30 gallon long tank stocking

1. ivonko Member Member

hey guys looking into how i would stock my 30 gallon long (36x16x12) that im getting this weekend

here is kind of what i had in mind
    -4-8 barbs (tiger, albino, emerald green)
    -4-8 danios
    -1 Red Tailed Shark
    -1 crayfish (not sure on species yet)

all the fish are quick so im not worried about the crayfish eating them, and they are all hardy species so the shark shouldnt be a huge issue

i also want my tank to have natural plants so the crayfish might chew some of them up but hopefully not all haha

ive read a whole lot about sharks and possible tank buddies and barbs and danios seem to be the best ones.

what do you guys think?

2. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I think it sounds pretty good, but the danios might not work so well with the tiger barbs. I don't know- they're pretty fast, and I've heard danios are a bit nippy too. People have many varying experiences with RTS, although I've never had one. I don't know, but the RTS might want a bigger tank.

3. ivonko Member Member

danios can be semi aggressive but so are the rest of the inhabitants i plan to have. that way they all can stick up for themselves and nobody is too stressed out.

i do know what you mean about the rts, but its the only reason im getting an aquarium in the first place so its gotta stay lol

thanks

4. ivonko Member Member

another question i have is how would i introduce these fish to my tank (which order?) to keep peace in my tank and avoiding mini cycles

5. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

1. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? (Those words should turn into a link you can read, if you're not.) You may know this already, but it will be awhile before you are able to stock your tank, because you need the bacteria colony to become strong enough to handle the increased bioloads of the fish you add.
    2. I've never had one personally, but from reading comments from other people, red-tailed sharks get to be pretty big and need a larger tank (I think 55 gallons is the bare minimum, but I may be wrong on that.) Also, I believe they're schooling fish, which makes the space problem even worse!
    3. I know danios are nippy (I can't have any in my tank), but I know tiger barbs can be pretty vicious too. I'm not sure if having two aggressive species would be better, or if it would exacerbate the issue. Hopefully someone else can comment on that. :)

Edit: I also noticed that you don't have any bottom feeders. While I don't think they're necessary, it may be something for you to consider :) I always like to have a janitorial crew in my tank.

6. ivonko Member Member

to answer your questions

1. yes I've read on it extensively and will be fully cycling my tank with only plants till its at 0/0/20

2. the rts is my main subject of reading lol, they are best either alone or in larger groups due to their aggresive nature to others of there species, if kept as a pair the alpha will put a lot of stress on the lesser fish, eventually causing it to die.
    i know that they are normally kept in larger tanks but have read on other sources that because they are bottem feeders the length of the tank is the more important part, the 30 long is the same length as the normal 50 gallon so im hoping this will be enough, their maximum length is 6 inches and i have seen larger fish in 30 gallon tanks so i hope it works.

3. i have read that regardless of temperament of fish (peaceful, semi-aggressive, very aggressive) they should be kept with others of similar temperament to avoid over stressing the more peaceful fish.

please comment if my information is incorrect or if you can further educate me

thanks for all comments!

7. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Well I haven't specifically read on RTS; if you've read that maybe I'm thinking of a different shark! Come to think of it, I think I may be thinking of bala sharks. Also, I (at this point) prefer peaceful community tanks, so I haven't kept any nippy aggressive fish. I will caution though, that I've read plenty of incorrect information online! Hopefully someone who has kept these fish will be able to comment further.

8. ivonko Member Member

Thank you for your comment all the same. The bala shark and its couterparts rainbow and red tailed sharks are very similar but the bala shark grows to 16 inches while the former grow to 6.
    and i do agree lots of internet information is false due to companies being more interested in selling a fish than giving the owner truthful information on it.

9. ivonko Member Member

does my aquaium setup sound overstocked for a 30 gallon? anyone?

because i did the math and at 1 gal per inch of fish and here is what i got

danios= 2.5x5=12.5
    tiger barbs= 2.5x5=12.5
    rts=6
    cray fish=3-5 i went with 5 to be safe
    total=36 inches. this seems like a safe number. considering its fairly well balanced. 11 in at the bottem/ middle and 25 top/middle

but i know its not all about numbers so somebody please let me know!