30 Gallon With Goldfish - Need A Lot Of Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Moe P, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Moe P

Moe P New Member Member

Hi,
    I was given a 30 gallon tank complete with 7 rather large goldfish. The tank has no gravel and only a couple of plastic plants. The tank is filthy! I am not sure if the water is actually cloudy or the glass is just that dirty and the inside of the tank has green algae growing up the side.
    First I need to clean the tank! Can I ditch all of the water and start over or do I need to use some of it and add more once the tank is cleaned?
    My wife and I are completely new to this.

thanks

2. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Do you know what kind of goldfish they are? Are you prepared to a) rehome some of them, b) get a vastly larger tank, and/or c) get - and maintain - additional tanks and spread the fish out?
    I ask these specific questions because 7 goldfish in a 30gal is simply not sustainable. Can you be more specific about their size? Maybe share a pic? All goldfish are not created equal, and some of the 'fancy' types don't grow as large is the pond/feeder types.
    Hopefully, this will be a great discussion and education, but finding a solution/process that works for YOU is key.
    Do you have a water testing kit, or test strips?

3. OP
    OP
    Moe P

Moe P New Member Member

Thanks for the reply. The fish are about 4 inches long, not sure what type they are. At this point I do not want to get into multiple tanks. I have been told some of them are around 10 yrs old, and no, no water testing kit or test strips. Not a great picture.

Attached Files:

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You see how it’s milky white? The filter does this because is can’t handle the load of waste that is coming from the gold fish. When the filter isn’t strong enough the tank generally will look cloudy.

Looks like you have a mix of common and fantail Goldie’s. If I were you I would actually see about calling a local fish store, not a chain store and see about getting credit for these fish.

You could clean this tank but if you clean too much you could risk killing them. Don’t clean the filter as that houses your entire system. Before you replace water make sure you get a conditioner such as Prime or API Stress coat.

5. Caleb Smith

Caleb Smith Valued Member Member

Unfortunately, all of those goldfish require either very large tanks or a pond. That tank isnt even large enough for one. I would try to rehome them either to a friend with a pond or to your LFS

6. OP
    OP
    Moe P

Moe P New Member Member

We did get a bottle of API Stress Zyme and Accu-Clear. Right in the immediate area the only places are the chain stores as far as aquariums are concerned.

There are also 2 filters running.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  7. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

You actually have Comets and Commons. No fantails that I see. The longer tails with the deeper V in it are your Comets. The shorter tails are your Commons. Unfortunately, both the comets and commons can grow up to 1.5 feet in length. If some are 10 years old, then they are stunted. Some say when stunted, the outside stops growing but the inside continues to grow and the fish is in pain until death. Others say everything stops growing. You may be living proof of the latter belief as 10 year old fish would certainly have died by now if internally they had continue to grow. Either way, they will be big poop machines and you will have to do water changes every couple of days to keep clean water and your nitrogen cycle good. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not, please read up on it. You will have to do a "fish in" cycle at this point. If you don't get the cycle going, the fish will pay the price. We will be happy to assist you in getting the cycle going. However, I suggest you read on it first to get a handle on what we will be talking about. Stunted or not, 7 fish that size are too many for a 30 gallon tank. Choose a couple to enjoy and find homes for the others or consider a much larger, 75 - 100G tank for all of them. I am a goldfish lover and will help anyway I can. I just put 3 comets, commons, and shubunkins in a pond and they have grown so much in 2 months.

8. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Wow. That picture = 1K words. That's a lot of fish in a tight place.
    So, are you looking for advice on how to manage those 7 fish in the tank you have, or are you open to making changes? Or do you want to keep the fish in the tank, but are open to being convinced to go a different way?
    I think it's important to get an answer to this early on, because I think almost everyone here is going to recommend fewer fish and/or a larger tank. I'm not trying to being pushy, or rude, but just trying to head off comments that you won't consider, if any.
    When folks write something they think might offend someone, but that's not their intent, they always put a smiley face, like that will make everything better.
    :)

9. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi Moe, I have to agree with all the other advice given so far, way too much fish in way to small a tank. I applaud you for taking them on & helping them but you couldn't do any better than to listen to @Goldiemom above, she knows what she's talking about.

10. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

Considering their environment, it's amazing that they appear so healthy.
    They appear to have adapted fairly well to less than ideal living conditions.

I suggest rehoming them.
    You might consider running an ad on craigslist and perhaps you will find someone who has a nice pond.
    It's worth a try.

