30 Gallon Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

badaza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, I got a 30-gallon (36"x12"x18") tank from kijiji. I put some water (conditioned it) and fish food in it to start cycling. Not using ammonia if I can help it: with a kid in the house, I prefer using the safer alternative (for him).

It came with:
  • Aquaclear 200 filter (very noisy, not plugged in right now)
  • Fluval U3 filter (currently plugged in)
  • Air pump (I think? It's a Mouse M103)
  • 2 heaters (one of which is a Fluval) (not plugged in right now)
  • Some gravel
Here are my questions:
  • The Aquaclear: Parts over here are almost the same price as replacing it with a new Aquaclear 50. Or another filter altogether. I can get a used a Tetra Whisper EX45 for 20$. I like that the AC covers all 3 parts of filtering. Which one would be best and not too prone to become noisy over time?
  • GPH: if I'm using 2 filters, is it that important to reach the 8-10x tank volume for the HoB?
  • I think I'll want to have "live action" ornaments in the tank. I'll need to use the air pump. What kind of air flow volume should I be looking at to match the height of my tank (which I assume is the biggest factor here)?

Oh, and by the way, I can't find any TSS at a reasonable price here in Quebec.

I can get:
Any suggestions on which one would work best to jump-start a cycle?

Last edited by a moderator:

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can combine the filters to get the total GPH. For example one 180 GPH and one 90 GPH would make 270 GPH which would be suitable for a 30 gallon if you ran them both at the same time.

I used TSS which worked well but I've heard good things about seachem stability.

OP
B

badaza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! And for the HoB filter, I think I'll stick with AC for now. Just a new unit.

Lonewolf9395

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did you clean the motor and impeller for the AC filter? When mine gets noisy I take it apart and clean the inside, that helps a lot. I also found much of the noise on my filter came from the lid rattling, once I removed the lid it is almost silent. Just a few ideas before you go an buy a filter.

And TSS is not available in Canada. I spent a lot of time looking for it, I cycled successfully with Stability.

OP
B

badaza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We rinsed the motor and impeller, but we didn't get into it with a q-tip. The lid increased the noise but didn't cause it.

I'll try cleaning the impeller and motor more thoroughly and see where that gets me. Since I'm fishless right now, I think I can go on with the Fluval, right?

Da_MOJO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
+1 on the SeaChem Stability! Stuff works like magic...LoL Was able to cycle my tank in no time with it.
I have a 29 Gallon tank and I run 3 AquaClears (30, 30, & 50). Currently running one of the 30s to seed it with BB before I use it elsewhere. But I'm tempted to leave it on since you can never have TOO much filtration

As for the noise on the ACs, give them a good cleaning and make sure the plastic piece directly above the impeller is seated properly. Also, make sure the filters are level and not leaning.

Best of luck with the new tank! :emoji_thumbsup:

OP
B

badaza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ah, I didn't know to check the piece above the impeller. I'll check that as well.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you take the intake tube up and off the impeller and set it gently onto the impeller without fully seating it 9/10 whatever's in the will free itself.

OP
B

badaza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Haven't tried anything yet: I've been falling asleep on my feet 2 evenings in a row.

This morning was WC for the 10g: I suspect fin rot on the guppies.

OP
B

badaza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, I checked the AC. Verdict: that plastic piece above the impeller? It's missing one of its 4 legs.

I'll replace the whole thing.

Otherwise, I have ammonia and I think I may have nitrates. I'll need to test more to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom