in my town but are still only worth around a dollar a centimetre. You need to make sure you have a shop that will take them before you start.
In my town the chain stores sell BN for $15 each for tiny little things. It does not mean I can get more than 2 or 3 dollars store credit if I am lucky.

In my town guppies are worthless.

I don’t want to stop you I am saying you need to plan ahead on how you are going to get rid of the offspring.
Yeah all good I have bigger 55 gal I’ll prolly move all the britlenose in ther and keep the guppy’s in 33 gal thanks got your reply

Aren't mystery snails a type of apple snail? Perhaps that's where my confusion stems from, I've read the "Eggs are coated in a slime-like substance and carry a harmful parasite called rat lungworm..." thing before, and assumed it applied to Mystery Snails as they are a type of Apple....

I wouldn't have thought you need more than two water changes a week, but your water parameters (especially Nitrate) should be your guide for that, not what some internet stranger thinks.

I never gravel vac my substrate.
Yeah I have test kit heater is perfectly fine
Most people with just cherry shrimp do a 10-20% change , carefully temp matched , a week. I say most because some do more , some do less, but they don’t like massive swings in changes. Feed some blanched green veggies like spinach , courgette , broccoli , your plecos will be happy with that too, probs once or twice a week as you’ll be feeding fish too.

the bare bottom could provide an issue from what I can see. No cover for the babies to hide from the fish.
Cholla wood is a good option but that’s your choice . Baby plecos will probably use it but the risk of one getting stuck is something for you to weigh up. Plants like sessiliflora (fine bushy leaves ) provide cover and I can’t see why you can’t plant them in a pot , unless that’s a personal choice.

A pH of around 7- 7.6 , gh around 5-8 and kh of around 4-6 ish is usually what’s recommended, helps with healthy moults. These do have wiggle round obviously I’m just giving you a recommended basic so you have an idea.
If you have a smaller tank you could get them breeding in there and add a couple of your culls to see how they do , then you’re not buying expensive live food incase they don’t survive.
Thanks for the reply I’ll try to get more cover I do have a smaller tank I’ll probably get that set up to thanks

Blacksheep1

The longer it runs before you add shrimp the better chance they’ll have. Run a light 24/7 until they are in the tank for algea growth, you want biofilm for them to graze on . As said before plants are good , especially any old ones with algea on .
Good luck !

Benjikopittke

In my 33 gal I’m breeding bristlenose guppy’s and cherry shrimp I’m not thinking of breeding anything else I have some guppy fry. The bristlenose have been in and out of the cave but no spawn I have some Java moss and Java ferns I was thinking of wisteria up the top. Just tell me what you guys think at the moment I’m doing 3 water changes a week just to help guppy’s grow. Any advice thanks

So I was wondering it’s only 33 gal but I have guppy’s bristlenose shrimp when the bristlenose breed can I like keep some of the baby’s to grow out in the same tank. do you think it would be to stocked it I had like 5 adults and a bunch of baby bristlenose and some guppy’s I do 3 water changes a week for now thanks.

FishDin

5 adults is a lot for a tank that size. You only need a pair for breeding. You will need more tanks before long unless you have homes for all the fry, but yes, if it's not overstocked the BN fry can easily be raised with the parents.

Benjikopittke

Yeah ok thanks for the reply

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jaquatic
Replies
Views
chromedome52
  • Question
Replies
Views