30 gallon tank stocking ideas involving Cichilids

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jon25, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Jon25

Jon25 Valued Member Member

I am getting a new 30 gallon tank and was wondering about what kind of stocking would be good that involved some cichilids

2. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

Best bet with a 30 gallon is to get a Dwarf Cichlid. Any African will outgrow it. In my 29 I have 2 males apistogrammas but that's only possible because it's heavy planted. Otherwise a pair (1m 1f) would be best in a 30. Blue Rams, Gold Rams, Bolivian Rams, Apistos most Dwarf Cichlids would work.

Don't add any of these fish in the first 3-6 months though. Wait until your tank is extremely stable, most Dwarf Cichlids are very sensitive. Start with some other type of fish that will go with your Cichlid, maybe a school (I have Cherry Barbs and Lemon Tetras with my Apistos) or most peaceful community fish will do well with them.

3. OP
    OP
    Jon25

Jon25 Valued Member Member

Thanks, I'm now considering a pair of rams along with school of tiger barbs.

4. RandomZoid

Careful with the Tiger Barbs, I bought 6 beautiful Green Tiger Barbs (same species just color morph). They were nipping even at a young age and made it so none of my fish ever came out. They didn't kill anything but every fish hiding meant they were stressed and my tank looked empty. They nipped at my Lemon Tetras and Dwarf Gouramis. I didn't yet have the Apistos, I traded them in to get the Apistos. They can be ok but get at least 6. Ideal would maybe be 10-12 as the only schooling fish in the tank. Then they should leave any other fish alone (your ram pair).

I heard Bolivian are the easiest to care for and the least sensitive to parameters changing or inconsistent lighting. I've never had any Bolivians but my first Dwarf Cichlid a pair of Gold Rams but they both died after a month. My test reading were always good. <.25 - 0 - <20. This was before my tank was well planted though and on a lighting schedule.

5. m

melovefish Valued Member Member

one of best tanks was 30 gallon tall i had 2 bloody parrots 2 balla sharks an oscar and a bacasumis and i had some pics but i cant get them but the tank looked great and my oscar got 12inches big! my ballas were like 4-5

6. RandomZoid

Don't put this big of a fish into such a small tank. It's not only cruel but they will die and probably cost some money. I'm assuming, melovefish, that most or all of these were re-homed by the time they got that big?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice