30 Gallon Tank 30 gallon question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright, I had to take out a lot of the water (left some in and kept a big bucket of it) because I had to level out the tank... Well now I have everything set back up, but it looks like its going through another cycle at the moment...

How long will this cycle be or estimated will take before I can put my fish back in?

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ah, a mini-cycle! It could have been caused by levelling out the tank, if you flip up more gravel than you would siphoning, new products rise to the surface to add to your ammonia.

It's hard to give a clear time estimate for this, keep an eye on the parameters. It should go away soon enough

EDIT x 3: Ack, only half way through my coffee but it should make sense now!

Last edited:
OP
ExiledxAssassin

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help Zenial!

Also, how long is it safe to leave fish in bowls of water from the fish tank?
I am asking this in case the cycle lasts longer than expected.

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Which fish do you have and how large is the bowl?

The main problem with bowls is they have a decreased surface area as opposed to a normally shaped tank. To improve this, you can try adding an air stone.

Is the bowl cycled? If not, you may have to be changing the bowl everyday/every other day to banish ammonia.

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DG's aren't my field, I hoped someone else will/would have posted.

Your guppies and danios should be ok, considering it's summer there, the ambient temperature of the room should be enough to keep the bowls warm. Without filtration, I advise you should change some water everyday.

Hopefully they can go home soon

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I think your fish are going to be much safer added back to the tank instead of being left in the bowl. If the good bacteria in your tank and filter doesn't have a food source the the bacteria are going to die off and you'll lose the cycle completely.

If you are going through a mini cycle then I suggest daily water changes with Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. Keep up with the daily changes until your readings are back to 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. This will keep your fish safe until you regain the cycle.

Did you do a test and if so can you post the readings please?

If your tank had actually completed the nitrogen cycle to begin with, what you've done should be no different than a large water change, as long as you didn't disturb the filter media and the substrate.

Best wishes,
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%