300 gallon aquarium stand

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by ThaiT, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ThaiTValued MemberMember

Hey fishlore.

I was planning on building a 300 gallon aquarium stand. The dimensions i am working with are 72X36X27 (300 gallon DD).
    I have been looking at a ton of plans before i start building it. I came across this build( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ ) on youtube and was wondering if anyone has tried it on a 300gallon tank before or attempted a large stand of this size.

2. uncfanValued MemberMember

That's basically the same design idea I used for the stand I built for my 40B. I added extra vertical supports doubled up like the corners. Also a extra top support going front to back . For a 300 gal at about 3000 lbs (give or take) I would use 2x6 not 2x4 lumber and good deck style screws and add extra supports. Can never have to many, Good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    T

ThaiTValued MemberMember

i was considering using 2x6's for the vertical supports, but using 2x4's on the rest.

4. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

I'd double up the 2x4's for the 72" length, and add a center leg. You don't want to risk any bowing of that length, doubled up lumber is less likely to warp.

The largest I've ever built is a 3'x10' platform over a couple 150 gallon tubs. It holds five 40b's & three 20h's, 260 gallons total that I needed sturdy enough to work beneath without it collapsing. It also needed to be sturdy enough to support a good part of my 220 pound weight while working those tanks. I went with a 2x6 perimeter, 2x4 stringers every 18", and six 4x4's for legs, the back three run up to the ceiling joists above & lag bolted in.

5. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

I would use 4x4 for the 4 corner legs and 2x4 for 2 middle legs, 2x6 for the frame and 2x4 for the surface it sits on. Do you want the tank stand to be flat or inset? Doing it inset would be as easy as using some 1x4 trim around your base frame. Then use some decent looking plywood (not chipboard) for the walls and paint or stain it if you desire.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice