30 Gallon Tank For 3 Goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by ASquidabs0727, Apr 16, 2017.

1. A

ASquidabs0727 Well Known Member Member

I have three goldfish in a high 30 gallon aquarium. They are only 2 inches long. Ammonia is 0
    Nitrite is 0
    Nitrate is 10
    I got them from a fair and originally kept them in a bowl. I transferred them to a 10 gallon and then the high 30. Unfortunately I think they got stunted when they were in the bowl. Is it okay to keep them in the 30? They haven't grown much and are only 2 inches.

2. vijay3242

vijay3242 Well Known Member Member

Do you know what type of goldfish they are. They are most likely commons and they should only be kept in pond. What type of test kit are you using. I would try to find someone with a pond you can give them too.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Common goldfish. They are only 2 inches and parameters are good. I use the API Master Test kit. Can they be kept in this tank untill they grow? What if they never do since they are probably stunted? ): They have plenty of room to grow currently

4. vijay3242

Yeah so they definitely need to be rehomed. They will grow just slowly and will not have as long of a life. I would rehome them soon so they can grow faster and then you could restock your aqurium.

5. OP
    OP
    A

They were stunted in the bowl. That's why I upgraded. They have plenty of space in that 30 gallon.

6. vijay3242

Not really they will soon outgrow it. The saying that fish only grow as big as their tank is partially true. Their actual body/scales will stop growing but their organs will still grow and their body will burst.

7. OP
    OP
    A

Can they be in there untill they get bigger?

8. vijay3242

Yes probably only for a couple of months though, it will be hard to tell they are stunted though.

9. OP
    OP
    A

How do you unstunt?

10. vijay3242

There is no for sure way except to provide them with the best possible conditions for the rest of their lives.

11. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

If you keep up the good water quality then they will likely continue to grow. Although they will likely not reach the average 12" for common goldfish since they have been stunted. You can take it as it comes and leave them in that 30 gallon temporarily but they would be much happier in a pond.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice