30 Gallon Tank Turned Green In 2days

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by remy113, Apr 9, 2018.

1. remy113

remy113Valued MemberMember

Hi guys new to the forum and kinda new to the aquarium world. I have 30 gallon tank that’s heated to 72 degree. We have had the tank set up for a few months now with a couple common goldfish and 2 sucker fish to help control algae (think they are plecos). We have to treat our water for calorie so we add aqua safe. So in the last few days we had our amonia spike really high(I have test strips to test everything) after a 50% water change. We did the change because we had to move the tank to paint . We got the amonia under control by doing a complete change and clean. So we added our aqua safe and added safe start to help the aquarium get going again. Well it been 2 weeks since that and now all of a sudden the last few days our tank water has turned green from floating algae. How do I get my water clear and stay clear? Also how often do you guys do water changes and filter changes ? I’m curious And thanks in advance guys sorry I’m new to this I’ll post pics of the tank

Attached Files:

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Was the tank by a window before? That's certainly helping the algae thrive, if not causing the algae.

3. OP
    OP
    remy113

We have a tank in a corner that has window on each side but they don’t get direct sun light. Our house doesn’t have a spot to put it that doesn’t have a window pouring tons of light in . Old hous with small rooms big windows -_-

4. appcontrol

appcontrolWell Known MemberMember

How long do you have lights on?

5. OP
    OP
    remy113

I was turning the tank light on when I get up at 630am and off at about 7pm but I’m gonna start waiting for my wife to turn them on when she gets up later

6. appcontrol

That is 12+ hours of light and i think with some window light is too much. You could do this: turn off your lights for two days, cover tank, no feeding, no looking. Fish will be fine without food for two days. After that remove alge with hand, scratch, sponge etc. and do water change. After that put your lights for 8 hours on daily after some time you can increase lighting but slowly for 30 minutes over some period. And i wouldn't have them on for more than 9-10 hours max (my lights are on for 8.30 hours daily, and no algae problems).

And i would suggest buying mechanical power timer it is cheap like 3-5 euros , easy to set up , and you will have constant light period.

Plus some real plants would help with algae problem, and to make your fish happier plus will make your tank more stable, you can use moss, java fern, anubias, bucephalandra, ceratophyllaceae all those plants dont need to be put in ground, just tie them to some rocks, wood etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    remy113

We don’t have any on the walls of the tank just water is green

8. appcontrol

Then skip removing with sponge part.

9. OP
    OP
    remy113

we don’t have anywhere to put the tank that isn’t in sunlight from a window.

10. appcontrol

Read again my upper post. Two days cover tank with something so no light comes in it. After that water change. After that buy timer and set it on lights to work only 8 hours per day, lets say from 12.00 to 20.00 thats it. If that doesn't help contact forum again there are still some ways to deal with it but this is easyest, cheapest and should work.

It will not miraculously dissappear but trough the week max two it should be ok. And leave light to work on 8 hours per day.

11. 123Valued MemberMember

D
    Don't goldfish eat plants?

I would suggest to put a background foil on the small sides of the tank through which most of the sun light gets in :) It looks nice on my tank, and also fishes seem to be happier to have bit more cover/hiding space from me :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2018
  12. appcontrol

Yes there os definitely possibility that they will. But java fern, anubias barteri, amazon sword, are more fatter plants so they will probably survive. They are recommended to put with them because of it. But its try and miss situation with them.
    But they definitely dont live in parts where you cant find any kind of plants.

Good idea

13. OP
    OP
    remy113

I had a friend also suggest trumpet snail to help keep control what are your thoughts on those ? I guess that’s how the mange it

14. appcontrol

I don't know, i have few neritas in my tank. But in any situation its better to deal with reason why it happens then with symptoms, that's my opinion.

15. leftswerve

leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

Are you sure the cloud is green? A big water change on an uncycled cleaned aquarium can have just plain ol cloudy water from a bacterial bloom. The green tint cold be from the glass itself.

16. 123Valued MemberMember

A good trick to be sure is to put a cup of the water into some white bowl. My bucket for water changes is white so I easily notice when ti start turning green-ish :)

17. OP
    OP
    remy113

In my first post I linked pictures to my tank in person it looks green.

I linked a pic to this reply the picture is 3 hrs ago

Attached Files:

18. Carbeo

CarbeoWell Known MemberMember

Your only filter is that whisper in-tank? Even with the water changes, it might be tough to keep the tank cycle and prevent blooms of algae, bacteria, ect if the filter is a single whisper large or xl pad. All this talk of doing 3 day black outs is great but unless there is a canister filter hiding in that stand, I think a larger volume of filter media would do you a great deal of help for this and avert future frustration.

19. Alex6455

Alex6455Valued MemberMember

I would do a blackout and follow the procedure that others stated, and then run the lights for about 7-8 hours a day, max.Also, if there is light coming into the tank from the window, just put a piece of cardboard on the side of the tank to block the light.

20. Carbeo

CarbeoWell Known MemberMember

Maintain adequate amounts of beneficial bacteria, moderate feeding and short light periods. I suspect there is some white bacterial bloom in with that algae. Avoid binge-cleaning where everything is cleaned at once. Alternate cleaning one side of gravel at a time or the filter. Keep the old filter pad behind new ones to seed them with bactetia. Larger filters allow a rotation of changing different pads instead of removing all your bacteria on one pad and have biological media that gets rinsed in tank water but not disposed of.
    I clean smaller tanks with buckets and larger tanks with a python hose that hooks up to the sink. Weekly water changes of 20 to 75 percent, depending on the tank. I rinse media in hang-on filters or sponges every other week and replace polishing pads. I rinse media in canister filters every few months and replace their polishing pads or fine sponges.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice