300 Gallon:Beginnings and Ideas | Page 2

Discussion in 'ATP' started by ATP, Feb 23, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    ATP

ATPWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    yup. I prefer it being wider than 18". Normal 125 is 6'x18"x22",but 18" is a little narrow for good rockwork.

2. Atavar

AtavarValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Bracing up from a crawl space is not that difficult if you can get to it at all .. you can go the low tech route and use cinder blocks and wedges, or you can do it right and get sidewalk blocks and screw jacks from your local lumber yard for not much money at all.. after all you are just adding support, not building a foundation.

A tank sounds like a lot of weight, but what you are talking about will be less than 3500 pounds. If you put heavy bracing all around the bottom of the stand you will be spreading that over 25 square feet, so it's only about 140 pounds per square foot. That's less of a load than either you or your refrigerator put on the floor. A couple of screw jacks or block pillars five feet apart centered under the aquarium would be all you need at most.

3. OP
    OP
    ATP

ATPWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The crawl space is like 2ft high...and some places are very hard if not possible to go there because of all the vents etc. thats why I didn't go for it.

4. Atavar

AtavarValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    I don't know.. if you can get to the spot under the aquarium I think it would be worth one day of torture to get under there and brace it up for the reward of having a magnificent tank like that.

You can use an old miners trick and crawl in on your back dragging nothing but a loop of rope long enough to reach. Then have a helper tie what you need to the rope and you can pull it to you. If you use a loop of rope then you and the helper will always have the rope within reach.

If you wanted to get really extreme about it the aquarium is probably never going to move again, so you *could* cut a trap door in the floor under the aquarium and work through that, then patch it in when the tomming is in place.

While you are at it you could run a separate electric, a drain and a water supply up in to the stand. Think of how jealous all your aquarist buddy's would be.. lol

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thanks for keeping us updated ATP.
    Ken