30 Gallon Tank Stocking (For the 50th Time, Sorry)

Live Love Aquatic Life

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I go through so many stocking ideas every day for my 30 Gallon, it's pretty overwhelming. So, yet again, I am here to see if you guys approve of such a plan.

So, these are the types of fish that I want. Quantities of each can be further suggested: Giant Danios, Harlequin Rasboras, Dwarf Gouarmis and Platies. IF anything could go in there additionally, suggestions for that are welcome too.

nedpatrick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are the dimensions of the tank. Harlequins should be in schools of above 6. Only keep a single dg in one tank to prevent fighting. Only get male platies to prevent overpopulation. I don't think that giant danios will work they require long tanks due to their size.

Live Love Aquatic Life

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, thanks. I think I'm going to drop the DG, due to them being very susceptible to dwarf gourami iridovirus, and am debating if I want to follow through with the Harlequins as they can get a bit sensitive to water parameters and I want something really hardy. In fact, a whole new thought for stocking has sprung. I think I want to create a female betta sorority.

I have a few questions that will determine whether I want to do this. Is it simple to set up, or does it require a very experienced fishkeeper? What types of things are required? Can any other fish go in with the bettas? How many bettas would we be looking at? Sorry for all of the questions, I want to know if this is truly something I want to follow through with, before buying it on impulse.

rubysword

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You will need a lot of plants/decor, preferable live, to break up the line of sight and give them hiding spots. You would be looking at around 7-8 girls. You would need to keep your eye on it, especially in the first couple weeks, to separate any that are being picked on too much, and you would need a backup plan in case it doesn't work(i.e. the ability to rehome/return them). aggression will definitely be their especially in the first couple of days/weeks, as they are establishing "who's boss." You will prob. be seeing some torn fins. too mush is body damage, body shots, or everybody picking on the same one.
Wow, that was long. Basically have a backup plan and keep an eye on them.
Edit: as for tankmates, only peaceful, un-colorful ones. Maybe a clown/bn pleco, but only if your girls are peaceful. I have some kuhli loaches with them, but this is not recommended, it was a last resort and i am surprised it worked.(I could be wrong, though)

Last edited:

nedpatrick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, thanks. I think I'm going to drop the DG, due to them being very susceptible to dwarf gourami iridovirus, and am debating if I want to follow through with the Harlequins as they can get a bit sensitive to water parameters and I want something really hardy. In fact, a whole new thought for stocking has sprung. I think I want to create a female betta sorority.

I have a few questions that will determine whether I want to do this. Is it simple to set up, or does it require a very experienced fishkeeper? What types of things are required? Can any other fish go in with the bettas? How many bettas would we be looking at? Sorry for all of the questions, I want to know if this is truly something I want to follow through with, before buying it on impulse.
Sororitys can be very easy or hard to set up. You need to have a backup plan for each female if it doesn't work out. So at least a 5 gallon tank for each female if your sorority doesn't work. I would not keep them with other fish except maybe corys or Khulis.

Live Love Aquatic Life

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A sorority sure sounds interesting, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to commit to being able to having that many backup tanks if there was an issue between any of them. I think eventually it would be something I would further consider, so please don't feel like you wasted your energy with your suggestions. I am very grateful for your help, but I think for now anyways, I'll stick with a regular community tank. Maybe later on in life, I'll open up to a sorority.

But back to suggestions for what I think I'd do better with. Some of my favorite fish are: Boesemari Rainbows, Pearl Gouramis, Rosy Barbs, Platies, American Flagfish, Rio-Negro Plecos and Cardinal Tetras. I know that having all of these in a 29/30 Gallon is unrealistic, so I'd like your help in narrowing things down. Also, I doubt all of these are perfectly compatible.

nedpatrick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are the dimensions of the tank?Of the fish you listed platies,cardinal tetras, Florida flagfish(same as American flagfish) and the rio negro Pleco will work. The pearl gourami may work based on the tank dimensions. Are there any other fish you like?

nedpatrick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really like the Rosy Barbs! Are there any fish similar to them that would be compatible? Dimensions are 36x12x16 (LxWxH).
Check out cherry barbs! They do better with more females than males. So in this tank you could do two species of schooling fish and some other fish that do not require schools. So any ideas in what two you want.

Live Love Aquatic Life

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could I have a school of Cherry Barbs, a school of Cardinals and then I really like Gouramis... Could I have Opaline Gouramis instead of Pearls? Or do they require similar tank dimensions to Pearls?

nedpatrick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Could I have a school of Cherry Barbs, a school of Cardinals and then I really like Gouramis... Could I have Opaline Gouramis instead of Pearls? Or do they require similar tank dimensions to Pearls?
Sorry I forgot to mention! Pearls are fine for your tank. When you said 29 i didn't know if this was a standard 29( which could lead to aggression) but with your tank dimensions they are fine! They are also more peaceful than the Opaline.
I don't see any problem with those two schools. And do you want corys for the bottoms or no.

Live Love Aquatic Life

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, my dad just surprised me and said that we're actually getting a 36 Gallon Bowfront. Dimensions are 30 1/4 x 15 1/2 x 20 7/8. (LxWxH). Could my stocking plan still work or would I have to change some stuff up?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom