300 Gallon Stocking

1. P

Pimpnyou204 Initiate Member

Ok, so a 300+ tank 108 x 24 x 30 this is my stocking list with a medium planted tank.

100-200 Runny nose tetra

8 Nerite snail

20 Amano shrimp

8 Kuhli loach

8 False Julii Cory cat

2 Bristlenose pleco (bushy)

8 Cherry barb

1 German blue ram

1 Electric blue ram

1 Bolivian ram

1 Angel ram

1 German gold ram

1 Electric blue balloon ram

1 Kribensis cichlid

1 Julidochromis marlieri

1 Dwarf cockatoo cichlid

3 Badis

I know there is a few cichlids in there but from understanding the rams should be ok but as far as all these different species cohabitating together would it work out ok. If not what would you remove or add more numbers to or decrease. And if it would be ok to add more rams like 2 or 3 of each.

2. tfreema

tfreema Well Known Member Member

That is one big tank! Cannot wait to see it set up and pictures posted.

What is an Angel ram? Or did you mean angelfish? What temperature are you keeping the tank? Cherry barbs and bolivian rams need cooler temps while the other rams need higher temps.

You won't see much of your kuhli loaches. They are big hiders. As long as you plan with different territories in a tank that size, you can definitely get away with having several different rams and cichlids you listed. You would need to keep an eye on them and be prepared to remove some if issues arise. Most of them will hang out at the bottom soooooo.......

I would do a couple large schools of tetras or consider rainbows. A big bunch of Bosemani would be awesome in a tank that size. 100 - 200 rummynose sounds awesome. That would be quite a sight.

3. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdams Member Member

An Angel Ram looks a lot like the German Blue Ram in terms of color but has more of a rounded angelfish shape. They're really pretty. Very similar to the Balloon Ram

4. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I would not do any shortened body fish as they will be at a disadvantage compared the fish that do not have a spine deformity bred into them. Bolivians need cooler water, I would scrap the cherry barbs and get more kuhlis - larger amounts of kuhli will make them more comfortable and they won't be hiding. I would go with a lighter color morph of bristlenose as darker color morphs hide more.
    The marlieri may get aggressive once it sets up a territory, so watch out for that.

5. fish time

fish time Well Known Member Member

6. OP
    OP
    P

Would 2 groups of schooling fish be ok? 100 cardinal 100 rummy? I feel like 2 schools it would be distracting and they would collide and disrupt the flow of it.

I was afraid of adding more khuli bcuz there is a lot of bottom feeders already and that may cause some competition for food even if they are peaceful.

My intent is keep it at 79 80. With the shrimp and cichlids I know it will be a battle to find the happy medium but I think that would be a decent start.

7. tfreema

In a 300 gallon tank, 2 very large schools would definitely be ok. You could even go more and get some great activity in your mid to upper level. It just depends on your preference on the different schools buzzing around. If you like the idea of one great big school, go for that.

Your shrimp will be snacks for the cichlids and kribensis I am afraid. And yeah, your kuhli's will potentially be out-competed at whatever number you put in there. I know others have had different results, but I put 13 kuhlis in a 40b and I see my black ones, but not so much on the pretty banded ones except at feeding time. If you have a lot of other bottom feeders zipping around, they will be less likely to come out. Seriously, unless you just love kuhli's, I would do larger shoal of cories or leave the cories off and just do more kuhli's.

At 79-80, remove the bolivians, cherry barbs, and I am not familiar with the last 3 on your list so just check their temp needs.

8. OP
    OP
    P

I’m down for 2 schooling fish just wasn’t sure how they would look with another if they constantly ran across each other and if I didn’t like the 2 school how much a pain it would be to remove one lol cardinal and tummy it most likely will be 100 of each?

I’m cool with removing the Bolivians they are probably the ugliest of the ones listed I am also not familiar with the last 3 either but I saw the Badis in a YouTube video and they looked interesting. Maybe I’ll pick one or 2 of those at a later point. And much the same with the cockatoo cichlid the marlieri are at my lfs and they looked neat but look similar to a loach.

What would you recommend that may be a little more compatible if you were going to change the khuli for something. I don’t have a particular preference for the khuli or Cory. I mainly just wanted a vast difference in species in there. As opposed to a predator or 1 species tank. But I figured a 10 footer would be enough space for a small amount that they should be able to all locate safety and food.

If the barb was removed what other calm fish would you add to the mix? Gourami?

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hello! Quite a big tank, but you are actually looking at a 336 gallon :)

10. OP
    OP
    P

Yea but what’s another 36 gallons on top of 300 lol

11. tfreema

@TexasDomer, here is a fun size tank to stock. I don’t want to steer OP wrong so calling on the expert.

12. OP
    OP
    P

Any other recommendations?

13. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have so many options.

I'd definitely leave out the Julidochromis - not a good idea to mix the more aggressive rift lake cichlids with South American cichlids.

I'd leave out the false julii cories, BN pleco, and Bolivian ram due to temp incompatibilities with the German rams.

What species of Badis did you want? Some might not compete well in this tank.

14. OP
    OP
    P

The julidochromis I thought to add last bcuz I know it will probably be the most aggressive if I even did. But since I have the loaches that look kind of similar I can pass on the aggression.

The pleco and false Julli both have the same water temp. Most of them like the mid 70 range so it seems I may be able to actually keep me water slightly cooler. Maybe the 78 range. I’m used to African cichlids that like the lower 80s. But you really think the water temps would effect them that much? If so can you something else of the species I have that I could add to the mix. Or maybe even something completely different?

15. TexasDomer

78 F is a little high for those guys, and a little low for the GBR. They do seem to do better above 79 F, and they can be so sensitive, so I wouldn't risk the lower temps.

Yes, water temps do make a difference - keeping fish at the extreme ends of their range or outside of their range can shorten their lifespan and make them more susceptible to diseases :(

You could do something like this though?

100x Rummynose tetra
    100x Cardinal tetra
    8 Nerite snail
    20 Amano shrimp (adult angels may or may not harass these guys)
    30x Kuhlis loaches (striped, not black for temperature compatibility
    30x Sterbai, bronze, or emerald cories (C. sterbai, C. aeneus, or C. splendens - these are all temp compatible)
    1-2x Pleco (lots of temperature and size compatible options here - I'd browse Planet Catfish for some suitable species
    2-5x Blue rams (mix of German, electric blue, gold - I would skip the angel ram as they're deformed and prone to health issues - you don't want to encourage the breeding of deformed fish)
    2-5x Cockatoo Apisto

16. OP
    OP
    P

Thats odd planet catfish has the fish in reverse than liveaquaria.com. The fish i listed has the higher temp on liveaquaria but planet catfish has it lower and the ones you listed as higher. Could i split them and do 15 splenden and 15 sterbai?

17. TexasDomer

That's because LiveAquaria is far from a reputable site for info, but Planet Catfish is very reputable :) Yes, your tank is large enough that you could do two schools instead of one.