30 gallon filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Jon25, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jon25Valued MemberMember

Can i use a penguin 200 or 350 on a 30 gallon tank, or will this cause to much filtration and current?

2. throwthesandValued MemberMember

What are you keeping in it?

3. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

10x the volume of the tank is reccomend for the gph. I usually do much more than that. Better safe than sorry!

Welcome to fishlore, both of you :)

4. Jon25Valued MemberMember

not sure what exactly i'm going to have in yet, still getting it set up and trying to find the plants i want to put in it. I am considering having a Dwarf gourami, one red tailed shark, a school of 6 cherry barbs, and another schooling fish. But i change my mind on fish about twice a week.

5. NikitaWell Known MemberMember

You will need filter with 300 GPH (Gallons Per Hour) at minimum for a 30 gallon fish tank.

A Redtail shark requires at least a 55 gallon tank to be happy and healthy in. It will get way too big and aggressive for a 30 gallon. It would be more comfortable in a 55g or more tank.

6. freak78Well Known MemberMember

Definitely the penguin 350.

7. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I have used the penguin 350 in one of our 30gal tanks for the last 3 years along with an UG filter. It has served me well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice