30 Long Conversation

losthero

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on converting my standard 30 long planted tank.

I currently have a smart ato, prime HD and some dry rock. Do you think I will need to run another prime? Also could I get away with a aqua clear filter and a hang on the back skimmer?

Thank you.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe max light spread for the Prime HD is about 24" and this is if you hang it at max height, meaning, your overall light level will be lower due to the distance from the surface which gives you the max spread. So, yes, another light is recommended and definitely necessary for a 30L SPS dominated reef tank.

As for the HOB... sure, you can use it and I'd recommend growing chaeto in the AC if it's big enough to modify slightly. On a 20L mixed reef, I run an AC70 modified with baffles/chambers, allowing that one HOB to handle mechanical, bio, and chemical filtration as well as acting as a mini refugium.

losthero

Valued Member
Reaction score
I believe max light spread for the Prime HD is about 24" and this is if you hang it at max height, meaning, your overall light level will be lower due to the distance from the surface which gives you the max spread. So, yes, another light is recommended and definitely necessary for a 30L SPS dominated reef tank.

As for the HOB... sure, you can use it and I'd recommend growing chaeto in the AC if it's big enough to modify slightly. On a 20L mixed reef, I run an AC70 modified with baffles/chambers, allowing that one HOB to handle mechanical, bio, and chemical filtration as well as acting as a mini refugium.
That’s exactly what I wanted to with my aqua clear. HD or regular prime?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never owned a Prime, HD or not, so cannot speak to the particulars between the two. What I can say is, when it comes to lighting, always get the best your budget allows. Also, my buddies with the HD's love them and their tanks look fabulous so that's what I'd recommend.;)

Top Bottom