Question 30G acrylic bows out when full?

nonstop619

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have tried searching the forum and cant come up with an answer.

i just bought a 30G "sea clear" from craigslist. i filled it today to check for leaks. after a few minutes of staring at it looking for water i noticed that the front and back of tank bow out slightly. it has no leaks, i left it full for about an hour and watched for water.

i just want to know if this is normal or should i be worried

yukoandk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How much do you mean by "slightly"? I have a 55 gal Sea Clear that's 4ft long. If I look at the front of it very closely, yes, I could say it is bowing out ever so slightly. Never thought it would be bad--it's been running for almost a year--hope not!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My husband has a seaclear acrylic bow front. Don't they only make acrylic bowfront tanks? (Silly question probably..... but I'm a glass kinda girl). :-X

nonstop619

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so its almost the same empty or full. but i only noticed it when it was full. trick of the eye i guess.

here are some pics of tank.

1. empty tank front

314.jpg

2. empty tank rear

315.jpg

3. full tank front

316.jpg

4. full tank rear (its a towel behind the tank)

317.jpg

5. full tank top

318.jpg

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As long as you don't see seperation where the top plate is glued to the top of the tank edges I wouldn't worry about it.Use a strong flashlight from the inside shineing on the bond all the way around the tank if you don't see light through a crack fill it up and have fun.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom