300 watt heater for 6 gallon tank? About to buy...

  • Thread starter Fishproblem
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

Fishproblem

Well Known
Member
Messages
635
I can get a 300 watt hydor inline cheaper than a 200 watt. Would the 300 watt be harmful to my 6 gallon, or just more power than necessary?
 
  • #2

Fisheye

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,513
300w for a 6 gallon. Is that right?
 
  • #3

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Member
Messages
974
I guess i'm confused too. I have a 50W heater in my 5.5g. Is there a reason you would use one with such a high wattage for a tank that small?
 
  • #4

Mike1995

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,420
300w for 6g? Might be a little much
 
  • #5

Fisheye

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,513
Yeah. No.

I think it will be way to long for one thing.

I just got the Eheim 50w and it's as tall as a 10 gallon!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Fishproblem

Well Known
Member
Messages
635
  • #7

Mongo75

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,324
Kinda like putting a V-12 in a Smart car, lol. If it will fit, it'll work, but seriously...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Fishproblem

Well Known
Member
Messages
635
FreshwaterHG said:
I guess i'm confused too. I have a 50W heater in my 5.5g. Is there a reason you would use one with such a high wattage for a tank that small?
it's inline, so it would be outside of the tank. i can't find anything that small as an inline, and it's adjustable.

Mike1995 said:
300w for 6g? Might be a little much
but will an adjustable heater that size overheat the tank, or just be stronger than necessary?
 
  • #9

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Member
Messages
974
Fishproblem said:
it's inline, so it would be outside of the tank. i can't find anything that small as an inline, and it's adjustable.
I am not familiar with inline heaters myself. If you only are using it for the 6g its probably best to get a submersible one. Much cheaper and easier.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Fishproblem

Well Known
Member
Messages
635
Fisheye said:
Yeah. No.

I think it will be way to long for one thing.

I just got the Eheim 50w and it's as tall as a 10 gallon!
yeah i imagine a 300 watt in-tank heater would be way long but this would be hooked up to the hose on the filter.

otherwise, "yeah. no." because it's going to boil the water or?

FreshwaterHG said:
I am not familiar with inline heaters myself. If you only are using it for the 6g its probably best to get a submersible one. Much cheaper and easier.
Appreciate that but i'm trying to keep equipment out of the display. Price isn't a concern for this one!

Mongo75 said:
Kinda like putting a V-12 in a Smart car, lol. If it will fit, it'll work, but seriously...
maybe you have the answer then - a 300 watt adjustable heater won't fry a 6 gallon tank at 78F? fit's not a problem. it's an inline heater, which means it hooks up to the hose on my external canister filter instead of sitting in the display.
 
  • #11

Fisheye

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,513
Oh I'm so sorry, I did miss the inline bit. Need to call it a night.

What kind of filter do you have on a 6 gallon?

Well I know nothing of inline heaters so shall peace out. Best of luck and I hope you get a proper answer!! I'll tune into tomorrow to see what's what!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

Fishproblem

Well Known
Member
Messages
635
Fisheye said:
Oh I'm so sorry, I did miss the inline bit. Need to call it a night.

What kind of filter do you have on a 6 gallon?

Well I know nothing of inline heaters so shall peace out. Best of luck and I hope you get a proper answer!! I'll tune into tomorrow to see what's what!
no problem, looks like i should have made that part more evident to everyone!
I'm setting up an eheim classic on it with a spin pipe outflow.

gonna do a little more research on the google machine to be sure it won't fry my fish or my plants, but i think it'll be safe to use.

g'night!
 
  • #13

Fisheye

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,513
No you were clear, seriously. I know it's me anyway.

The smallest classic is a 2211-and that's not a tornado on a 6?

I love Classics.

:;bananasplit Nightienight!! :;bananasplit
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

Fishproblem

Well Known
Member
Messages
635
The resolution, in case anyone is curious: paid an extra $4 for the 200 watt instead. I found some intel on ... another forum ... where folks said they've used the 200 watt hydor on nano tanks in the 7-10 gallon range safely for over a year (even on reefs!).

This is for a high tech, super #aesthetic planted tank, so it felt worth it to me to have the heater outside of the display.

Fisheye I know you're already asleep, so this is for tomorrow lol - the spin outflow slows down the water significantly before it enters the tank. Allegedy. Haven't turned it on yet.
 
  • #15

Mongo75

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,324
Fishproblem said:
maybe you have the answer then - a 300 watt adjustable heater won't fry a 6 gallon tank at 78F? fit's not a problem. it's an inline heater, which means it hooks up to the hose on my external canister filter instead of sitting in the display.
As long as it doesn't malfunction in the on state, it's no different than a 25W or 50W heater. When it senses the water temp drop below a set value, it comes on, and when it reaches a set value it goes off. Being an inline heater doesn't change the way it operates.

