30 Gallon Paludarium Build

oOturquoiseOo
I'm so very excited!!

Can I use any brand of spray foam or does it have to be great stuff?

I have so much planning to do! Eek!

So far the plan is:

30 gallon rimless
Eheim 2215 to create a waterfall down over the background
Possibly an in tank filter - currently cycled in my 10 gallon
"plastic canvas" to make the land areas and the background
The background will rise above the back of the tank
The tank will have nerite snails and shrimp
Fluorite substrate
Driftwood
Big rocks

Not much else is planned yet. But I'll post pictures of the progress

oOturquoiseOo
Eek! Officially started this today!

30 gallon rimless tank.

I'll add progress pictures as I go along.

Going to add the foam tonight. Cups and basket added to put plants in after.

I can't wait!
9ced9bbe642d4cccc799711ba7373247.jpg
8fb957361b128edf96089726181858e5.jpg
82614e5a29c1aa56e23747b4ff13732a.jpg

psalm18.2
Interesting.

stella1979
Awesome! I'll be watching.

Lorekeeper
Love Paludariums, but it takes a really good scaper to make them look natural.

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

oOturquoiseOo
I'm hoping I have a half a chance at making this look good. Haha!

Now I have to shape the foam tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it somewhere close to the idea I have in my head. Then I have brown silicone to put over the foam..

Eek.
44854caa453e6d30ae9c4cacf860aea5.jpg
dc565e07462646f5aa440131fcab5bb3.jpg

Coradee
Sounds like a fun project, look forward to seeing it progress

oOturquoiseOo
Carving up the foam. Far from done.

Channel at the top carved to fit the spray bar.
95f9d92fa6412e48b6768a1d7d1811df.jpg
91f967a769a28503d44b6bf20ee1ea84.jpg

Fanatic
Very interesting! I have terrariums, and I can’t do this with them, because I keep crabs that need to burrow, and that would steal space from them.

Lorekeeper
Looking good so far!

If I had the space, I'd have a paludarium. Sadly, I've only got space for one or two small tanks at a time, and I love my reef and planted tanks... One day!

oOturquoiseOo
All siliconed and STINKY!! My whole house stinks and I have windows open

Can't wait to start planting it!
e82e33cd37d8b90f5f2232591bd0404e.jpg

Fanatic
Looking really good!

oOturquoiseOo
Looking good so far!

If I had the space, I'd have a paludarium. Sadly, I've only got space for one or two small tanks at a time, and I love my reef and planted tanks... One day!
I've been watching your 5.5 gallon thread. I'm jealous! Haha!

I'm sure you'll have space one day if you really want one. You make space! Haha!

Looking really good!
Thanks! I am really loving how it's coming together.

Goldiemom
Looking good so far!

If I had the talent and the time I'd do it. No clue how to even start but can't wait to see this one finished.

oOturquoiseOo
If I had the talent and the time I'd do it. No clue how to even start but can't wait to see this one finsihed.
YouTube!

If I had the talent and the time I'd do it. No clue how to even start but can't wait to see this one finished.
I'm sorry about the rushed you tube response! I was distracted. Haha!

You tube is where I found instructions. There are a lot of really great videos.

Basically you need something to build the internal structure, usually people use egg crate (the plastic grid that is put on fluorescent lighting) but I couldn't find it anywhere. I used plastic canvas.

Then you have to plan it out and build the structure and cover it with spray foam. Great Stuff pond foam is black or dark brown but I couldn't find it so I used the professional formula. When it's cured you have to carve the foam into a shape you like. I used a steak knife because a serrated blade works best.

I added plastic cups with drainage holes drilled in them to plant when everything is done.

Then you cover all the foam with 100% silicone in brown or black. Usually this is when you would press coconut fibre into it to help it look even more natural. Again, I couldn't find coconut fibre so I just left it. The joys of living in rural Newfoundland. Haha!

When the silicone is cured and you can't smell vinegar anymore the next step is to aquascape the water section or do the dry start method if that's what you decide.

I've seen people use a pump or power head to create the water fall section but I have an unused canister filter with a spray bar so that's what I have decided to use. You have to plan for the filter/pump when you're building the structure and carving the foam. And place for a heater if you need one too.

You can complete enclose the platforms under the water with egg crate but I decided to leave them open to give the shrimp and snails more space. Since I will just have a filter intake and heater there it won't need to be covered (aside from the sponge on the intake.

