30 gallon tank bowing? Question

1. patrickp96 Initiate Member

Hi! I have had my 29 gallon marineland LED tank set up for a few months now. I have noticed that the front and back have started to bow 1/4 an inch on the front and possibly a little more on the back, but not much. Should i be worried? ive checked around and there is no leaks or cracks. The tank is not PERFECTLY level but VERY VERY CLOSE. I dont think enought to be a problem. Please help or give advice!

:;ufo

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Yes that is an issue. Did you buy it from a pet store or what? If you bought it from a pet store I'd call them up and let them know what is happening and they you'd like to know if you can exchange it or how to get a hold of the company to get a new one.

If its bowing it can end up just breaking out of no where.

3. patrickp96 Initiate Member

Thank you! i will see what i can do

4. patrickp96 Initiate Member

And yes it was from a pet store

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd skip the pet store, really, and go straight to company that made the tank, if you can. If theres no indication of the company on the tank, ask the pet store what company they get them from, and then go from there. Bowing tanks are never good. Ever had a tank bust out in the middle of the night? Not fun!

6. nissan4life Member Member

Whoa that's scary! My 10G is doing the same thing, noticed it when closing the hood! Good thing it's empty. I hope the store is accommodating and replaces your tank without issue :)

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

The store I work at swaps the tank out right away for you and then we send it back to the company versus you trying to deal with the company, probably having to send your tank back (what are you going to do with your fish?) wait for them to get back to you then finally hopefully get a credit or a replacement tank. I would try the pet store first. A lot less hassle depending on the store.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

If the store is totally cool about stuff, by all means go for it. Some stores aren't very understanding about stuff (that I've seen that a lot on here. Seems to be a big issue. Never personally had a problem with stores being like that. Pro's of being a girl? LOL) :rolleyes:

9. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Is this tank acrylic or glass?

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You indicate it's not quite level. Our house is not level, however, the surface the tanks are directly on is level. What is the tank on?

11. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Thats a good point... Did you check with a spirit level?

12. cameronpalte Member Member

What is the base level of your house? That may affect it as above said. That being said, for your fishes sake, I would talk to the company about getting a new one, and if they don't let you, I would stop at the pet store and for the sake of your fish, buy a new tank, you should be able to find just the glass tank for ~$30.

The $30 will definitely be worth it for the life of your fish and the 29 gallons of water that would be spilled on the floor (that would be very bad...).

13. patrickp96 Initiate Member

This is a Glass tank.
    I am not really sure of the level of my house :p i can check that out. It is just barely not level like the bubble on a level touching the right line.
    i feel like it would be a real hassle to get a new tank though...

14. patrickp96 Initiate Member

ps it is on a stand it came with on carpet

15. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Just because you have carpet doesen't mean it will be level. I am confused, is the glass bowing outward, is there a gap between the stand and tank or is the waterline just not level?

16. patrickp96 Initiate Member

The glass is bowing a little less than 1/4 inch outward. It is barely off level like on a level the bubble touches the right line

17. patrickp96 Initiate Member

I just want everyone to know that i just contacted Marineland ( the company it is from ) and they said that it is meant to bow a little because it was not built with a center brace.

18. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I dont believe glass is meant to bow, yes it does so a little, but not something very clearly noticable... i think 1/4" is within reasonable

19. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Oh, shoot. My tank does that too. It's not much, just about a 1/4 inch, but hopefully it's supposed to bow a little, because it has no center brace.

20. cameronpalte Member Member

Try putting your measurement thing on the ground and see how flat your ground is thats an easy way. because ground + tank bent can make things bad.