Because of it's power, 300W, it will heat the water faster than a smaller heater, and that may be a problem. If the intake water drops in temp, it may take too long for the heated water to circulate back to the intake, and you might see larger fluctuations due to that. If it were me, I'd get a heater controller like the Ink-Bird 306 or 308. They use a small probe (intrusive, but not as bad as a heater) to monitor the tank temp, and turn on/off the heater's AC power. The 306 will control two heaters (in the same tank) and the 308 has one heater outlet and one cooler outlet, for running a chiller or fan. They're also more accurate than a regular aquarium heater.
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Aqua...strial&sprefix=inkbird+,industrial,210&sr=1-3
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-...strial&sprefix=inkbird+,industrial,210&sr=1-4
 
  • #16

Flyfisha

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,374
If I may add to this unusual thread?
One watt per litre is how we in the metric world decide what heater to use in any tank.
6 gallons is 22.71 litres= a 25 watt heater.

A 300 or a 200 watt heater will be turning on and off many more times per hour than a 25 watt heater.
The thermostat will not last as long in my opinion with this constant off on off on.
 
  • #17

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
907
I once put an Eheim Jager 300 wt heater in my 29 gallon. It heated the water way to fast, but I had nothing living in it. If I had, I believe this fast of rise in temp would have been very uncomfortable for them.
 
  • #18

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,479
In theory watts don't matter as the thermostat will regulate it. Heck I threw a 400 watt into a 20 gallon and it worked just as it should.
 
  • #19

Gone

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,720
I'll preface this by saying I have no expertise in electronics or physics.

I have a 300 watt heater in my 40G outdoor tub. I have 50 watt heaters in my 10G's in my fish room. I also put 50 watt heaters in my 5G's because the smaller preset heaters were ****, but I was concerned the 50 watt might be too powerful. It's been fine.

They all work on the same principle. There's a thermostat that turns the heater on and off to maintain a set temperature. But the target temperature is an average. If you put a huge heater into a small aquarium, it's not going to do the same thing as a smaller heater. The heating part of the cycle will be much hotter with the 300 watt than it would be with the 50 watt. I expect you'll see a wider temperature variation with a heater that big.

I think the same principle would apply with HVAC systems. I have a residential furnace and air conditioner. If I installed a commercial unit for a 10,000 square foot facility, it would work the same, theoretically, but if the furnace kicked in it would probably quickly heat the space to an uncomfortable level.

I think having a 300 watt heater would make a difference, and it wouldn't be a good thing.
 
  • #20

Fisheye

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,513
Fishproblem said:
The resolution, in case anyone is curious: paid an extra $4 for the 200 watt instead. I found some intel on ... another forum ... where folks said they've used the 200 watt hydor on nano tanks in the 7-10 gallon range safely for over a year (even on reefs!).

This is for a high tech, super #aesthetic planted tank, so it felt worth it to me to have the heater outside of the display.

Fisheye I know you're already asleep, so this is for tomorrow lol - the spin outflow slows down the water significantly before it enters the tank. Allegedy. Haven't turned it on yet.
I hope you'll post lots of pics of the super #asthetic planted tank!

I looked up those spin outflow thingamajingies...um $125? Say it ain't so?

I beg you to post updates on the 200w inline heater on a 6 gallon and how cool you think a spin outflow is. Or isn't.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #21

Fishproblem

Well Known
Member
Messages
635
Fisheye said:
I hope you'll post lots of pics of the super #asthetic planted tank!

I looked up those spin outflow thingamajingies...um $125? Say it ain't so?

I beg you to post updates on the 200w inline heater on a 6 gallon and how cool you think a spin outflow is. Or isn't.
Oh, I will! I've already got a build thread going for it - planted it on friday and i should be setting up the filter and all by the end of this week. You can see it so far here: Fishproblem's FIRST High Tech Planted (6g) | 455011 | Freshwater Aquarium Builds

My WORD no. I got a my outflow from Jardli on amazon for like $25. I'm not surprised someone is selling them for that much though.

All updates will be on the thread i just linked. will DEFINITELY talk about the heater and the lily pipes.
 
  • #22

AmnScott

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,104
Can't hurt a tank to use a 300W in a 6 gallon. Just means it will be energized less, as it will heat up the tank quicker. I have a 100W in my 10G. Doesn't stay on very long when it's needed.
 
Top Bottom