30g - Will There Be Any Problems With This Plan? 30 Gallon Tank

1. Pilot Initiate Member

Hello, just wanted to thank in advance for any help given.

I am planning on getting a 30US gallon tank and it is going to be the first tank I'll have had since my childhood.

The tank will be a Juwel Primo 110, it has a 500l/h (132G) filter.

This is the stock I am planning on having.
    php?N=&L=31.8&D=14.1&H=17.7&J=&UV=gUS&UL=inch&F=10:200909300205:,8:200909300175:,3:200909300098:.png

I am planning on having the following plants
    Amazon sword plant.
    Bacopa Caroliniana
    Water Sprite
    Java Fern
    Maybe Java Moss

For the plants I'm not planning on using a nutrient rich substrate, most likely sand with homemade root tabs straight off the bat, occasionally use of liquid fertilizers but I am not sure on this yet. No carbon dioxide diffusion.

As I should be getting pygmy corys I want to use a fine dark sand to prevent them from being hurt, however I am not sure whether this is the best for them.

I was tempted to try Bolivian Rams (1m2f) instead of Honey Gourami (1m2f) but was concerened that whilst most people say they are peaceful there are still some that claim they can pick on tetras and corys, any thoughts?

Finally if I used the current stocking would there be anything else you would suggest? I am not planning on moving to a bigger tank after this one.

Thank you.

2. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

That would work but i would do Bronze Cories instead of Pygmies as they get larger and would go with Bolivian Rams or Honey Gourami better. I keep my Bolivian Rams with Bronze Cories and i have no problems.You could do this
    3 Honey Gourami(1 Male 2 Female) or 2 Bolivian Rams(1 Male 1 Female)
    10 Serpae Tetras
    8 Bronze Cories
    1 BN Pleco
    3 Nerite Snails
    Temp,-76'F

3. Landos Well Known Member Member

I have a 30 gal with pygmys, habrosus and hastatus corydoras.
    I am pretty sure the smaller corys like cooler waters, and a ram would not like that very much.
    Also, is a 132g/h filter be enough? I always thought you needed a filter that moved the water 10x an hour or am I mistaken?

4. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Bolivian Rams are a cool water fish(70-77'F) while German Blue Rams/Gold Rams/Electric Blue Rams need warmer water(78-84'F).

5. Landos Well Known Member Member

Ah, I just jumped to gbr