11. OP
    OP
    Moe P

Moe P New Member Member

Thank you to everyone that replied.
    I am going to go over this with my wife when she gets home. To be honest, she has said the same thing......WE NEED A BIGGER TANK!!! lol

12. Lissi Kat

Lissi Kat Valued Member Member

Wow that's quite something you've got on your hands! I've got a 35 gallon with 4 fancy goldfish. I have 2 over sized canister filters running on it. I do 50% water changes 1 to 2 times a week more when I have the time. I also have quite a few plants in there's to help with the bio load with my set up I can keep it as a healthy environment for them.id consider my set up very much pushing it!but common goldies get much much bigger and are far faster swimmers and ideally belong in a pond. I think your best bet would be to find someone who can give them the pond life,pond season is coming around so I'm sure you won't have to try too hard. You could then put fish in the tank that would be far less maintenance . Best of luck woth it anyway

13. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

All seven of those fish can't stay in a bigger tank, unless you mean a 750-1000g tank somehow. I would rehome and get a single fancy goldie and some loaches and/or danios.

14. Goldiemom

Don't forget the nitrogen cycle or they WILL die. Good luck and we are here for you. Oh, until you get the cycle going, please pick up a bottle of Seachem PRIME tonight and start dosing with that. It will protect the fist from the harm of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrogen poisoning until the cycle kicks in. In fact, while you're at the fish store, also pick up a bottle of Tetra Safe Start +. You will need that to start your cycle going. Don't get overwhelmed, we are here every step of the way. We all learned about this in the same manner.

No Danios...the goldfish will eat them. Goldfish need to stay with goldfish...you can get a bristlenose pleco but let's get the tank cycled first...whichever tank you decide on. If you know for a fact that some of those fish are 10 years and old and stunted, you can probably put 3 in a 55G tank. Definately not 6 or 7.

Fancy goldfish are so much fun to watch...you can get a black moor, telescope, ryunkin, etc. Here's a pic of some of my fancies...they are full of personality.

15. Lissi Kat

I think they may be my favourire fish personalities ever! They're like water puppies! My orange oranda and my black moor will come and hang out on or near my hands when I'm working in the tank and they get super excited when they see you come up to them...haha probably just hoping for a snack but I just adore them I could watch them forever! 20180425_203424.jpg 20180425_203524.jpg

16. Goldiemom

Me too. My come to the side of the tank when I'm watching T.V. and just sit with me.

Beautiful Oranda and Moor, by the way.

I was just thinking, if the media in that filter has been in there for some time, then you probably have a cycled tank. That would be good even if you buy a larger tank because you can move the cycled media in with a larger filter if you buy one. That will keep the cycle going. Probably doesn't make any sense at this point, but if you didn't wash the filter out in chlorinated water or let it dry out, and it is still dirty from the previous owner, you may be cycled. Only way to know is to buy an API Freshwater Test Kit from your fish store. I know I keep telling you to buy things but it is a must when you first start with fish. Did the previous owners have any of these supplies that they sent with you by chance? For now, take a sample of tank water to your pet store and they will test it for you. You don't want to have any ammonia or nitrites in it and very low nitrates. Again, don't get over whelmed. A year ago I would have thought you were speaking a foriegn language to me when it comes to nitrogen cycles.

17. Lissi Kat

That's so cute! I think they recognise their owners cos they don't behave that way with everyone!

Thanks so much! The moor actually only has 1 eye but that's another story. I'd live to see a picture of yours

18. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

OK every one. Let's slow down. I know we all want to help but if these fish have been living in these conditions for most of their life, changes should be made slowly. Going from what we consider filthy conditions to pristine water too quickly could very well kill them.

It would surprise me to find that this tank isn't already cycled unless the filters were cleaned with something that killed the bacteria that is bound to be on them,.

To the OP, Please take things slow with these guys. We can talk you through what we hope will help but in my humble opinion changes need to be done slowly.

19. OP
    OP
    Moe P

Moe P New Member Member

That's what my wife is thinking. I think we are going to see about a larger tank and split them up into the two tanks. We are thinking about a 100 gallon tank

20. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

That sounds like a very good plan and if you have questions you have come to the right place. Just ask away :)
    oops, I never did answer your original question :(
    I wouldn't do a huge water change all at once. This is the water these fish are use to. Changing too much of it all at once may be too much for them. I would slowly clean it over the next couple of weeks. Maybe remove no more than 15% of the water each time. Each time you do a small water change you can clean some of the glass.

I think they should be slowly acclimated to clean fresh water. If some of them are in fact 10 years old it could be they've lived in these conditions for a while and have acclimated to not so perfect conditions. I guess it is also possible that their living conditions haven't been this bad for any length of time but if you can't find out for sure then slow changes will be the safest for them.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice