300 or 400 W for a 75 gallon tank?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am wondering if it's better to have 300 or 400 watts of heating in a 75 gallon tank? I'll have 2 heaters, 1 on each side of the tank (either 2 x 150W or 2 x 200W). Also, does anyone know if All-Glass submersible heaters have in-built thermostats? That is, if the heaters turn off automatically once the water is at the correct temperature? I am looking at that heater on Big Al's Online right now, but it doesn't say anything about a thermostat.

Thanks for any help

P.S. How about combining one 150W heater with one 200W heater? The 200W heater would be placed by the filter's outflow tube, and the 150W heater would be at the other end of the tank.

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
5w per gallon is the general. i also have a 77 gallon tank that runs 2x200w 1 at each end. you need 375w for your tank you could go 150w +200w that would be just enough. IMO i would take the 2x200w option so that if one breaks it wont be too much on the other to pick the slack up. also most glass heaters do come with a thermostat controlled switch that will flick off when desired temp is reached. however just check the box or instructions. otherwise test it inside a soda bottle. and the check to see if it goes off they shoyuld have a little light that should be on when theheater is on. mine certainly do!!. also they may have to a two degree difference in what they say the temp is and what it actually is. so a manual termometer is sometimes quite handy to have as a back up to check they are running properly.

hope this has helped in some way
regards dazzler

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you Dazzler My only concern with two 200W heaters is that they would heat my tank too much. Could this happen?

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
if they both are thermostat controlled you should be fine. i have one at each end of my tank near they spray bars on my canister filters "put them near good circulation " is what the box said. 200w heaters would be more efficient than say 100w by this i mean it would heat the water quicker and there for not be switched on as long. be care ful that the heaters dont touch anything, plants, gravel, ornaments as they can warm these item up too and not neccessaryily the water. they should also have a minimum water mark on them somewhere so try not to go9 below that for fear of cracking the glass. mine are in my tank about an inch below the water level in the tank.

the brand i have is orca they were $30 australian each. im sure many people from the U.S can prescribe an equally good brand that you can pick up locally. Also e-bay is a great option here. i found some in australia that were $12 each but wasnt sure about the brand!!!

regards dazzler

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup or just set them for a few degrees lower, I have mine at 74 and it keeps my tank at 78. Good brands in the US are eheim if you can find them and all-glass aquarium

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By having the heaters at each end of the tank it allows them to provide a more even temp throughout the tank. I have 150 heaters in my 75 gallon and it stays an even 78F. If they have a way to set the temp then they will have a thermostat to turn the heater off when they reach the set temp. When ever I buy new heaters I use a floating thermometer to set teh temp. Set the heater wait 24 hrs and check the thermometer. see what the difference is. hope that helps.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Carol, that's how I do it too I have a floating thermometer and I read the temperature only from it. My current heater turns on and off by itself, and maintains a very stable and even temperature throughout the tank. My only problem is that it is a glass thermometer. I don't mind glass, as long as it is shock-proof glass, which I don't think mine is. Otherwise, I love my heater. So, I can safely use 2 x 150W right? (Plus, my heater does not automatically turn itself off once I take it out of water.)

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't you unplug it, your not supposed to operate heaters outside of the water.

O assuming carol does it, I'm sure you can too

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Atm, when I perform water changes, I always unplug my heater, and I don't take it out of water (I keep it submerged at all times).

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as long as my heaters are still under water when I do water changes no I don't unplug them. Some heaters are made to turn off when out of water but none of mine are.
From my experience 2 x 150W heaters are plenty.
atmmachine said:
O assuming carol does it, I'm sure you can too
Nope ATM just because I do it doesn't mean it will work(I've made my share of goofs )but I'm more than glad to share my experiences.
Carol

BristolBulldog

Valued Member
Reaction score
In the slim 4ft tank i have i have a single 300 watter. I have it set so the fluval 304 takes water in next to the heater, and pumps it out the other end. the heater, and the intake pipe are in the same corner.

I am thinking of adding a similar output pump into the loop after the filter, a spray bar for the output, and an inline 200 or 300 watt heater as well. that should get me good circulation, with minimal fuss in the tank?

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Most high quality glass heaters use special thermoshock resistant glass which means they won't explode. This type of glass is like Pyrex glass used for test tubes which can be heated and dipped in water without exploding. However I think it's still safer to have a heater automatically shutoff if taken out of the water. This prevents burns etc. if you accidentally touch it. It also prevents overheating if the water level gets too low from evaporation.

When in doubt contact the manufacturer to make sure the heater has a built-in out-of-water autoshutoff. A thermostat is NOT an out-of-water autoshutoff.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The All Glass heater was the first heater I owned and it was a good heater and I believe is Lifetime warrantied but I went with the Stealth heaters when they came out as I was leary of the glass. Yes they do have a thermostat and will shut off when the temperature is reached (+/- 1 degree according to their literature.)

Rose

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes the Steath heaters have out-of-water autoshutoff safety too which is entirely different from its thermostat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom