300w Heater Too Big Or Malfunctioning?

KO_

I have an Aqueon 300w heater in my 55g. Recently I have had to move the temp up to 83-85 degrees to combat an ich scare. Now that I have beaten the scare I turned the heater back down. The heater is at its lowest setting but I can't get the temperature to drop below 81 degrees. I bought brand new digital thermometers a couple weeks ago so I don't it is the thermometer. Don't know if the heater is malfunctioning or it is compensating for the New England winter and temp changes in home.

Lchi87

What temperature is your home thermostat set at? Is it possible your tank is getting heat from your lighting?

Vxx7

I have an Aqueon 300w heater in my 55g. Recently I have had to move the temp up to 83-85 degrees to combat an ich scare. Now that I have beaten the scare I turned the heater back down. The heater is at its lowest setting but I can't get the temperature to drop below 81 degrees. I bought brand new digital thermometers a couple weeks ago so I don't it is the thermometer. Don't know if the heater is malfunctioning or it is compensating for the New England winter and temp changes in home.

I seem to be having a similar problem, but with a different brand (still 300w, but in a 70g). I turned mine up to 82 to encourage bacteria growth then set it to 78 for the fish before I added them but I can't get the tank to drop below a steady 80. It's winter here, 29 currently outside, central heating set to 68, there is a closed curtain to diffuse light in the day time and obviously the sun isn't heating it before 7am or after 4pm and yet it won't go down unless I turn it off for a hour to do a water change. I'm going to turn it down to 76 in the morning to see if the heater is two degrees out but let me know if you find a reason/cure for yours

Koi_guppies

If you have a hot light it can cause heat issues I have experienced this in my 10 gal. Also if it concerns you I would reccomend putting a frozen water bottle in the tank if it is hot where you live as that is the best way I have found to lower temperature without a chiller

Good luck with your tank hope you get this sorted

KO_

Well, Ill go ahead and say it, the dial on my heater got hung up, I thought it was turned down all the way....it wasn't. I got it down to 79 last night. It seems that I have fixed my own "issue" Thanks for the replies though!

Koi_guppies

Nice

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Fljoe
  • EmbersToAshes
  • Heater
Replies