30 Gallon Community Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Pfiz113, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Pfiz113New MemberMember

Hello,

I currently have a 10 gallon tank with a few guppies and platiea, and i just bought a 30 gallon. I am thinking of a communtco tank with guppies 7-8, platies 7-8, peppered Cory catfish 5-6, angelfish 1-2 and amano shrimp.

Maybe a honey guarami.

I read through some posts and it seems like all these fish should get along.

I am running a 30 gallon fluval filter with a sponge filter. Sand substrate. I will cycle the 30 gallon before adding the fish to it.

Any thoughts? I am fairly new to fish keeping.

Thanks,

Mike

2. FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

Angel fish like warmer temps and is best to keep them in warmer water, 78-80 degrees. Peppered corydoras like cool temps. I keep mine in 72 degree water. Platies are wonderful at most temps. Amanos would get eaten by the angelfish. HOney gourami would need warm water, like the angels. I keep;
    6 corydoras (cool temps)
    6 danios
    1 paradise fish
    and some other cooler temp fish in a planted tank.

Unless I was keeping one by himself, I wouldn't keep an angelfish in a 30 with others. Cichlids like space and territory, and also eat small tankmates. He will also get about 6-7 inches, maybe more. Is there other fish you would like to keep? I can help with other stocking if you'd like.

3. Pfiz113New MemberMember

Looking for a centerpiece fish with guppies and platies. I am open to suggestions

4. FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

Based around guppies and platies... how about a haram of dwarf gourami/honey gourami? I don't really like guppies due to temperament and size, but what if you rehomed the guppies and got endler guppies instead? They stay really small and are super peaceful. They have bright green and orange coloration and school pretty well. Platies I would keep in the 10, and centerpieces would look nice with the honey gourami haram. Thoughts?

5. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What about something like this?

8-12x Peppered cories (more is better for them)
    6-8x Male guppies
    4-6x Male platies
    2x Bolivian rams

Keep the tank around 73 F.

6. FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

Aren't rams bottom dwelling cichlids? I've heard of them killing corydoras during breeding time.

7. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Yes, but they'll go all over the tank as well. They're usually pretty peaceful, even when breeding. Them killing cories is very rare. They should be fine together.

8. Pfiz113New MemberMember

I heard if there is 1 angelfish in the community tank, it would not be aggressive towards the other smaller fish?

9. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Not necessarily true, it depends on the species. The angel might eat small schooling fish, and it may pick on/fight with gourami or dwarf cichlids.

An angelfish wouldn't be a good choice for your stocking though. They need much warmer temps than the peppered cories, and there isn't much temperature overlap between the angel and the platies either.

10. Pfiz113New MemberMember

Thanks for the advice. So maybe dwarf gurami would be a better fit.

11. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

A single male dwarf gourami sounds like a good fit!

12. Pfiz113New MemberMember

Thanks for all the input. What I am probably gonna do is the following for my 30 gal community tank.
    5 fancy guppies
    5 platies
    5 peppered corys
    3 honey gourami

13. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

There's not a whole lot of temperature overlap between the low temps that the peppered cories need (below 74 F) and the honey gourami (above 73 F). I might go with a different gourami/centerpiece or a different cory species.

Whatever cory species you add, I'd get at least 8 individuals.

I'd also make sure the livebearers are all males.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice