300 Gallon Setup And Stocking Questions

1. P

Pimpnyou204 Initiate Member

Ok so I am getting a 330 gallon tank sized 108 x 24 x 30 tall. I picked up a 225 gallon divided acrylic tank sized 96 x 18 x 24. Currently the sump tank is divided into 3 categories I plan to place a few more and divide it as such.

Drains with a 200 micron sock heading into a aqua mesh coarse filter and then into some filter pad. It will lead under the divided and hit about 8 bags of SeaChem matrix and 4 bags of some fluval bio media I can not remember the name of. Going over the divider it will be in the middle and hit my 70 gallon section filled with 4 cubic feet of k1 mini with 5 air stones and a alita 60 air pump. It will then flow out and this section will most likely just be nothing unless someone can come up with something to add outside just a section for pumps heaters and maybe a carbon reactor. Maybe a big plant to help with nitrates if they seem to be out of control later.

I will have the tank in my living room on a wall that is butt up against the garage and the sump will be located in that garage. Currently I have for a set up besides the sump items. 2 apex cor 20 pumps, an apex system, blue led strand for night lights, 2 Evo quad 6700k lights. 2 800 way heaters. There will be 2 1” returns and 2 1.5” drains. I have 2 tunze 6105 and 6095 powerhead. 1 in each side and the 6095 in the back to flow back there and maybe adding a second back there to help spread if need be.

As far as plants I’d like to do some basic forgiving plants. I’d like to try and avoid co2 I think it will become a hassle to keep it accurate with so much water. So any recommendations on what you would suggest with what items I have currently would be nice.

As far as stocking.... I’d like the most advice with this. I have a 120 gallon tank that had about 30 cichlids in it and I returned some to a fish store because they were just breeding like crazy. And about a month after that the 120 sprung a leak and before I could stop the water and clean up the mess I neglected the fish too long and lost a few and then I set the sump outside and I think the poor water conditions finished most of the rest off. So currently I have 1 mbuna and 2 Malawi peacocks.

Ive obviously considered keeping maybe 30-50 cichlids in the tank but feel the fighting and a ton of the same fish may become boring to see. I’ve thought about a freshwater ray and keep it with some cichlids and Pleco or something until it gets to a bigger size, any thoughts or experiences with these guys? I’ve only ever seen them mostly as a pair separate. I’ve thought of doing a mild planted tank with a few cichlids maybe 10 and just a bunch of random things like snails, Plecos, gouramis, ottos, cats and such to give a more natural mixture of fish in such a large aquarium.

Any thoughts and opinions would help up on what you would change or advice to be careful with.

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

HOLY GUACAMOLE.

If it were me, I'd do a massive planted community tank. IMO that's way more interesting than a couple large fish (rays, ect) You are very lucky to have such a large tank to work with and I will definitely be following along.

3. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Do a HUGE school of whatever fish (40+).

4. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Personally, African cichlids would be amazing in there. They come in a variety of colors and patterns, and certainly wouldn't be boring to look at if you do it right. Your tank isn't wide enough for a ray. If you put 50 cichlids in there, I wouldn't expect to see constant fighting. Keeping them in large groups actually prevents aggression.

5. Bry

Bry Member Member

I personally would do a planted tank with either Discus or Angelfish. I like snails for keeping the tank clean, in my experience plecos are just freeloaders who do nothing but poop.
    As for plant recommendations: Hornwort is stupid easy to have. Anachris Eloea(?) is really easy and keeps Nitrates down. Water Sprite and Wisteria are pretty.

6. OP
    OP
    P

I think they are the best looking freshwater fish imo. However I think after months like I had the 20 cichlids it got kind of old seeing the same 20 type of fish swimming around running into each other and then running into another and pushed around. I do agree, when I had about 4 in the tank it was blatantly obvious bullying and I read so I grabbed 4 more and the bullying drastically subsided and as they breed it became less and less because there was just too many to fight off.

Not been a fan of hornwort, every time I touch it, it falls to pieces and makes a mess. I have had success with valeris(?) in the past with subpar substrate. Angelfish don’t move anywhere near enough for me. Discus I do like. However my water is naturally 7.5ish from the tap so it just became a no brained for me as far as ease of care. I was also reading that discus care is just crazy with water changes to keep parameters in check especially for breeding purposes. I also had a turtle in the tank with the cichlids so I needed a tough fish that wouldn’t go belly up when the turtle came floating by. Plecos I do agree as they age they become extraordinary boring and lazy and just sit in a hiding spot and poop every where but their sale value also skyrockets at that point too so that’s nice for selling lol

7. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

8. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

You technically can keep discus in 7.5 pH since they've been domestically bred so long, but I totally get where you're coming from with the care level. I remember talking to someone with discus and they were bragging that they could keep them alive by doing only an 80% water change every 3 days...
    Massive goldfish tank, lol? Thousands upon thousands of endlers?

9. OP
    OP
    P

Exactly, a recommended mandatory 50% water change for about 400 gallons of water in total is a major turn off lol. The Cichlid tank is obviously the easiest to deal with their is a large variety so a good mixture is pretty easy. Breeding I doubt would be easy unless I separate though. The community tank that’s medium planted would be really cool to kind of see the entire “ecosystem” with a multitude of fish. But it seems I’m really limited to smaller fish that school and less free swimming angelfish sorts if I go this route.

10. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Yeah I have no idea how those discus keepers do it. I'll be going out to my LFS this weekend and they always have good ideas, I may just ask some questions about a theoretical 300 gallon tank, lol

11. alauruin

alauruin Member Member

Personally, if I could have a tank that big, I would use it to get as many living things into it as I possibly could... ;) which means make it the ultimate huge "nano" tank!

- 100x small tetras like neons, embers, royal blues, etc.
    - 100x pygmy cories
    - 10-15x dwarf cichlids (Apistos, Rams)
    - 5-10x small pleco, maybe one of the rarer bristlenoses... or pitbull pleco!
    - bunches of shrimps and snails

You get the idea. :)

12. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

A ghost knife! I love those fish. I don't have an aquarium big enough to house one, but they are so beautiful. I think a big tank deserves some big fish.

13. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

maybe frontosa? like a colony of 10? They live forever and very beautiful. Whenever the fish eventually pass away in my biggest tank, I'll definitely have some one day.

14. Milliemae124

Milliemae124 Member Member

I absolutely love the look of Nano fish in a large tank. It looks like a little underwater city :p

15. OP
    OP
    P

You think a small group of frontosa a smaller knife fish and other smaller fish would get along together in a medium planted tank would get along? Frontosa are less aggressive than the current South African Malawi correct?

16. OP
    OP
    P

This was actually my thoughts of the community tank just a bunch of different fish. But the thoughts of having a big tank it’s like almost one of those be different and get something big not many others can have you know! But I know lack of width really limits that but it’s going by a front door so I can’t make it any wider than but with the 10 foot length I think will make it an amazing wrap around kind of view.

17. devin s.

devin s. Member Member

a single betta is all you need

18. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

I would do this.
    INFINITE Shrimp
    *100 Kuhli Loaches
    *20 Female Betta.S

19. OP
    OP
    P

So here is a list I came up with after leaving the fish store. Obviously there are more options and other options within the selections I’ve chosen. Any advice what may not work at all or may or may not be a good idea to work.

Butterfly loach

Dojo loach

Clown Pleco

Snowball Pleco

Crawfish

Lobster

Shubunkin

Lyretail molly

Bala shark

Lam brichardi

Kribensis cichlid

Frontosa

Red tail cat

Red tail cat

Julidochromis marlieri

20. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Don't do crawfish or lobsters with fish. Especially if you want bottom dweller fish. They'll kill fish and be a pain to feed.