30 Gallon New Aquarium Question

Greg Marconi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi All,

New aquarium enthusist here, and happy to meet everyone. I have just set up my new 30 gallon acrylic tank and want to make sure it is ok to put fish in without dying. The tempature is 76 degrees and the chemical readings are as follows. I used API stress coat, and quick start treatment this morning.

PH 6.8-7.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

It seems they are all in the right range, but I just want to make sure. Also I would be happy to take any suggestions for the first fish I should put in and the amount.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Marconi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The tank has been running for the day and the treatment mentioned that I am able to add fish immediately. Should I wate longer to see if the Nitrates go up? Should I try something else?

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What treatment? If you put in Stability or SafeStart, you can add your "hardiest" fish that you want for your aquarium(not all fish, just a few), and then wait until you see the readings mentioned above when you use your test kit! After you see the correct readings, feel free to add fish, but only around 2 each week, or maybe even every other week because the bacteria need to be able to handle the bio-load of all the new fish.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Greetings and welcome

If you have not added fish yet I would encourage you to do a fishless cycle with clear ammonia and Seachem Stability. Properly done you can fully stock the tank as there will be far more BB than will be needed and will die back to match the bio load of the fish. The fishless cycle typically takes 7 to 12 days. But you must stock the fish immediately when the cycle is compleat as the BB will starve without ammonia to feed on.

Last edited:

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The nitrates won't go up by themselves. You can do a fish-in or fishless cycle to get your tank ready. You should read though the nitrogen cycle article linked in my post above.

fishfisher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I second the fish less cycle. It was nerve-wracking because the ammonium levels were sky high. Everyone made it but I would have waited had I known. Also what filter are you using? It wasn't until I got an aquaclear 70 that my numbers started going down.
Plus it will give you time to find out what fish you really want if you haven't yet. I love my mollies that I first got, but if I had waited I would have gotten something different.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I also recommend the fishless cycle. That way you have time to let the cycle and think about the fish you really want to have in your tank as opposed to picking just some hardy fish to get through a fish-in cycle. I also would have done a fishless cycle if I had to start over.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom