30g with Cichlid(s)?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Mugsy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. M

Mugsy New Member Member

Hi all,

Attached is a pic of my 30g tank which is busy cycling.
    Im considering getting a Blue Acara when its ready, from what I've read 30g should be fine....can anyone here offer any more advise (maybe from experience or whatever) as I really am tryign to go about this the right way.
    Would it be possible to stock other smaller cichlids along with it or would that be a stretch with the 30g?
    (The plants on the right are real, the one in the middle is a plastic fake just for decor).

Thanks in advance.

Aquarium.jpg

2. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

I think the Blue Acara by itself is a stretch in a 30 gallon. I wouldn't do it, they get too big and need room.

I have kept Mbuna cichlids (Red Zebra, Johanni, Yellow Labs, Acei, OB Zebras ect.) in a 30 gallon. Max you could have is about 7 or 8, and this is very difficult to maintain. Over-filtration and weekly water changes is a must.

You could also consider a pair of dwarf cichlids (Rams, Apistogrammas, Kriensis ect.)

3. Ilyas

Ilyas Valued Member Member

I keep Blue Acara and have started breeding them. They get up to 6 inches. A 30g would be the bare minimum I would keep one in. I would also consider a Dwarf or two, but keep in mind the females get real aggressive when they are ready to become Mommies. They also produce more ammonia than the average Cichlid. If you are not ready to do at least 20-30% water changes weekly (which I break into two days of half the amount each) then I would just stick to a tank with Dwarfs. Both species are very sweet and have behaved well in the communities I have had them in. The Blue Acaras I keep can be fed by hand at a very young age and they visit you as you view your aquarium. We had some babies hatch this morning also, so we have a pretty happy house right now.

4. Ilyas

So some sites I see say this fish gets up to 8 inches. Around 6 inches is what we have experienced on average. Keep in mind this is the size of the males, the females are on average an inch or two smaller in size. They certainly do not get any bigger than a most Mbuna, I know because I keep them too. So one would be ok. But, most people fall in love with these fish and you may want to get more in the future. May I suggest you keep in mind a possible upgrade in tanks in the future. I have also found some DIY filters on You Tube. Just search DIY filters. You will come across one that is made form a juice bottle, some K1 filter media and uses an air pump to move the water. I have installed these in two of my tanks over the last number of weeks and received amazing results. I do use them in combination with regular HOB filters that I have supped up as well with some extra bio and mechanical media. I prefer Aqua Clear and Fluval and I try to get filters systems that are rated for double what my tanks capacity is. I sure hope all this gibberish helps some how and if I can help you any further just ask.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

Is the tank a 29 or a 30 gallon? 29 gallons are 30 inches long, while a 30 gallon is 36 inches long.

6. Ilyas

My tank is 3o inch by 12.5 inches by 19 inches and the volume is 30 gallons. That is according to the previous owner and the volume calculator as well. Is there something I am not understanding...

7. Jaysee

Well, 29 gallon tanks are 30 inches long while 30 gallon tanks are 36 inches long. The extra 6 inches in length makes a bigger difference than just the one gallon. For all intents and purposes, you have a 29 gallon tank. If it were 36 inches long then you would have more wiggle room there.

8. Ilyas

I just find it odd that when I enter the measurements that I comes out to slightly more than 30 gallons. The extra 6" would be nice, but it is my Barb tank that currently houses a small Female Convict. She will move to a bigger home eventually, but for now she is happy there. Anyways....

9. Jaysee

There are industry standards for aquarium sizes. A 29 is 30.25 inches long, 12.5 inches wide and 18.75 inches high. However, that volume includes the glass, so the amount of water actually held is less.

If there wasn't a 30 gallon tank with different dimensions, it would all be a moot point.

10. Ilyas

I get that Jaysee. I am not trying to argue with you, just want to understand. Being new and all people can fool us easily which it seems happened when we bought ours. It is a nice tank though and excellent for my barbs. But I thank you for the information, it is very helpful indeed as we are going forward. Have a good one and good luck with your setup Mugsy.

11. OP
    OP
    M

Mugsy New Member Member

Thanks for the replies....its 36 inches long and width is 12.75 inches, height is 15 inches and volume works out at a touch under 30 gallons, somewhere around 29.8 gallons.

Either way, it seems that maybe 2-3 dwarf cichlids, or smaller mbuna's might be the right way to go as RandomZoid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice