30 gallon set up

1. FishLover2393 Initiate Member

Hello every one. I am new to the forum and I joined so I could get some help setting up my 30 gallon and possibly any help with future tanks.
    Ok son I am currently setting up my 30 gallon and have the filter light hood everything but gravel and chemical and fish. My question is what fish would be good for the tank. My girl friend looked up some fish and liked cherry barbs and lyrail tail black Molly's. (Hope inspect that right) I know both are community fish but are they good together and what other fish would be good with them. And if they are a no go what would you all recommend. I currently keep a 5 gallon with a very a and five ghost shrimp so I'm making a big jump and any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. In my 30 gal I have one Koi Angelfish as a centerpiece fish, a school of cherry barbs, a school of harlequin rasboras, a school of 6 kuhli loaches, 2 female plecos, 1 Blue eyed L144 lemon BN pleco and 1 Blue eyed yellow ancistrus Bn Pleco. Also 5 nerite snails. You have lots of different options and I am sure others will be on to give you ideas. I combind a couple of tanks into one and moved some fish around which is why I ended up with my current stocking, but am very happy with it. Alison:;hi1

3. FishLover2393 Initiate Member

My original plan for the 30 was to get a sengal bichirr. And stock only fish that would live well with him and a few he could hunt.

4. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Welcome!

In my 29g my (future) stock is:
    1 angelfish
    3 male platies
    11 black phantom tetras
    1 bristlenose pleco
    1 mystery snail

5. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Having an aggressive fish tank is very different from a community tank. I don't know about whether a victor would fit in a 30 once it was full grown. Anders247, LeoDiaz might be able to help.

6. FishLover2393 Initiate Member

I'm looking more for a colorful community tank now. I might do a more aggressive tank later. But this one will go in my living room for people to see.

My ideal tank would be a tank with a lat of smaller colorful fish and one larger colorful fish as a center piece. Once again I'm really wanting to know how the Molly's and barbs would get alone and what would go good with them.

7. MuskieCatcher Member Member

The mollies and barbs will be fine, in terms personalities, but mollies usually like a bit of salt. Maybe look into platies instead, theyre really similar but dont need the salt in the water. Uhhh for tankmates my barbs are with platies, a swordtail, neons, black neons, a bristlenose, a dojo loach, cories, guppies, and gbrs. Thatd be a bit much for a 30, but the bristlenose would likely be a nice idea, and the rams would he fine too, and might make a nice centrepiece if you get a nice pair. The swordtail as well makes an awesome centrepiece fish!

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can keep mollies without salt as long as your water is sufficiently hard (swordtails, platies, and guppies need hard water too).

What about something like this:

10x Cherry barbs
    1-3x Male lyretail mollies
    8-10x Kuhli loaches or Corydoras species (if you go with cories, all individuals of one species)
    8-10x Individuals of another small schooling fish species, like harlequin rasbora, neon tetras, or black widow, etc.

9. MuskieCatcher Member Member

Above sounds awesome to me!

10. FishLover2393 Initiate Member

So me and my gf talked and sense I know more about tanks thanks to my constant research. That she will defer to me in regards to stocking. Her only request is a purple fish. So any ideas guys. I can work better with one fish then I can with two.

11. MuskieCatcher Member Member

Purple is a very difficult colour to find naturally in freshwater. The only thing i can think of is some type of glofish, but they arent legalized everywhere. I think a dwarf gourami or 2 would work for adding a lot of colour, if thats what youre after. Sorry i couldnt be more help

12. FishLover2393 Initiate Member

That's okay. I'm thinking about looking for a Betts that color. I know I could keep him with some other fish but only certain species

13. MuskieCatcher Member Member

Yea, plus a 30 gallon might make the betta seem really small. You still might be able to include a betta in a community, depending on its personality, but definitely add him last, and make sure all the other fish wont nip his fins at all

14. FishLover2393 Initiate Member

Oh I plan to. Plus I plan on getting a half moon crown or a crown and they make themselves look bigger with their fins. I should know I have a red crown tail

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't do a betta in a community tank.

What about purple harlequin rasbora?

16. FishLover2393 Initiate Member

What about gouramis. My local pet store keeps five large gold with guppys and barbs.

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't put the larger gouramis in this tank, but you could do a few honey gouramis, a M/F pair of thicklip gouramis, or a M/F pair of dwarf gouramis (or just one male - never put two males together).

18. FishLover2393 Initiate Member

Okay so I think I have a stocking list. Let me know what you all think.

1 angel fish
    8 harlequin rasboras.
    8 neon or cardinal tetras.
    5 corys

That's what I have so far. Let me know what you all think.

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Do cardinal tetras, not neons, and increase your cories to 8.

Otherwise sounds good!

20. FishLover2393 Initiate Member

Thanks. Ill post an update when I get everything up and running.