Also plant the upper section with plants that love water/humidity. Then light it and enjoy ️

I hope that is a tiny bit useful

Goldiemom
Can’t wait for finished product!

oOturquoiseOo
oOturquoiseOo
I started a build thread. I don't know why I didn't think to continue in this one.

oOturquoiseOo
We painted a homemade stand/cabinet (all 2x4 inside) black and moved the tank to its final spot. Dh is totally on board with putting shelves here and filling the whole corner with plants.

I need to build something to hold the light up there now. I don't have a conduit bender thing so I can't do that. I may look for nice brackets and just attach them with a little wood.

There is still a faint vinegar smell. I'm so impatient. I want to plant it NOW! haha!
7ce741500c3b3f8f81296c0d4592783a.jpg

Fanatic
We painted a homemade stand/cabinet (all 2x4 inside) black and moved the tank to its final spot. Dh is totally on board with putting shelves here and filling the whole corner with plants.

I need to build something to hold the light up there now. I don't have a conduit bender thing so I can't do that. I may look for nice brackets and just attach them with a little wood.

There is still a faint vinegar smell. I'm so impatient. I want to plant it NOW! haha! View attachment 430530

Really nice! It's going smoothly I see

KirkyTurkey
Following!

oOturquoiseOo
It's been a week and a half and I still smell vinegar!! Ugh! When is it going to stop?! I'm so impatient. Haha!

Fanatic
It's been a week and a half and I still smell vinegar!! Ugh! When is it going to stop?! I'm so impatient. Haha!

I would try to put a fan on the tank or take it outside to air out.

oOturquoiseOo
Thanks! I'll have to try the fan because, well...

981f9c7f3cbb0b0c3cdca071aae41f30.jpg

aussieJJDude
If your up for it, I would reccomend using peat fiber. Pretty similar to coconut fiber, but readily available.

oOturquoiseOo
Thank you but how would I attach it now that the silicone is dry? And is it safe for shrimp?

I'm in a tiny rural town 2+ hours from the closest town with a pet store. We have a hardware store here but it is not well stocked

aussieJJDude
Thank you but how would I attach it now that the silicone is dry? And is it safe for shrimp?

I'm in a tiny rural town 2+ hours from the closest town with a pet store. We have a hardware store here but it is not well stocked
You may have to use a small layer of silicone... nothing major, and it should easily dry in 24 hours.

Peat is shrimp safe, but contains a lot of tannins so keep an eye on water quality to ensure that pH doesn't swing rapidly.

oOturquoiseOo
You may have to use a small layer of silicone... nothing major, and it should easily dry in 24 hours.

Peat is shrimp safe, but contains a lot of tannins so keep an eye on water quality to ensure that pH doesn't swing rapidly.
Thanks

I'm still waiting for this silicone to cure. I don't know if I want to add more time. Hahaha!

I have tons of plants to plant the top so I'm hoping once it's filled in the background won't be very noticeable. I have a 20 gallon terrarium completely full of plants I plan to put on the paludarium. I'm just itching to get planting

Fanatic
I just realized that in almost every post by you ends or has the word "Haha!" in it

oOturquoiseOo
Yeah... I'm not good with expressing tone on the internet and I worry people will misunderstand me.

oOturquoiseOo
FINALLY getting started.

Bare tank, putting in the dirt, and having a window next to the tank sure makes draining the water fast and easy.

Next step is to wash the dirt off the glass and cap the dirt with fluorite/sand. And then I finally get to plant! Woohoo.
2a0a22034105074ed91519909d2ecc66.jpg
4b4792bed5fd271f657ad4d39581c336.jpg
4af68d562489aeffbd76f77a08c118c1.jpg

Fanatic
oOturquoiseOo
Yes. Ugh.

Fanatic
Goldiemom
So interesting. Thanks for sharing this. Is that snow outside? This Southern gal is amazed at all of it.

oOturquoiseOo
Yes! Tons of snow still. But we had a few days of upper teens (C) and a ton of rain last night. Yesterday morning those Christmas lights were only sticking out a tiny bit right at the top.
db95e7f434b66f6c288681535e17cf19.jpg

stella1979
Feels like summer here already. :hungover:

Fanatic
Feels like summer here already. :hungover:

Yes! I was outside most of the afternoon, it's about 80 degrees now!

oOturquoiseOo
I'm so jealous! But, I'll deal with it to live here. I love Newfoundland

Lorekeeper
I wish it felt like summer here... It's a nippy 59 :/

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies